• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ers trash pickup in slidell

IA-Pro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MEMismyHero wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Yea, a lot of cops support what OC'ers are doing.
I guess that explains why a lot of cops FAIL to reign in their criminal, rogue counterparts, correct?
Attention? That's not necessarily what's needed. Respect? Yes, but there's a huge leap between "respect" and "respecting someone's rights."
All the goodwill efforts in the world aren't going to sway the Great, Ignorant Masses into allowing you to exercise your right to bear arms.
There will ALWAYS be that great, emotional resistance to a truly armed society.
History, the Great Teacher, clearly indicates it.
Maybe the public will think that the prisoners/trustees are on break and their armed guards are just helping out with the trash; don't forget the orange trash bags
Any OCer tired of these types of attitudes and the never ending onslaught of negative comments is welcome to be a part of the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL). Our website is http://www.laopencarry.org - come see what we're all about. We've got 45 registered users, 11 members, and are planning our 1st monthly meeting in December to discuss OC initiatives. Visit our site or contact me at laopencarry@gmail.com for more information.

4angrybadgers

imported post

Wish I could join you guys, but it's gonna be a busy day for me at home. :cry:

Is there an issue with people doing voluntary community-service type projects? Habitat for Humanity, food drives, trash cleanup, etc.? I'd like to see your argument why it's so bad.

How about you quit trolling and make some useful posts? We already have one loudmouth troll here, we don't need you parroting everything he says.

4angrybadgers

imported post

MEMismyHero wrote:
Must be a slow day on the Mississippi board, huh?
You must be pretty damn bored to be trolling this one so hard with your butt buddy, eh?

I'm in Louisiana almost every weekend, so I like to stay active on this board. And OC in MS is so snagged in legal crap that it's a joke, hence the MS board is rather slow.

turbodog

imported post

MEMismyHero wrote: LOL I wonder how many hours he sat with a thesaurus to figure out how to match the letters.

Another one who can't do anything positive for the open carry movement.

Crawl back in your hole troll. You weren't missed.

sraacke

imported post

Turbo, How did the meetup go? How many people showed? Did you guys get out between showers for some trash time or was it just table talk weather?

I went to the Gonzales Gun Show after I got off work and dropped off a bunch of LOCAL brochures. The rain was pouring when they finially opened the doors at 9am and let us in.

turbodog

imported post

yale wrote:
Turbo, How did the meetup go? How many people showed? Did you guys get out between showers for some trash time or was it just table talk weather?

I went to the Gonzales Gun Show after I got off work and dropped off a bunch of LOCAL brochures. The rain was pouring when they finially opened the doors at 9am and let us in.
The rain put a halt to the pickup plans so we just had a bull session at the local Shoney's. In any case, it was always good to meet others who carry and hear what they have to say about their experiences. Mother nature didn't cooperate this time but there will be other chances. Seven of us met in the rain and I have no doubt that the weather put off others who might have come out. I don't really blame them. The new folks that Jerry and I met are now interested in attending the LOCAL meeting so that's another plus. There actually were a couple of guys out in the rain doing pick up when I got there. Thought they may have gotten started early but it wasn't any of ours. I figured maybe they were trustees or something, which might explain why they were out in the rain anyway. No rain gear either. :?

It's a pity about those who miss the point of OCer's doing litter pick ups. I've seen other groups doing pick ups, everybody has. I don't know what their reasons for doing so are, but for us I believe the intent is to show that OCer's are not just a bunch of "Dirty Harry" vigilantes. A litter pick up (like the Christmas toy drive idea someone offered) is a means of showing some responsibility. I was willing to pick up other peoples trash in a town I don't live in, for no other reason than to meet others who all have a goal to show the public, that we, Open Carryers, are citizens like themselves. Civic minded, responsible citizens just trying to demonstrate that we are normal, regular people just like they are. It is the unfortunate fact that carrying a sidearm is not considered "mainstream" behavior by the rest of society, that makes such demonstrations necessary. It is a means of showing that, despite our willingness to make our convictions plain, we are in all other respects, no different than any other "Joe Plumber" out there. Our behavior while OCing must always show this.

Well, some people in the OC community just ain't gonna get it. They either prefer to play the oddball to prove to themselves they ain't a sheeple (which proves nothing except that they are, indeed, an oddball) or they just hate the idea that patient persistence might win in the end and that their antagonistic attitude and jargon was in fact more harm than help.

Don't take that to mean I advocate taking any discrimination or rights violations laying down! Those need to be fought yes, but I feel it's our duty, our responsibility toward the OC cause and community as a whole, to make a point of always showing the public that OCer's are, first and foremost, normal, responsible minded citizens like themselves and gun carriers second.

Most of us do this everyday as individuals, but as a single entity you can be considered an oddball. When the same behavior is seen in groups, it's harder to ignore the point. Litter pick ups are just a means of doing this as a group.

I saw your post about Spanky letting you place OC pamphlets at the Bayou Shooter table at the gunshow. Good job with that. Very cool he let you do that considering the attitude of some folks at that site. Hats off Spanky! Thanks!

imported post

".............responsible minded citizens like themselves.............."

That, right there, shouts volumes.
The LAST thing I want to be just like are the Great Unwashed Masses who haven't a clue. If they were truly "responsible minded citizens" there would be no problems OC'ing, as EVERYone would already know the words of the state constitution, article 1 sec 11 and would RESPECT that right.

Alas, there will ALWAYS be a huge mass of intentionally ignorant folk, get over it.

MEMismyHero

Banned
imported post

Hey, Mark, does that mean that you didn't go pick up trash?

Isn't picking up trash on the side of the highway something they make you do for community service type punishment? Or just use trustees, huh.

turbodog

imported post

".............responsible minded citizens like themselves.............."

That, right there, shouts volumes.
The LAST thing I want to be just like are the Great Unwashed Masses who haven't a clue. If they were truly "responsible minded citizens" there would be no problems OC'ing, as EVERYone would already know the words of the state constitution, article 1 sec 11 and would RESPECT that right.

Alas, there will ALWAYS be a huge mass of intentionally ignorant folk, get over it.

He picks one line out of the whole post and thinks it proves his point when all of the rest disproves it. LOL

JeepSeller

imported post

turbodog wrote:
He picks one line out of the whole post and thinks it proves his point when all of the rest disproves it. LOL
Welcome to the mind of a forum troll. :quirky