• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attending an Anti-Amnesty rally this weekend and...

Teufel_Hunden

imported post

I posted this on MGO and have gotten quite a few responses both for and against.

Here is a link to that post if you would like to see how the discussion has gone so far.

I am now posing this question here as well.

I plan on attending the "Tea Party" Anti-Amnesty rally that is being held around the country on Saturday the 14th, locally it will be in Waterford from noon-3pm.

There are going to be "Counter Protesters" there for sure and I am planning on OC'ing at this event as I don't have my CPL yet.

Is this a good idea and what do I need to know, legally, in order to do so.

I already plan on printing out some OC "cards" fromhere and from everything I have studied on the subject I should be good to go, but I just want to getyour thoughts on this as I don't want to end up in jail. I will have a voice recorder on me and the phone number to a good lawyer well versed on the subject, if I do decide to OC.

I have no intention of starting trouble and will avoid any that starts within reason. I am not planning on OC'ing to "prove a point".

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Teufel_Hunden wrote:
I posted this on MGO and have gotten quite a few responses both for and against.

Here is a link to that post if you would like to see how the discussion has gone so far.

I am now posing this question here as well.

I plan on attending the "Tea Party" Anti-Amnesty rally that is being held around the country on Saturday the 14th, locally it will be in Waterford from noon-3pm.

There are going to be "Counter Protesters" there for sure and I am planning on OC'ing at this event as I don't have my CPL yet.

Is this a good idea and what do I need to know, legally, in order to do so.

I already plan on printing out some OC "cards" from here and from everything I have studied on the subject I should be good to go, but I just want to get your thoughts on this as I don't want to end up in jail. I will have a voice recorder on me and the phone number to a good lawyer well versed on the subject, if I do decide to OC.

I have no intention of starting trouble and will avoid any that starts within reason. I am not planning on OC'ing to "prove a point".

Is it a good idea? Well, you need to make sure you're carrying for the right reasons. Judging from the other thread, I believe you are.

As you should always do whenever you're armed: Avoid conflict. If things escalate, make your way away from the heated argument. Always be polite. There will be people there looking for a reason to report you, and cops more than willing to flex their manparts. Always be Situationally Aware. Some cops have the gonads to sneak up behind you and try and disarm you (don't laugh, it's happened). Make sure you're versed in weapons retention techniques and carry in a retention holster. Crowds amplify this need.

And, as usual, be prepared to answer questions about the legality of OC. You're the face of the movement when you carry. Be ready with the law in your brain, and literature available.

Good luck out there. Be sure to read the "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT" thread on this forum, it's gospel.

Teufel_Hunden

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Is it a good idea? Well, you need to make sure you're carrying for the right reasons. Judging from the other thread, I believe you are.

As you should always do whenever you're armed: Avoid conflict. If things escalate, make your way away from the heated argument. Always be polite. There will be people there looking for a reason to report you, and cops more than willing to flex their manparts. Always be Situationally Aware. Some cops have the gonads to sneak up behind you and try and disarm you (don't laugh, it's happened). Make sure you're versed in weapons retention techniques and carry in a retention holster. Crowds amplify this need.

And, as usual, be prepared to answer questions about the legality of OC. You're the face of the movement when you carry. Be ready with the law in your brain, and literature available.

Good luck out there. Be sure to read the "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT" thread on this forum, it's gospel.

Thank you and I agree with all you have posted here.

FYI: I sent you a PM on MGO.

Teufel_Hunden

imported post

Got back home a bit ago from this rally and figured I would post a report.

Everything went smooth. I met up with a couple of MGO members and there was a pretty decent turn out overall. Never saw an LEO and no counter-protesters showed up so it was a nice couple of hours shooting the sh*t with some good people.

No one freaked out or got upset that 3 of us were OC'ing. Many came up and started conversations and asked about OC. Doug from MGO passed out flyers to those that asked about it.

All in all it was a very positive experience and I am glad I went while OC'ing.