Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handcuffed, detained for 45mins, Mirandized...the works

Post imported post

Well....I have had an interesting night. I was at the Bremerton ferry terminal waiting for the guy who was buying my car to get off the ferry. I was carrying my Colt 1911 in a Kramer red leather belt scabbard.I noticed a BPD officer shaddowing me on the other side of the glass doors next to the foot ramp. He snuck a fewglances at me for about five minutes until 5 of his buddies showed up.

Sgt. C- Is that a real gun?

Me- Yes

Sgt. C-Show me your license.

Me-What license?

Sgt. C-Your permit.

Me-My gun permit?

He then grabbed my arm, spun me around and put me into the wall with my arm pushed up my back. I asked him if I was being arrested and he said I was being detained. I asked what crime I was suspected of and he said "you are warranting alarm" That kinda stumped me because I couldn't site who it was that said that a gun in a holster does not warrant alarm. He took my Colt and handed it off to his buddy. They took me to the car, Mirandized me and started running my gun, my permit, my license and my mil id. They lectured me on "concealed means concealed" and that in this day in age you can't just walk around with your gun like that. Then Sgt. C said I was handcuffed because the terminal is private property (BS) and that I was not complying because he wanted to make sure I was 21. After 45 mins they release me while lecturing me some more and telling me not to come back or they would trespass me and that being in the military I should know better and he didn't understand my attitude. They are forwarding the report to the prosecutors office in the morning. I am trying to get the security tape from the WA state ferry for further reference.

Post imported post

OOh myyyy did they seriously screw up! Hope the lawsuit gets you a ton of money for unlawful detainment!

Post imported post

Please keep us informed when you find out something from the prosecutor. This is BS!

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

This one definitely has that money smell all over it!
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Did they keep the gun, or give it back to you?

Post imported post

They gave it backbut told me not to load it.

Post imported post

Then they know they are wrong!

sempercarry wrote:
    They gave it backbut told me not to load it.
    Live Free or Die!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Go get 'em, Semper. Theyknow better.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned

Post imported post

were you pacing back and forth? couldn't wait in your car till the ferry docked?

Post imported post

Well, at least you got it back, unlike w07rolla. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/19970.html

Post imported post

The designated pickup/dropoff parking spots were 200yds away and could not be seen from the foot bridge. I decided in order to keep them from getting lost, I would wait at the end of the ramp for them. No I was not pacing back and forth, I was leaning up against a wall while texting to the people buying my car.

Post imported post

Let's hope the prosecutor has more sense than these officers did. They were wrong in so many ways.

sempercarry wrote:
    ... Then Sgt. C said I was handcuffed because the terminal is private property (BS) and that I was not complying because he wanted to make sure I was 21. After 45 mins they release me while lecturing me some more and telling me not to come back or they would trespass me ...

RCW 47.60.017
    State ferry system a public mass transportation system.

[/b]The legislature finds and declares that the state ferry system is a public mass transportation system.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Post imported post

Whats your point BooBoo? you've exposed yourself as anti OC and pretty much anti 2nd amendment. The whole point is to OPEN CARRY without persecution. Thats why people do these things.

I dont know if you're a guy pretending to be a girl, which is really gross, or some feminist nutcase that wants to castrate the men that OC. Everytime there is a post about someone defying the police, you try and make a penis issue out of it.

Grow up, get some therapy. I hope you aren't actually carrying...

Banned

Post imported post

wow, scoooty in your case i will say you shouldn't own a gun. and the only thing anti about me is the nazis like yourself. so go back to playing hitler and let the americans do what they want. ******* ahole.

Post imported post

Ok you two....if you want to argue, do it in PMs please.

Post imported post

Thanks for proving my point!

Dont worry members i'll just ignore It from now on...

:celebrate

Post imported post

Unbelievable! (though I believe you, SemperCarry)

Sorry you had to go through that for exercising their rights, but you knew that.

Hang in there, and start a log of your thoughts and feelings that may be used to show your emotional distress as a result of this incident. Document everything -- the dreams, the anxiety, whatever. Just get it down on paper as it happens.

Charles

Post imported post

The tactics they used are terrorist in nature designed to instill fear in you. This is one of the reasons so few people open carry. They've heard stories similar to yours, and they are scared to death which is just exactly what some LEOs are hoping for.

Have you read the stories on OCDO offolks whoare about toOC for the first time? They are fearful, terrorized, because of what might happen if they are confronted by LE.

Is it any wonder why many people have such low regard for LE in general? When are the over zealous cops going to wise up and gain the respect of LAC? When are the good guys who make up the majority of LE going to cross the thin blue line and set the others straight?

Before I get jumped on, please note that Iam speaking of only those members of LE that harass LAC for exercising theirrights.

Post imported post

You're stating this was Bremerton PD?Not WSP? Five of his buddies?Did you get the names of the sergeant and the officers that detained you?

All incident reports (even when no arrest is made) go to the Kitsap Co. Prosecutor's Office; staff reviews the reports anddetermines whether or not charges will be filed. Even though you were released, you may still receive a citation in the mail within the next few weeks.

OOh myyyy did they seriously screw up! Hope the lawsuit gets you a ton of money for unlawful detainment!
    I find these sort of comments curious ... Is the popular opinion hereabouts that this type of situation canlead to litigation by open-carriersthat will actually reap monetary awards, subsequent to "unjust detainment" by LE? Just wondering, because I've not heard of this happening in this state before.

Post imported post

Bosaid:
    I find these sort of comments curious ... Is the popular opinion hereabouts that this type of situation canlead to litigation by open-carriersthat will actually reap monetary awards, subsequent to "unjust detainment" by LE? Just wondering, because I've not heard of this happening in this state before.

It's not that we're money hungry savages, or even suit happy. It's that EVERY LE agency in WA knows that it is perfectly legal to OC. THerefore, should have never violated his rights in such a way. Any lawyer, worth his weight in salt, would beg for a case as cut-n-dried as this one. Heck, I wish I was an attorney sometimes when I hear of cases like this one.

I am the person responsible for myself, my wife and my son. I take that VERY seriously.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Is this Bremerton PD or Washington State Patrol? Need to know because I have contacts with both organizations and the state Ferry System and we can fix this pretty quick.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Pretty f-d up. Give 'em hell!

Post imported post

I can say that everything that he is saying is true. I know from personal knowledge. SemperCarry, I sent you a PM.

Post imported post

Post Retracted for privacy reasons.

Post imported post

I have yet to see anyone win money or a lawsuit in these cases.

My detainment in redmond was simular last spring. i called to file a compliant, the commanding officer just kissed my ass and said he was "sorry" that happened and that it wouldn't happen to me in redmond again and the attorney that I seeked, (which was recommended by people on this site) just said that it wasn't worth seeking any legal damages since is was just cuffeddetained and harrassed for 30 mins. My gun was return after the detainment

Prove me wrong semper, prove me wrong. I'll give you 30 bucks if you actaully end upget any money from BPD.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast