• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Guns as gifts

ScottyDog

imported post

I did search a little, but couldnt find an exact answer on the threads... so.,.

2 months ago my bro-in-law passed. He had told the family that he wanted me to have his Beretta 92FS should anything should happen.

There was no official will. But verbally the family knows this was his wish.

My question. Now that I have it do I own it legally or do I have to fill out any forms. I'm afraid to carry it atm for fear of carrying a "hot" gun, and I dont want to have it seized since it holds very special meaning for me.

-Scott

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

Clearly it can't be reported as stolen so I wouldn't worry about it. You are not required by law to register firearms in Washington state so it shouldn't be an issue. If your brother in law happened to register it under his name it's still not an issue as it hasn't been reported stolen.

Sorry for your loss.

ScottyDog

imported post

Thanks you for your reply. I figured that was the case but just needed to hear it from another person.

I know it was never reported stolen. :)

I truly appreciate all the cool people on this site. God Bless America :celebrate

-Me