Well, mostly correct, but not quite.
The info that you get from FS employees tends to be a bit mixed up and confused. This isn't really their fault, as basically, all California state laws apply, and as we all know it can be quite difficult to navigate state laws.
Here is the FS policy on firearms: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/prog.../welcome.shtml
And here is a very detailed writeup I created about this subject: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=186457
This includes text and links to ALL applicable federal and state laws.
Some of the basic info:
- Unloaded Open Carry is legal almost everywhere in these lands
- Loaded Open Carry is legal in areas where shooting is not prohibited, and in one's campsite
- Shooting is prohibited within 150 yards of any residence, building, campsite, or developed site, or on/across a road or body of water
- Forest administrators have the authority to prohibit shooting in other areas of the NF but must post this information
- Loaded Concealed Carry is legal for licensed hunters/fishermen, while hunting/fishing, and only where shooting is not prohibited
- Unloaded Concealed Carry is legal for licensed hunters/fishermen, while traveling to/from hunting/fishing trips
Long guns do not need to be locked up. Whoever gave you that info is just confused.
You can't load in your vehicle because shooting restrictions on roads trigger 12031.
Read the linked thread for all of the details.