Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC'ers trash pickup in slidell

Post imported post

A good Gause Blvd location would be to meet at the large parking lot at Hobby Lobby, about 3 blocks off of i-10 (good for out-of-towners). We could work our way down Gause to Lakewood drive, back up the other side of Gause to I-10, then back to the parking lot. There is lots of traffic, lots of private businesses, resturants and eateries along here also.It will take placeon November 21st at 9:00am. We need at least 10 members to join this event.

Post imported post

If I can get off of work I'll be there... can't make any promises yet

Post imported post

Check for the Gun Free School zones. I'm notfamiliar with the area, so you local guys need to step up and check this out.

Post imported post

The school zones were checked, thats kinda why this location was decided on.

I'm super excited about this event, been thinking about something like this for a while. Next Saturday will be my first day of vacation, I've cleared it with the wife, and I will be there.

I will be bringing a box of latex gloves for the dirty work. Someone needs to bring a box of trashbags.

We also need to think about where we will dispose of the trash, will someone bring it back home, or can we dispose it in a nearby dumpster?

Anyone thought to post this event in the Mississippi forum? Might get someone from the coast or I-59 to come down. I will check on that and handle it if I don't see any posting.

edit: spelling

Post imported post

There will be an open carry litter pickup in Slidell on November 21th, at 9am. Anyone from the MS coast area or up I-59 that are interested, please come join in the event. The meet up will be at the Slidell Hobby Lobby parking lot. The goal of this litter pickup is to promote public awareness about open carry and community service clean up.

Where: Slidell La, 1555 Gause Blvd, front of the parking lot near Gause Blvd. (about 2 blocks from I-10)
    When: November 21th, 9a.m. till Noon
    What to bring: trash grabbers (the stick with the pinchers on the end), walking shoes, your choice of sidearm and holster, drinks, video cameras
    Will be provided: trash bags, disposable latex gloves

edit: add video camera

Post imported post

Well, I'm supposed to be in Mississippi that day, but if I can stop by on the way, I will.

Post imported post

anyone thought about a press contact? Just what are you thoughts about this?

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    why are SOME OC'ers so fixated on picking up someone else's trash?

It was funny the first time. Now?... :quirky

Hey guys. Good luck with the pick-up. I hope you have a good turn out. Somebody take photos and video to document it and let us know where we can see it (youtube?). Be careful.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Mark,

You should come out here Saturday morning.

1. I'd really like to meet you

2. It would be a good sign of support for our cause

3. I promise we won't MAKE you do any work

4. just might have a chance encounter with SPD or STPSO

Banned

Post imported post

Yeah, what's next, painting fire stations? or building houses. Cleaning up at the stockyards?

Post imported post

Thanks, but no thanks.
    You can meet me just about any time, PM me.
    Not sure just what "cause" you're referring to.
    LOL, I'd work circles around any of you guys, even half my age.
    Not all that interested in having any "chance" encounters, that's not what I'm about.
    LOL riiiight.....
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
    anyone thought about a press contact? Just what are you thoughts about this?

ok, tonight Mike Stollenwerkhas contacted me and I think he wants to take care of the press. I should be talking with him further on this topic tomorrow.

Also, post up here if you are FOR SURE GOING ON SATURDAY. Let the rest of us know for sure.

Post imported post

Ocer's, there is a 70% chance of rain for Sat... bring your rain gear if your going.

I'm still not sure if i can make it due to a prior commitment, but if I can get away, I will.

Post imported post

press release sent out... hope we have a good turn out of atleast 5 folks. would call it a great success if more than that show up. Please post up here and let us know if you are going !

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Let's roll folks - if you live, work or go to school in Louisiana let's try to attend this event - bring kids, dogs, boy friends, etc!

Post imported post

georg jetson wrote:
    Ocer's, there is a 70% chance of rain for Sat... bring your rain gear if your going.

I'm still not sure if i can make it due to a prior commitment, but if I can get away, I will.

If there is rain, please make sure your rain gear doesn't conceal your firearm. I would hate to read that this event turned into negative publicity for OC'ers.

Contrary to what Mark would have you believe, there are a lot of cops out there like me that support what most here are doing. However, like Mark, I don't really see what picking up trash is going to accomplish. I do think if an OC'er was to organize a Christmas Toy Drive or something similar it would get a lot more attention and respect for OC'ers.

Banned

Post imported post

Yea, a lot of cops support what OC'ers are doing.
    I guess that explains why a lot of cops FAIL to reign in their criminal, rogue counterparts, correct?
    Attention? That's not necessarily what's needed. Respect? Yes, but there's a huge leap between "respect" and "respecting someone's rights."
    All the goodwill efforts in the world aren't going to sway the Great, Ignorant Masses into allowing you to exercise your right to bear arms.
    There will ALWAYS be that great, emotional resistance to a truly armed society.
    History, the Great Teacher, clearly indicates it.
    Maybe the public will think that the prisoners/trustees are on break and their armed guards are just helping out with the trash; don't forget the orange trash bags

Post imported post

MEMismyHero wrote:
    Yea, a lot of cops support what OC'ers are doing.
    I guess that explains why a lot of cops FAIL to reign in their criminal, rogue counterparts, correct?
    Attention? That's not necessarily what's needed. Respect? Yes, but there's a huge leap between "respect" and "respecting someone's rights."
    All the goodwill efforts in the world aren't going to sway the Great, Ignorant Masses into allowing you to exercise your right to bear arms.
    There will ALWAYS be that great, emotional resistance to a truly armed society.
    History, the Great Teacher, clearly indicates it.
    Maybe the public will think that the prisoners/trustees are on break and their armed guards are just helping out with the trash; don't forget the orange trash bags
    Any OCer tired of these types of attitudes and the never ending onslaught of negative comments is welcome to be a part of the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL). Our website is http://www.laopencarry.org - come see what we're all about. We've got 45 registered users, 11 members, and are planning our 1st monthly meeting in December to discuss OC initiatives. Visit our site or contact me at laopencarry@gmail.com for more information.

Banned

Post imported post

Please take your florida used car salesmen with you too; good bye

Post imported post

Wish I could join you guys, but it's gonna be a busy day for me at home.

Is there an issue with people doing voluntary community-service type projects? Habitat for Humanity, food drives, trash cleanup, etc.? I'd like to see your argument why it's so bad.

How about you quit trolling and make some useful posts? We already have one loudmouth troll here, we don't need you parroting everything he says.

Banned

Post imported post

Must be a slow day on the Mississippi board, huh?

Post imported post

Thanks for making my point for me about this site and the people that frequent it. Hey OCers, this is who you want to keep company with? Join us at http://www.laopencarry.org and let's get down to business taking on some real OC initiatives.

Post imported post

MEMismyHero wrote:
    Must be a slow day on the Mississippi board, huh?
    You must be pretty damn bored to be trolling this one so hard with your butt buddy, eh?

I'm in Louisiana almost every weekend, so I like to stay active on this board. And OC in MS is so snagged in legal crap that it's a joke, hence the MS board is rather slow.

Post imported post

Yeah, it's raining. Come out anyway and get to meet some of your fellow OCer's. We can do a breakfast and talk about all things OC.
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

MEMismyHero wrote:
    LOL I wonder how many hours he sat with a thesaurus to figure out how to match the letters.

Another one who can't do anything positive for the open carry movement.

Crawl back in your hole troll. You weren't missed.

End of conversation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast