• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun fear-mongering doesn't even make good fiction.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was stumbling around looking for small caliber center-fire stuffs when I found this interesting, and rather long, blog. It pertains largely to how fiction writers ruin their stories by being clueless about guns. Especially murder/mystery/detective novels/scripts. Lord knows, I've seen my share of eye-rollers on TV shows. And the writer is right; I just cant watch it anymore.
But the part I found interesting was this:
[line]You definitely do not want to bandy about terminology or firearm effects if you don’t know for sure that the details are correct. For instance, I recently read a manuscript where the author had terrorists carry Kalashnikovs down a crowded New York street on the way to the embassy they’re attacking. She had heard that Muslim extremists would probably use that sort of weapon.

Unfortunately, a Kalashnikov is a big mother of a weapon, an AK-47 assault rifle recognizable by its half-wood/half-steel construction and the curved magazine that holds 30 rounds. It’s also three feet long and weighs well over ten pounds fully loaded. If your terrorists walked through Time Square carrying Kalashnikovs, not only would everybody they encountered run screaming, but very little time would pass before a horde of NY City’s Finest descended and took them out. (More on Kalashnikovs in Part III.)[line]
Read it again, and recognize the context presented by the writer.
Sum it up.

So-called "Assault Weapons" don't even make good fiction! And you definitely wouldn't want to OC one in NYC!

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/?p=734

M

McX

imported post

The AK is called liberator or oppressor, depending upon which side of the barrel your on.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Equalizer, Right Hand of Freedom... Hardware that does without being a politician doing the opposite.

Basic Guy

imported post

I once read a novel in which the super-duper "secret agent man" main character used a Steyr AUG which was modified so he could remove the buttstock and use it as a pistol....

Dreamer

imported post

Back in the day, when I lived in NoVa, I was listening to the G. Gordon Liddy show. Now Liddy is a SERIOUS firearms nut, and he almost never gets anything gun-related wrong, but I actually caught him on one...

He was talking about a bad detective novel he was reading, and how in once scene, the bad guy was shooting a revolver, and the spend casings were hitting the floor. "Well" says Liddy, "That ruined it for me, since everyone knows that revolvers don't eject their spent cartridges as you fire..."

Within 12 hours, I had faxed him a copy of an old ad for the "Dardick Automatic Pistol", a magazine-fed 3-chamber open-sided revolver that held 20 rounds (!?!) that came out in 1956. It used special triangular-shaped cartridges call "trounds", and needless to say, was only produced for about 6 years. I think only about 40 were actually made. Every once in a great while, one will show up on GunBroker. The last one sold in Septemner of this year, for almost $1400.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139747184

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/10/21/versatile-gun/

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/airborne_combat_engineer/2006/12/49_years_ago_th.html

To his credit, the "G-Man" actually thanked me on the air the next day for bringing this to his attention, and sent me an autographed photo for my troubles...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Basic Guy wrote:
I once read a novel in which the super-duper "secret agent man" main character used a Steyr AUG which was modified so he could remove the buttstock and use it as a pistol....
Is that like removing the barrel so it is quieter?