• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handcuffed, detained for 45mins, Mirandized...the works

sempercarry

imported post

Well....I have had an interesting night. I was at the Bremerton ferry terminal waiting for the guy who was buying my car to get off the ferry. I was carrying my Colt 1911 in a Kramer red leather belt scabbard.I noticed a BPD officer shaddowing me on the other side of the glass doors next to the foot ramp. He snuck a fewglances at me for about five minutes until 5 of his buddies showed up.

Sgt. C- Is that a real gun?

Me- Yes

Sgt. C-Show me your license.

Me-What license?

Sgt. C-Your permit.

Me-My gun permit?

He then grabbed my arm, spun me around and put me into the wall with my arm pushed up my back. I asked him if I was being arrested and he said I was being detained. I asked what crime I was suspected of and he said "you are warranting alarm" That kinda stumped me because I couldn't site who it was that said that a gun in a holster does not warrant alarm. He took my Colt and handed it off to his buddy. They took me to the car, Mirandized me and started running my gun, my permit, my license and my mil id. They lectured me on "concealed means concealed" and that in this day in age you can't just walk around with your gun like that. Then Sgt. C said I was handcuffed because the terminal is private property (BS) and that I was not complying because he wanted to make sure I was 21. After 45 mins they release me while lecturing me some more and telling me not to come back or they would trespass me and that being in the military I should know better and he didn't understand my attitude. They are forwarding the report to the prosecutors office in the morning. I am trying to get the security tape from the WA state ferry for further reference.

SigPacker

imported post

OOh myyyy did they seriously screw up! Hope the lawsuit gets you a ton of money for unlawful detainment!

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

were you pacing back and forth? couldn't wait in your car till the ferry docked?

sempercarry

imported post

The designated pickup/dropoff parking spots were 200yds away and could not be seen from the foot bridge. I decided in order to keep them from getting lost, I would wait at the end of the ramp for them. No I was not pacing back and forth, I was leaning up against a wall while texting to the people buying my car.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let's hope the prosecutor has more sense than these officers did. They were wrong in so many ways.:banghead:

sempercarry wrote:
... Then Sgt. C said I was handcuffed because the terminal is private property (BS) and that I was not complying because he wanted to make sure I was 21. After 45 mins they release me while lecturing me some more and telling me not to come back or they would trespass me ...
RCW 47.60.017
State ferry system a public mass transportation system.

[/b]The legislature finds and declares that the state ferry system is a public mass transportation system.

ScottyDog

imported post

Whats your point BooBoo? you've exposed yourself as anti OC and pretty much anti 2nd amendment. The whole point is to OPEN CARRY without persecution. Thats why people do these things.

I dont know if you're a guy pretending to be a girl, which is really gross, or some feminist nutcase that wants to castrate the men that OC. Everytime there is a post about someone defying the police, you try and make a penis issue out of it.

Grow up, get some therapy. I hope you aren't actually carrying...

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

wow, scoooty in your case i will say you shouldn't own a gun. and the only thing anti about me is the nazis like yourself. so go back to playing hitler and let the americans do what they want. ******* ahole.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Unbelievable! (though I believe you, SemperCarry)

Sorry you had to go through that for exercising their rights, but you knew that.

Hang in there, and start a log of your thoughts and feelings that may be used to show your emotional distress as a result of this incident. Document everything -- the dreams, the anxiety, whatever. Just get it down on paper as it happens.

Charles

Ajetpilot

imported post

The tactics they used are terrorist in nature designed to instill fear in you. This is one of the reasons so few people open carry. They've heard stories similar to yours, and they are scared to death which is just exactly what some LEOs are hoping for.

Have you read the stories on OCDO offolks whoare about toOC for the first time? They are fearful, terrorized, because of what might happen if they are confronted by LE.

Is it any wonder why many people have such low regard for LE in general? When are the over zealous cops going to wise up and gain the respect of LAC? When are the good guys who make up the majority of LE going to cross the thin blue line and set the others straight?

Before I get jumped on, please note that Iam speaking of only those members of LE that harass LAC for exercising theirrights.

Bo

imported post

You're stating this was Bremerton PD?Not WSP? Five of his buddies?Did you get the names of the sergeant and the officers that detained you?

All incident reports (even when no arrest is made) go to the Kitsap Co. Prosecutor's Office; staff reviews the reports anddetermines whether or not charges will be filed. Even though you were released, you may still receive a citation in the mail within the next few weeks.

OOh myyyy did they seriously screw up! Hope the lawsuit gets you a ton of money for unlawful detainment!

I find these sort of comments curious ... Is the popular opinion hereabouts that this type of situation canlead to litigation by open-carriersthat will actually reap monetary awards, subsequent to "unjust detainment" by LE? Just wondering, because I've not heard of this happening in this state before.

tyguy808

imported post

Bosaid:
I find these sort of comments curious ... Is the popular opinion hereabouts that this type of situation canlead to litigation by open-carriersthat will actually reap monetary awards, subsequent to "unjust detainment" by LE? Just wondering, because I've not heard of this happening in this state before.

It's not that we're money hungry savages, or even suit happy. It's that EVERY LE agency in WA knows that it is perfectly legal to OC. THerefore, should have never violated his rights in such a way. Any lawyer, worth his weight in salt, would beg for a case as cut-n-dried as this one. Heck, I wish I was an attorney sometimes when I hear of cases like this one.