• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

national FOREST clarification

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

MudCamper wrote:
If the distinction turns out to be some arcane definition of street vs road vs highway, then it will be an even more difficult battle.
This distinction is not a factual distinction, e.g., what kind of road you are on, but rather, the court and the AG opinion saying the legislature's word choice in multiple statutes, combined with legislative history,indicates an intent to limit the reach of 12031 to mainly just incorporated areas. That's why all these appeals court cases make it hard for the government to prosecute people for loaded open carry in unincorporated areas.

If there areDAs actually prosecuting people for loaded open carry on rural roads that are not also both (1) in no shooting areas per county ordinance and (2) in public places as contemplated by 12031, then please post here ASAP so we can look into it and analyze it further.

Again, I would never carry loaded openly in california because even though I once lived and traveled extensively in California, I am not sure where incorporated and unincorporated areas are or are not, let alone where Counties may have banned shooting by ordinance - but this issue is important to everyone because in these areas where loaded open carry is allowed, arguably much or most of california by land area, the police do not have the power to E-check people (12031(e), right?) - that is to seize the person to inspect the gun to see if it is loaded.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
but this issue is important to everyone because in these areas where loaded open carry is allowed, arguably much or most of california by land area, the police do not have the power to E-check people (12031(e), right?) - that is to seize the person to inspect the gun to see if it is loaded.
Correct. I hadn't thought about this important 4A aspect of it...