Thread: Attending an Anti-Amnesty rally this weekend and...

Post imported post

I posted this on MGO and have gotten quite a few responses both for and against.

Here is a link to that post if you would like to see how the discussion has gone so far.

I am now posing this question here as well.

I plan on attending the "Tea Party" Anti-Amnesty rally that is being held around the country on Saturday the 14th, locally it will be in Waterford from noon-3pm.

There are going to be "Counter Protesters" there for sure and I am planning on OC'ing at this event as I don't have my CPL yet.

Is this a good idea and what do I need to know, legally, in order to do so.

I already plan on printing out some OC "cards" fromhere and from everything I have studied on the subject I should be good to go, but I just want to getyour thoughts on this as I don't want to end up in jail. I will have a voice recorder on me and the phone number to a good lawyer well versed on the subject, if I do decide to OC.

I have no intention of starting trouble and will avoid any that starts within reason. I am not planning on OC'ing to "prove a point".

Post imported post

could you please put michigan in your profile so we get credit for it

Post imported post

cabman1 wrote:
    could you please put michigan in your profile so we get credit for it
    Sorry bout that...

Done.

Post imported post

thanks and i am all 4 you carring at that event

Post imported post

You can DO IT!!!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Teufel_Hunden wrote:
    I posted this on MGO and have gotten quite a few responses both for and against.

Here is a link to that post if you would like to see how the discussion has gone so far.

I am now posing this question here as well.

I plan on attending the "Tea Party" Anti-Amnesty rally that is being held around the country on Saturday the 14th, locally it will be in Waterford from noon-3pm.

There are going to be "Counter Protesters" there for sure and I am planning on OC'ing at this event as I don't have my CPL yet.

Is this a good idea and what do I need to know, legally, in order to do so.

I already plan on printing out some OC "cards" fromĀ*here and from everything I have studied on the subject I should be good to go, but I just want to getĀ*your thoughts on this as I don't want to end up in jail. I will have a voice recorder on me and the phone number to a good lawyer well versed on the subject, if I do decide to OC.

I have no intention of starting trouble and will avoid any that starts within reason. I am not planning on OC'ing to "prove a point".
    Is it a good idea? Well, you need to make sure you're carrying for the right reasons. Judging from the other thread, I believe you are.

As you should always do whenever you're armed: Avoid conflict. If things escalate, make your way away from the heated argument. Always be polite. There will be people there looking for a reason to report you, and cops more than willing to flex their manparts. Always be Situationally Aware. Some cops have the gonads to sneak up behind you and try and disarm you (don't laugh, it's happened). Make sure you're versed in weapons retention techniques and carry in a retention holster. Crowds amplify this need.

And, as usual, be prepared to answer questions about the legality of OC. You're the face of the movement when you carry. Be ready with the law in your brain, and literature available.

Good luck out there. Be sure to read the "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT" thread on this forum, it's gospel.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Is it a good idea? Well, you need to make sure you're carrying for the right reasons. Judging from the other thread, I believe you are.

As you should always do whenever you're armed: Avoid conflict. If things escalate, make your way away from the heated argument. Always be polite. There will be people there looking for a reason to report you, and cops more than willing to flex their manparts. Always be Situationally Aware. Some cops have the gonads to sneak up behind you and try and disarm you (don't laugh, it's happened). Make sure you're versed in weapons retention techniques and carry in a retention holster. Crowds amplify this need.

And, as usual, be prepared to answer questions about the legality of OC. You're the face of the movement when you carry. Be ready with the law in your brain, and literature available.

Good luck out there. Be sure to read the "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT" thread on this forum, it's gospel.
    Thank you and I agree with all you have posted here.

FYI: I sent you a PM on MGO.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Post imported post

Go for it! I think based on your posts on MGO that you are well aware of your responsibility and should do just fine!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Got back home a bit ago from this rally and figured I would post a report.

Everything went smooth. I met up with a couple of MGO members and there was a pretty decent turn out overall. Never saw an LEO and no counter-protesters showed up so it was a nice couple of hours shooting the sh*t with some good people.

No one freaked out or got upset that 3 of us were OC'ing. Many came up and started conversations and asked about OC. Doug from MGO passed out flyers to those that asked about it.

All in all it was a very positive experience and I am glad I went while OC'ing.

Post imported post

And again the Fudds idea of what will happen when we OC fails!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

BTW: I'm also a Founding member of Michigan Open Carry you know!?

Nice meeting you and your wife.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    BTW: I'm also a Founding member of Michigan Open Carry you know!?

Nice meeting you and your wife.
    I didn't know that!

It was nice meeting you as well.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I got a card, coin, and coffee mug to prove it

Notice that I have 1500 posts here?

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    I got a card, coin, and coffee mug to prove it
    LMBO