• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Black List

Fatch

imported post

So, I've just started OC'ing, and I guess I'm a bit nervous about what businesses are firearm friendly, and what ones will ask you to leave, and what ones will call the police?
Also, I figure that if I have a choice to patronize a business that's friendly, and one that's not, I'd rather go to the friendly one. And from what I've read, there are quite a few other people on here that agree with me.

So, how about we have a list, here, of negative experiences. Maybe give a location, and a short story about what happened to you? I know I've seen quite a few individual stories, but I figured it'd be easier for everyone to have it a bit more organized. If there's good response, I(or someone else) should start a thread of places where you've had good experiences, too.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

The only way to really know is by carrying in all theplaces that are not prohibited by current WIlaw.

if you are asked to leave, do so immediatly whileleaving you intended purchases where they are, do not argue, do not try to compromise, just leave!
if you follow that bit of advice, you will not break any laws or be cited for tresspass.

Will the police be called?? Who knows? but since you are not breaking any laws, who cares?

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The only way to really know is by carrying in all theplaces that are not prohibited by current WIlaw.

if you are asked to leave, do so immediatly whileleaving you intended purchases where they are, do not argue, do not try to compromise, just leave!
if you follow that bit of advice, you will not break any laws or be cited for tresspass.

Will the police be called?? Who knows? but since you are not breaking any laws, who cares?

+1

protias listed Marcus Theater... although I don't go there often, it's the only place in town, so I do go there, and I open carry while I'm there....

When you first start OC'g you worry about it (I understand I was there once), now as long as the state law doesn't say I can't carry, I do so without hesitation.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
Mayfair Mall also has a "No Firearms or 'Illegal' Weapons" rule posted on the mall rules board at the openings.
Confirmed. I haven't tested it but I can't honestly claim not to have knowledge of their policy having seen the sign they have posted.

lilevo

imported post

I thought Marcus corporate sent an email back on that one issue and said it was fine?

Home Depot in Racine is a no go for me. Was asked to leave today with a cart of merchandise. Not allowed to make purchase either.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Send Home Depot a nice professional letter letting them know that if they are not in support of your rights then you can no longer patronize their store.

Tell them you will shop at Menards because Menards does support your rights and has no issue with you open carrying in the store.

As if Home Depot has a corporate policy against fire arms and if they could send you a copy of that policy.

Might even be a little fun to picket outside the store on the public side walk, if the letter doesn't work.

Archangel

imported post

lilevo wrote:
Home Depot in Racine is a no go for me. Was asked to leave today with a cart of merchandise. Not allowed to make purchase either.

Sounds like you (or the store manager) need a copy of this:

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/law_regs/postedletters/homedepo.pdf

Their official policy is to follow state law. We had an incident like this in Georgia and that straightened them out.

Pretty clear cut to me.