Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: Tom Gresham of Gun Talk TV & Radio wont come to OC.com

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ass-land (Ashland) OR, , USA
    Posts
    267

    Post imported post

    Tom Gresham (( who I really admire )) says and I kind of agree says that any gun type forum were the posters / participants wont use their real name is a waist of time.

    ((( notice I said I "Kind of" agree, I'm here after all , lol ))))


    Tom says he always uses his real name and will only go to a very select few forums and post or read posts, and also says there is no good reason to hide behind a fake name or kooky ID.

    Fear of Anti's, Islamic terrorists , stalker's, the boss, the wife, the FBI etc.... he say's is an excuse to "hide" behind a computer and post half truth, hyperbole and total arm chair warrior B.S.


    What say You (( Me >> No Fear >> my ID is my name & town were I live ))



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    I heard that comment he made listening to the archived show, so it was too late to call in and debate that one with him.

    One word with a lot of implications: Privacy.

    His argument is way to similar to "If you don't have anything to hide...."


    I'm going to try to call in and bring it up with him this weekend, as well as address two other points I think he was incorrect on.





  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    I am a hugeproponentwith the line of thought that it is best to keep some form of anonymity when posting on a publicly viewable forum. Especially when it could be considered controversial by some.

    There are many weirdos out there, why should I give them an easy task of finding my home address, phone number and all sorts of other information that they can use to harass me?

    From that comment alone, the guy sounds like a real ********* to me! And he also has no concept or reality.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    In Michigan, we've had police tell us bluntly they closely monitor the forums. I've watched police at Michigan events go run everyones plates and I'm sure take dashcam footage. I've had my ID unlawfully seized, as have many others here. I've made many formal written complaints to LE agencies. I've had many thousands of people see me OCing. And we've experienced almost relentless press coverage of our Michigan events. So I am not aware of a more publicly visible forum than this one.

    Many here, including me do not want to make our exact names and residences clear to everyone everywhere via the web. But that doesn't change the simple facts I listed above.

    I think this web site represents the most courageous and dedicated segment of the lawful gun owning population of the US. Particularly for those in the states where OC is still in its infancy and police tend to be abusive. Dismissing us as arm chair cowards or something like that is either uneducated or just plain wrong. Maybe it's an excuse for him to stay out of our cause?


    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    Tom says he always uses his real name and will only go to a very select few forums and post or read posts, and also says there is no good reason to hide behind a fake name or kooky ID.
    Good for him. However, I personally dont give adamn what Gresham, or anyone else, thinks about using a "fake name or kooky ID". He chooses to use his real name,good for him, it's his choice.Other folks prefer not to, it's their choice. People who use alias' have no less to say than people who post their real names and what they have to say is no less important just because they use a alias.

    Tom will only go to "veryselect few forums". I get the impression that he has a real high opinion of himself, like it's a great privilege/honor to have Tom Gresham post on a blog. I dont share that opinion and am glad he dos'nt waste his time posting here.




    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sixburgh, ,
    Posts
    92

    Post imported post

    Well, I can tell you my real name sure isn't Armond.

    People who expect full disclosures over the internet are living in a dream world.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    I wonder how many Anony Mouses are registered to vote and how many have sworn their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor.

    John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence in large script while Anony Mouse's signature is so small that it cannot be seen if, indeed, it is there.

    The most amusing of all is an anonymous gallus-snapper that claims membership in all sorts of elite brotherhoods and then damns the elite standing alone.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    222

    Post imported post

    style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"Huck:

    Tom will only go to "veryselect few forums". I get the impression that he has a real high opinion of himself, like it's a great privilege/honor to have Tom Gresham post on a blog. I dont share that opinion and am glad he dos'nt waste his time posting here.



    Funny, I was just listening to him today on my way to where I am now (I download the shows and listen to them on a CD in my car), and felt that in some way this would touch a nerve here.

    Now that I'm logging on, my hunch seems correct.

    I think Tom is actually a fairly humble guy. I believe in this case "select few" refersto a handful of forums in which people generally use their real names, which he prefers. Unfortunately,he conflates the idea of goofy people posting inaccurate/irrelevant/nonsensical information and hiding behind anonymity, with the legitimate need to discuss the things we love to participate in without giving the wrong people an easy way to find out where we are and get in touch with us.

    I applaud anyone's efforts on OCDO to contact him and make a reasoned rebuttal.

    But don't let this color your view of Tom and his show - I think there's a decent man at the other end of that microphone, who loves guns and cares about the rights of the shooting community.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Illinois, USA
    Posts
    778

    Post imported post

    I don't disagree with him entirely. Anonymity does nothing for one's credibility. However a guy like Gresham is already in the public's eye, so he really does not lose much in the way of privacyby posting under his real identity.

    I post on one forum using my real name, and on a number of other forums while the handle I post by is not my full name, my identity is widely known among forum members.

    BTW, my name really is Bob, and I really am from Illinois, thus ILBOB.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    The only forum I know of where I've bumped into his posts is THR. I mean no disrespect to THR, but it has a lot of newcomers to guns with a lot of newcomer questions. It also doesn't seem to have any more people using their real names than here.

    With a forum like this, where everyone is concentrated on a specific gun related subject, and a large portion of posters are truly experts with that subject "big names" from gun magazines tend not to post, at least not using their real names. The only forum I can think of off hand that this doesn't apply to is Uzitalk.com and subguns.com, which have people from Small Arms Review, which isn't exactly a big time magazine anyway.

    I would say that in a place like this, gun writers could easily be out of their element, because they are supposed to be these great experts, and they could easily know less than average about OC and the related laws. Not saying that's why Tom specifically won't post here, but I think that's why you don't see tons of gun writers posting here and other gun forums devoted to a specific type of gun or gun subject.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sixburgh, ,
    Posts
    92

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    I wonder how many Anony Mouses are registered to vote and how many have sworn their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor.

    John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence in large script while Anony Mouse's signature is so small that it cannot be seen if, indeed, it is there.

    The most amusing of all is an anonymous gallus-snapper that claims membership in all sorts of elite brotherhoods and then damns the elite standing alone.
    Interesting. I hadn't realized the Declaration of Independence was a casual online medium.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    I disagree.

    Anonymity is your best defense while using the internet. I remember a story about 2 years ago of a gradeschool teacher fired from her job because of some party pictures she posted on facebook. You might say well thats not gun related and she posted those pictures. How far of a stretch might that be for some local law enforcement showing up at your door with warrent in hand because of some forum posts.

    A public person like Tom Gresham won't lose anything for posting under his real name.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    SteveInAshand wrote:
    Tom Gresham (( who I really admire )) says and I kind of agree says that any gun type forum were the posters / participants wont use their real name is a waist of time.

    ((( notice I said I "Kind of" agree, I'm here after all , lol ))))


    Tom says he always uses his real name and will only go to a very select few forums and post or read posts, and also says there is no good reason to hide behind a fake name or kooky ID.

    Fear of Anti's, Islamic terrorists , stalker's, the boss, the wife, the FBI etc.... he say's is an excuse to "hide" behind a computer and post half truth, hyperbole and total arm chair warrior B.S.


    What say You (( Me >> No Fear >> my ID is my name & town were I live ))

    That is an outrageous statement. Many of the subjects he lists have justified reasons for avoiding. Why didn't he go ahead and add Hitler's Gestapo to that list? Perhaps hindsight tells us pseudonymous communications were effective in ridding the world of Hitler's tyranny.

    First, there is historically justified precedent to the use of pseudonyms to preserve some level of privacy for authors. Primarily, book authors use pseudonyms so they can continue to write content people want to read, without being stalked, harassed, raped or potentially worse.

    Second, all of the subjects he lists may use information gathered from real names, for good, or evil purposes. None of which may be immediately apparent to the public at large until some level of evil is committed on the population, which is subsequently exposed. Ever hear of government whistleblowers exposing corruption?

    1) pseudonymous communication is not the same as anonymous communication, and no post on a standard message board is 100% anonymous.

    2) pseudonymous communications are always authenticated by some means, and the reader is given some level of assurance that the person who wrote a message, is that same person from previous messages.

    Would we rather people be subject to the wrath of the parties he mentions, which includes harassment, defamation, oppression, and even death, even though they legally didn't do anything wrong? Would people voluntarily speak out if they risked any of these potentially life threatening events?

    Some individuals have a national radio talk show host, that would gain a large amount of public exposure to correct any wrongdoings done to them by harassers or government oppressors. That's a nice benefit they enjoy, but most of us don't have that sort of leverage. The rest of us have pseudonymous communication.

    If Tom is concerned about the content of the information, he should know that pseudonyms can still be fact checked to the point of loss of credibility, and noone would subsequently rely on information from that pseudonym. The reverse is also true.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sixburgh, ,
    Posts
    92

    Post imported post

    nofoa wrote:
    I disagree.

    Anonymity is your best defense while using the internet. I remember a story about 2 years ago of a gradeschool teacher fired from her job because of some party pictures she posted on facebook. You might say well thats not gun related and she posted those pictures. How far of a stretch might that be for some local law enforcement showing up at your door with warrent in hand because of some forum posts.

    A public person like Tom Gresham won't lose anything for posting under his real name.
    Stupid, probably full of **** example:

    A person on another forum I post on claimed that the FBI showed up at her friend's door over a picture of him posing with an "assault rifle" posted on Facebook, because "that's what the FBI has to do when people post pictures of guns" and he had to prove it was a fake gun.

    Apparently guns are FBI-investigating-a-sighting illegal here in the good old US.

  15. #15
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Post imported post

    Tom who?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558

    Post imported post

    zoom6zoom wrote:
    Tom who?
    This and I could care less what some idiot thinks. OPSEC PEOPLE
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509

    Post imported post

    Doesn't Greshem oppose OC?

  18. #18
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Post imported post

    Armond Reese wrote:
    Stupid, probably full of @#$% example:

    A person on another forum I post on claimed that the FBI showed up at her friend's door over a picture of him posing with an "assault rifle" posted on Facebook, because "that's what the FBI has to do when people post pictures of guns" and he had to prove it was a fake gun.

    Apparently guns are FBI-investigating-a-sighting illegal here in the good old US.
    So why aren't they showing up at *our* doors? BS flag (Stupid, probably full of @#$% example Yep.

    Also, not to trip anyone's paranoia, but, depending on the host site's cooperation with LE, LE can track you down whether you use a nom-de-plume or not. Packet information will lead them back to the originating unit without your actual name.

    It all depends on the host site and whether they stand by privacy laws or not.


    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Really? My ISP's nearly 500,000 customers share less than a thousand IPs (prolly about 600). The DAMA queuing latency suggests that most may be simultaneously on-line at prime time. RBLs are a pain indicating that individual users aren't traced or logged.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , Puerto Rico, USA
    Posts
    73

    Post imported post

    Nutczak wrote:
    I am a hugeproponentwith the line of thought that it is best to keep some form of anonymity when posting on a publicly viewable forum. Especially when it could be considered controversial by some.


    Yes. Completely agreed.


    In fact, of all the forums I've joined and viewed, I've never seen one in which any significant number of people use their real names.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    716

    Post imported post

    My wife is a public employee. It has happened that someone recognized me online and gave her grief at her job because they couldn't mess with me directly. I'm more careful now.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ass-land (Ashland) OR, , USA
    Posts
    267

    Post imported post

    Good Thread: Reading all your views I see both sides are legitimate in certain circumstances.

    Take a gun tech forum for example I see no need to hide behind a made up handle, but out here on OC speaking about cutting edge 2A politics were one could possibly predict many scenarios of violent struggle the heart of the nation and personal conflicts with authority figures and I see the value of not using ones name or state.

    Myself: I don't have a job or spouses job that's need's protection from retaliation nor any family for that matter so I am wild & free to stand up for what is right without compunction and be the armed nail that stand out amongst the other nails.

    I am not worth any more alive than I am dead , being politically worthless, unaccomplished, unsubstantial & totally unknown except for some low level law enforcement war gaming data gatherer's , and a few trolling Marxists is kind of liberating.

    Hell if I converted and dressed up as an orthodox Islamic radical and started proselytizing our soldiers hiding behind a PHD diploma and started spewing a line of anti American hate , why I would bet even the FBI would not even be able to keep a tight leash on me,







  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    KBCraig wrote:
    Doesn't Greshem oppose OC?
    Actually, everything I've heard him say on his show supports open carry. He is somewhat pragmatic, however, and readily urges people to get their states' version of a CWP/CCW to open more avenues to them (loaded carry, loaded in-car transport, etc.), until such a time as they (the licence/permit) becomes obsolete.

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Well the whole title of this thread is wrong Tom Gresham has an account and has posted on OCDO. I do agree with his premise more gun owners need to come out of the closet.

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/users/4311.html

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Nutczak wrote:
    I am a hugeproponentwith the line of thought that it is best to keep some form of anonymity when posting on a publicly viewable forum. Especially when it could be considered controversial by some.
    Especially when one's name can be plugged into Google and turned up in .21 seconds.

    I've talked to more than one OCer in person whose job would potentially become difficult if their name was found connected to OC.

    Also, don't forget that employers are known to google job applicants, checking Facebook and so forth.

    I think it best to let each decide whether he can afford to have hisnameconnected publicly to OC.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •