• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Gunshow

Elysium

imported post

I decided to attempt my first real public open carry this weekend at a gun show. I figured it would be the most receptive place to start. It was a glorious dayso no jacketneeded. I tucked myshirt in andputon my holster.After I parked the car, I opened my case, inserted mag and chambered a round and placed my S&W M&P .40 in my holster. I nervously walked through the parking lot. I remember seeing a guy open carrying a rifle with no case and thought perfect no one will look twice at me.

As I entered the building there were 2 men at seperate tables. I asked the man collecting money if I could open carry in there. He said he didn't care what I did as long as I paid him the $5. The other man checking gunsasked if I was "on duty" to which I replied no I am a citizen and open carry is legal. He stated that the organizer wants no loaded weapons at the show. The man taking the money piped up and agreed with me that I should be able to carry.

Not wanting to cause a sceene or get the cops called, I disarmed and let the man place a zip tie through my action. Now with the action open the gun barely fit in the holster. Trigger was exposed and all. Not safe at all even unloaded. Regardless itfit well enough to hold it in place.I figured if anything did go down I still had my clip andmy jackknife whichwould take care of that zip tie real fast.

As I walked around the show I got a lot of looks at my weapon. I did see one seller open carrying but his mag was out too. Just a fewvendors asked about it and if I was selling it to which I replied "No Way!". Kind of a disappointingexperiance but did help me become more comfortable. I did buy myself a new rifle though. As I was filling out thepaperwork, I noticed a young lad stare at my side arm.

I am going to write the host of the show and state the folly in not allowing open carry especially when a zip tieis the only thing standing between the bullet and the chamber. Like I said a blade would make any gun there ready to fire. Come to think about it I dont recall the rifle I bought even having a zip tie in it.I hope some of you would join me in contacting the host.

Contact Us - Bob and Rocco

1111 W. Delavan Dr.
Janesville, WI 53546

(608) 752-6677

Pucci@gmaprinting.com

smithman

imported post

Bob and Rocco gun shows have traditionally been against OC in the show. What they fail to remember is that you are still responsible for whatever happens with that gun when you choose to carry it loaded.

I attempted to OC a few years ago at a Bob and Rocco show before it was in vogue to OC. The gun checker also asked me if I was a cop. I said no, that OC is legal by regular persons. Then he said "well, maybe, but then they get you for something else"...he was referring to disorderly conduct. But now he should be more educated.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I do not believe that ND was from some one Ocing. It was at a vendors table if I am not mistaken. Any one OCing should and I said"should" have enough brains to know they are to never unholster unless loading or unloading in a safe area, or to protect their life or the life of another.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I do not believe that ND was from some one Ocing. It was at a vendors table if I am not mistaken. Any one OCing should and I said"should" have enough brains to know they are to never unholster unless loading or unloading in a safe area, or to protect their life or the life of another.
It was at a vendor's table. That will not stop those who run the shows from discouraging OC.

32HR MAG

imported post

Vendors table and it was two tables away from me.Word was that the customer put a round in the firearm.If I remember right he was charged with something ,but don't recall what.I walked over later to observe the half dollar size indent in the concrete floor.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

To you newer members I Posted on this subject about a year and half ago. It concerned me that here we are at a gun show that has probably close to 100% gunright supporters and the carry of loaded firearms is prohibited. I attend aout 15 gun shows a year in both Wisconsin and Minnesota. They all have a policy of not allowing loaded guns on the premisis. I was concernedabout the hypocricy and looked into it. It gets a little complicated in Wisconsin because if the gun show is in an Armory or other goverment/ public building state statutes prohibit the carry. The bottom line however is not the RKBA philosophy of the show organizers, it is all about insurance. Nearly all insurance companies that insure gun shows refuse to do so if loaded firearms are allowed on the premisis, law enforcement excepted. It is the insurance companies your letters should be addressed to not Bob and Rocco.

comp45acp

imported post

The Wisconsin Patriots have had tables at several Bob and Rocco gunshows at Waukesha. We always carry without incident.

Of course, Bob knew we had all received proper training to carry a firearm in public.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

comp45acp wrote:
The Wisconsin Patriots have had tables at several Bob and Rocco gunshows at Waukesha. We always carry without incident.

Of course, Bob knew we had all received proper training to carry a firearm in public.
:lol:

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
comp45acp wrote:

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ AACFI II

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Rocco is up in the great hunting grounds in the sky retreiving an endless amount of game birds. He died over a year ago.
That is why they are called the "Rocco Memorial Gun Shows" these days.
He's got a new Rocco now, a 6 month old lab. It is still irritating that he doesn't allow OC, but I think this is how he earns a living and losing host locations isn't in his best interest. The fact that it is a public building shouldn't matter in this case. The law doesn't differenciate between loaded and unloaded weapons in the building and firearms are clearly allowed at the gun shows in public buildings.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
comp45acp wrote:

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ AACFI II
Yeah I didn't think it was worth commenting on. it is funny though how the Wisconsin Patriot Members will come on here and put members down and act like we are so beneath them. Yet Their organization has accomplished far less then OCDO. And they're all "properly trained." ROFLMFAO.