• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kent man to challenge Seattle gun ban

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/412168_gun14.html?source=mypi

A Kent man has announced that he intends to carry a pistol into a West Seattle community center on Saturday to trigger a lawsuit challenging Seattle's ban on guns in public spaces.

Bob Warden, 44, announced his intentions in an e-mail Friday morning to media as well as to the City of Seattle, including the police and city attorney.

"As a courtesy, this is advance notice that at noon tomorrow, Saturday, November 14, I plan to exercise my legal right to bear arms in Seattle's Southwest Community Center, 2801 SW Thistle Street," Warden said in his e-mail. "I will be safely and securely carrying my holstered Glock pistol. I have a current valid State of Washington License to Carry Concealed."

He also described the Tacoma Rainiers baseball cap he will be wearing so that he can be spotted.

Seattle parks officials have not yet responded to a request for comment.

"I'm not looking for any trouble," Warden said in an interview. He said he will comply with whatever instructions police or parks officials give him.

But whether he is turned away or cited for trespassing, Warden said the incident should give him standing to sue to challenge the ban.

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels said on Oct. 14 that guns would be banned on such city facilities as parks and community centers where children gather. Signs banning guns have been posted at city parks.

Late last month, gun-rights advocates sued, saying the ban violates state law.

But Warden, a licensed attorney in the state, says he worries that the earlier lawsuit may be thrown out because those who filed it lack legal standing.

Warden said he does not actively practice law. He said he works in labor relations for the federal government but would not describe his job further.

He said he is taking the action because he believes the ban is illegal. He noted that the state Attorney General's Office has said so.

"They know full well it's illegal, but they went ahead and did it anyway," Warden said.

Warden described himself as a political independent, but a man who has probably voted for only two Republicans in his life.

He said he is not a member of the National Rifle Association, but was certified by that organization as a pistol instructor. He said he uses the certification in his volunteer work with the Boy Scouts.

"I'm not some gun rights nut," he said.