• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

8th District Court of Appeals rules FOR Cleveland

JSK333

imported post

Isn't Arnold vs. Cleveland the case where they affirmed open carry as a right under the Ohio Constitution? And said the 2nd Amendment to US Constitution only protected militias, not individuals' right to bear arms?

It's clear that case is irrelevant in several areas since the US Supreme Court has since affirmed in Heller that the 2nd Am. protects individuals.

So for this 8th District to rely mostly/solely on that case seems pathetic.

I agree, OSC will probably (and obviously should) reverse it.

D_Weezy

imported post

Is there any other City in Ohio that is fighting against 9.68 compliance? Your politicians up there are some real jewels. That area must be full of sheep. They keep voting for them.

RT48

imported post

D_Weezy wrote:
Is there any other City in Ohio that is fighting against 9.68 compliance?
Yes, the City of Englewood in the Maynard vs. Englewood case. I believe that is in southern Ohio.

jtallen1190

imported post

jabeatty wrote:
8th District Court of Appeals rules FOR Cleveland

http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/pdf/8/2009/2009-ohio-5968.pdf

The Court found 9.68 to violate the Home Rule Amendment of the Ohio Constitution, and that it violates the separation-of-powers doctrine espoused by the Ohio Constitution.
what about the other laws that this conflicts with the 9.05Public Arms and 1.04 bearing arms clause also. I do not think this will stand. I think its rediculous what they are trying to do. People have to defend their right to restrict government power as stated in the Bill Of Rights.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I dont even understand how this hasent been laughed out of court,I dont know how long it took to get premption in this state but it makes a mockery out of the hard work of all the people including the polititions who got it passed in the first place. This is complete bs and shouldnt even have gone into court for the reason there is preemption in this state and if the people of CLE want a gun free town,Go to Chicago!

jtallen1190

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I dont even understand how this hasent been laughed out of court,I dont know how long it took to get premption in this state but it makes a mockery out of the hard work of all the people including the polititions who got it passed in the first place. This is complete bs and shouldnt even have gone into court for the reason there is preemption in this state and if the people of CLE want a gun free town,Go to Chicago!
In the law it clearly states- In all parts of Ohio- ORC 9.68 Preemption is not needed in this case. We the people should have the choice not some fake judge. In my bible, It says Only God can judge me. No courtroom should have the right to take away our right to defend ourselves. A person without a means of defense is a victim. I am disabled and have plenty medical issues for a 23 year old and I will bear arms because I do not want to be a victim. My laws come from a higher power than that of this world.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jtallen1190 wrote:
Bustelo5% wrote:
In the law it clearly states- In all parts of Ohio- ORC 9.68 Preemption is not needed in this case. We the people should have the choice not some fake judge. In my bible, It says Only God can judge me. No courtroom should have the right to take away our right to defend ourselves. A person without a means of defense is a victim. I am disabled and have plenty medical issues for a 23 year old and I will bear arms because I do not want to be a victim. My laws come from a higher power than that of this world.
Even so, we must function within the laws of this one.

Yata hey

jtallen1190

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
jtallen1190 wrote:
Bustelo5% wrote:
Even so, we must function within the laws of this one.

Yata hey
When will they know the conclusion to the case.

Makarov

imported post

Lower court findings do not over ride the Ohio Supreme Court. The case must proceed to the higher court fora ruling.