• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handcuffed, detained for 45mins, Mirandized...the works

PavePusher

imported post

A_patriot@ymail.com wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:
The tactics they used are terrorist in nature designed to instill fear in you. This is one of the reasons so few people open carry. They've heard stories similar to yours, and they are scared to death which is just exactly what some LEOs are hoping for.

No, theyre not using terrorist tactics, they are using MILITARY tactics. The Nations PDs are MILITARIZING. "Jack booted thugs" was a previous term from 1994, and if you guys out here on the Leftist coast havent heard about THAT one, youre in for a TREAT.

The Cities and States are Militarizing, outfitting their PDs as Mil troops, using Mil style Comms systems, M/AR 16/15's, just go on down the list. The City of Columbus Ohio years ago built a very expensive hardened bunker under the Court House ( I was down there and saw the construction). What the hell does a PD need that for?

Its an attempt to bypass Posse Comitatus (spelling).
Could I please ask you to refrain from (I presume) accidently implying that our military are "Jack booted thugs". I have been AD USAF for 19+ years, have worked with a fairly wide cross-section of Navy, Army and Marines, and haven't found a JBT among them yet. Most would, in fact, be willing to take fantastic risks to defend your right to make that mistake. Thank you for your time and consideration.

joeroket

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
A_patriot@ymail.com wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:

The tactics they used are terrorist in nature designed to instill fear in you.  This is one of the reasons so few people open carry.  They've heard stories similar to yours, and they are scared to death which is just exactly what some LEOs are hoping for. 

No, theyre not using terrorist tactics, they are using MILITARY tactics. The Nations PDs are MILITARIZING. "Jack booted thugs" was a previous term from 1994, and if you guys out here on the Leftist coast havent heard about THAT one, youre in for a TREAT.

The Cities and States are Militarizing, outfitting their PDs as Mil troops, using Mil style Comms systems, M/AR 16/15's, just go on down the list. The City of Columbus Ohio years ago built a very expensive hardened bunker under the Court House ( I was down there and saw the construction). What the hell does a PD need that for?

Its an attempt to bypass Posse Comitatus (spelling).
Could I please ask you to refrain from (I presume) accidently implying that our military are "Jack booted thugs".  I have been AD USAF for 19+ years, have worked with a fairly wide cross-section of Navy, Army and Marines, and haven't found a JBT among them yet.  Most would, in fact, be willing to take fantastic risks to defend your right to make that mistake.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

I think he was implying that PD's are jack booted thugs that are becoming militarized. Not that the military is comprised of JBT's.

Kildars

imported post

It's just amazing the rigourous background checks, how strict you have to be regarding your past, you can't get one thing wrong when applying for an agency. However when they get the badge, they just go about lying.

joeroket

imported post

Kildars wrote:
It's just amazing the rigourous background checks, how strict you have to be regarding your past, you can't get one thing wrong when applying for an agency. However when they get the badge, they just go about lying.

Remember that an officer lying is not cause for termination anymore so we are going to see more and more of it in the future I fear.

swatspyder

imported post

Kildars wrote:
That amazes me, it's a serious condition of employment to be honest but not a reason for termination? Why do a polygraph then?
polygraphs only prove that the person being interviewed is being truthful about their past... If you fail questions, you have a chance to explain yourself.

Machoduck

imported post

Going back to the characterization of Sempercarry's detainment, it was neither terrorist nor militaristic. It was a simple attempt at intimidation, nothing more. Not that that makes it any less objectionable, of course.

The word "terrorist" gets thrown around a lot lately but usually refers to surprise attacks on women and children or indiscriminate attacks such as bombings. It wasn't "militarization" because that term refers to the military build-up itself of civilian police forces not police behavior. It was "intimidation" or the attempt at such.

The cop in question, Sgt. C, decided, for whatever reason, that Sempercarry should be the target of an intimidation. Sgt. C simply had to know that open carry is legal in WA. There is no rational person who would look at Sempercarry and think "criminal". He doesn't look the part and he doesn't act the part. He wasn't making "furtive movements", that old cop catch-all phrase that they use to justify whatever they might have done. I know this because I know Sempercarry.

The only thing our guy did, that could possibly cause a rational person to take notice, was to pace back and forth as if waiting for someone. Oh wait, he was waiting for someone. What's a poor policeman to do? A sensible cop (none need apply to Bremerton PD) would simply have asked Sempercarry if he were waiting for someone to arrive on the ferry. I know, it's a leap to assume that somone hanging around a ferry terminal might be waiting for someone to arrive on a ferry. So what drove this encounter?

It sounds to me as if Sgt. C (C for cretin?) is an only-one. For those not familiar with the term, an only-one is a cop who beleves that cops are the only ones who should be allowed to carry guns. This despite the response times to 911 calls and despite Supreme Court rulings that the police have no obligation to protect anyone. There was no overt threat to anyone before Sgt C took action. He just took the wrong action. He should have been conducting an investigation, not an intimidation.

MD

Kildars

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
Kildars wrote:
That amazes me, it's a serious condition of employment to be honest but not a reason for termination? Why do a polygraph then?
polygraphs only prove that the person being interviewed is being truthful about their past... If you fail questions, you have a chance to explain yourself.
Actually if you fail your polygraph you don't get hired. There really is no chance to explain yourself. I've had friends test for KCSO and Renton PD and been DQ'd because they failed a polygraph.

The polygraph is a pretty big sham.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Kildars wrote:
swatspyder wrote:
Kildars wrote:
polygraphs only prove that the person being interviewed is being truthful about their past...  If you fail questions, you have a chance to explain yourself.
Actually if you fail your polygraph you don't get hired. There really is no chance to explain yourself. I've had friends test for KCSO and Renton PD and been DQ'd because they failed a polygraph.

I failed the poly for application for KCCO. Kinda glad I did though, I don't think I would like that job. I needed one at the time, though...

Kildars

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
Kildars wrote:
swatspyder wrote:
Kildars wrote:

I failed the poly for application for KCCO. Kinda glad I did though, I don't think I would like that job. I needed one at the time, though...
Did they give you a chance to explain yourself?

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Going back to the characterization of Sempercarry's detainment, it was neither terrorist nor militaristic. It was a simple attempt at intimidation, nothing more. Not that that makes it any less objectionable, of course.

The word "terrorist" gets thrown around a lot lately but usually refers to surprise attacks on women and children or indiscriminate attacks such as bombings. It wasn't "militarization" because that term refers to the military build-up itself of civilian police forces not police behavior. It was "intimidation" or the attempt at such.

The cop in question, Sgt. C, decided, for whatever reason, that Sempercarry should be the target of an intimidation. Sgt. C simply had to know that open carry is legal in WA. There is no rational person who would look at Sempercarry and think "criminal". He doesn't look the part and he doesn't act the part. He wasn't making "furtive movements", that old cop catch-all phrase that they use to justify whatever they might have done. I know this because I know Sempercarry.

The only thing our guy did, that could possibly cause a rational person to take notice, was to pace back and forth as if waiting for someone. Oh wait, he was waiting for someone. What's a poor policeman to do? A sensible cop (none need apply to Bremerton PD) would simply have asked Sempercarry if he were waiting for someone to arrive on the ferry. I know, it's a leap to assume that somone hanging around a ferry terminal might be waiting for someone to arrive on a ferry. So what drove this encounter?

It sounds to me as if Sgt. C (C for cretin?) is an only-one. For those not familiar with the term, an only-one is a cop who beleves that cops are the only ones who should be allowed to carry guns. This despite the response times to 911 calls and despite Supreme Court rulings that the police have no obligation to protect anyone. There was no overt threat to anyone before Sgt C took action. He just took the wrong action. He should have been conducting an investigation, not an intimidation.

MD
+1

I will not be intimidated

Nemo Me Inpune lacesett

Orphan

Machoduck

imported post

Thank you Orphan.

Thanks also to Ajetpilot for this: The FBI uses this: "Terrorism is the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."

With that as a working definition, I agree that Sgt. C did engage in terrorism because he could not possibly be unaware that open carry is legal in Washington. Nor could he possibly be unaware of state preemption.

I've learned never to believe what policemen say, particularly if they're justifying their own actions. Probably, it's an extension of the permission to lie to suspects. You know, if they can lie to a suspect, they can lie to anyone. Ask Judge Andrew Napolitano.

MD