• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunters, beware of those pesky school zones

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My letter to the deer hunters regarding the safe school zones statute.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/news/opinion/article_a970264a-cfed-11de-8e10-001cc4c002e0.html
With the approach of Wisconsin's gun and muzzleloader deer seasons, I felt it necessary to write the paper to remind all deer hunters to be aware of Wisconsin's "safe school zones" statute. Wisconsin is one of only a few states that still have this law on the books, and violation of this law is a felony (loss of all firearms forever).
The law makes possession of a firearm within 1,000 feet (0.19 miles) of school property a felony unless your firearm is unloaded and encased, or you are on private property. So when you park on the side of the road and remove your firearm from your vehicle/case, be certain you are more than two-tenths of a mile from the edge of school property (as the crow flies) before you uncase the firearm. This is especially important for those hunting near rural communities. You need to be aware of not only where the schools are but also the property lines of those schools, and you must be more than two-tenths of a mile away from those property lines while in possession of an uncased firearm on any public roadway.

Remember your four basic safety rules: Treat every firearm as if it is loaded; always point the muzzle in a safe direction; be sure of your target, and what is in front of and beyond it; and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. Be safe out there.

opusd2

imported post

I still find it amazing to read this kind of garbage since when I was in high school we had gun racks that were not empty in the school parking lots and were never hauled off as terrorists, we had classes where we brought in our bows and guns and actually hunted as a class, and even hunted behind the school after school hours and on the weekends. But we did get suspensions for bringing in pop, namely it was a six pack of Jolt and it pissed me off to see it poured out in the parking lot. Go figure.

opusd2

imported post

But I liked the letter you wrote. It was dripping with a tasty sarcasm that only others with similar beliefs would see, and others would see the safety aspects which (don't get me wrong) are also important. There are idiots who grab a highly powered firearm only one week out of the year and call themselves hunters.