• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Food Lion--Deputy comments...

Dreamer

imported post

While I was unloading my cart into my vehicle after shopping at the Food Lion this evening, a man pushing his cart by stopped and said "Glad to see you carrying. Are you an officer?"

I said no, that I carried for protection, and then I moved into the "NC is an open carry state" speil.

He then replied, "yes, I know, I'm a Beaufort County Deputy Sheriff. I wish more people would carry because it helps keep things "in check". He then went on to say that 10 years ago, you used to see lots of people OC, but not so much any more. He again said he was glad to see that I was carrying, and asked what I had.

We had a short discussion about the 1911, and my Para, and about OC in general, but the weather was getting sort of nasty (misty rain and gusty wind) so we exchanged names, and went our way.

I was glad to find that off-duty Deputies are 1) keeping their eyes open, and 2) pro-OC. At least here in Beaufort County, it seems that OC is something that LEOs agree with. It's good to find out that many of them are "on our side".

Too bad the next town over (Greenville) isn't nearly as pro-OC...

Jason Rogers

imported post

What a breath of fresh air. We all hear anecdotaly that "most" LEOs feel this way, especialy the rank and file patrole officers. I commend this deputy and wish more would express this same ideal. I wonder if he responded to a MWAG call and other officers/deputies where giving the OCer a hard time if he would take this same stance and tell them to knock it off and send the OCer on his/her way.

Many posters on this and other forums are quick to lambast any LEO who is hostile to OC. I am one of them. I am just as quick to commend any LEO who respects us and our rights, as all LEOs should. This is one LEO who knows the law and respects others. Let us not allow the badge heavy JBTs to cause us to paint all with a broad brush.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm just scared to open carry, honestly, and I hope he would have that attitude toward anyone he say open carrying that was being law abiding.

Glad to hear of it though.

glockaholic

imported post

I'm just scared to open carry, honestly, and I hope he would have that attitude toward anyone he say open carrying that was being law abiding.

Glad to hear of it though.

You're not alone. We all experience fear the first few times OC'ing. One of the easiest way to get started is to OC with a group. Have you considered attending one of the OC dinners that are organized from time to time?