• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I guess we already won the fight for unlicensed CCW in WI Hooray!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I found the following article in the "news and Political alerts" section on OCDO, I had to go look at the brady site to make sure this was copied correctly due to my disbelief of how wrong this group is

POSITION: The Brady Campaign opposes state laws or a national law pushed by the gun lobby to force law enforcement to allow virtually anyone to carry loaded hidden handguns in public.

PROBLEM: Law enforcement officials in thirty-four states are forced to issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun even if they have misgivings about the person’s ability to be responsible with it in public.

In these states, law enforcement must issue permits to carry concealed handguns to anyone who meets certain minimum legal standards. This type of law is known as a “shall-issue” law because the police are told they shall issue the permit. Law enforcement has no discretion as to who gets these permits and how many permits are issued. The intent of “shall-issue” laws is to strip local law enforcement officials of their discretion in issuing concealed handgun permits in their jurisdictions. This means that more people with problems are carrying loaded hidden handguns in public, including in densely populated cities.

THREAT: Allowing untrained, under-trained, and/or emotionally unstable or impulsive persons to carry loaded hidden handguns in public puts people at risk of being killed or injured, intentionally and unintentionally. It also makes it harder for law enforcement to identify the real perpetrators during a shooting. Allowing more people to carry concealed handguns in densely populated cities, on crowded subways, on buses and in sports stadiums, is a recipe for disaster.

URGENCY: There is no federal law on prohibiting carrying concealed handguns outside of federal property. Thirty-five states have “shall-issue” laws forcing police to issue concealed handgun permits. Eleven states have “may-issue” laws that give local law enforcement officials discretion over who gets a concealed handgun permit and how many are allowed in each jurisdiction. Two states, Wisconsin and Illinois, do not require a permit to carry concealed handguns in public while two states forbid the carrying of concealed handguns.

SOLUTION: “May issue” states and states that do not allow the carrying of concealed guns should work with law enforcement to retain current laws. Those in states with “shall issue” laws should work with their law enforcement officials to determine the best course of action in amending their laws. At the very minimum, law enforcement should have some discretion in permitting, and citizens applying for concealed handgun permits should be required to go through testing to ensure they know how to safely handle firearms and to show they know the gun laws in their state

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Two states, Wisconsin and Illinois, do not require a permit to carry concealed handguns in public

Hey that's great news! :lol: Who would have guessed we would have heard it first from the Brady Bunch?

As usual, their mastery of "the facts" leads a bit to be desired.

Pal

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I found the following article in the "news and Political alerts" section on OCDO, I had to go look at the brady site to make sure this was copied correctly due to my disbelief of how wrong this group is

POSITION: The Brady Campaign opposes state laws or a national law pushed by the gun lobby to force law enforcement to allow virtually anyone to carry loaded hidden handguns in public.

PROBLEM: Law enforcement officials in thirty-four states are forced to issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun even if they have misgivings about the person’s ability to be responsible with it in public.

In these states, law enforcement must issue permits to carry concealed handguns to anyone who meets certain minimum legal standards. This type of law is known as a “shall-issue” law because the police are told they shall issue the permit. Law enforcement has no discretion as to who gets these permits and how many permits are issued. The intent of “shall-issue” laws is to strip local law enforcement officials of their discretion in issuing concealed handgun permits in their jurisdictions. This means that more people with problems are carrying loaded hidden handguns in public, including in densely populated cities.

THREAT: Allowing untrained, under-trained, and/or emotionally unstable or impulsive persons to carry loaded hidden handguns in public puts people at risk of being killed or injured, intentionally and unintentionally. It also makes it harder for law enforcement to identify the real perpetrators during a shooting. Allowing more people to carry concealed handguns in densely populated cities, on crowded subways, on buses and in sports stadiums, is a recipe for disaster.

URGENCY: There is no federal law on prohibiting carrying concealed handguns outside of federal property. Thirty-five states have “shall-issue” laws forcing police to issue concealed handgun permits. Eleven states have “may-issue” laws that give local law enforcement officials discretion over who gets a concealed handgun permit and how many are allowed in each jurisdiction. Two states, Wisconsin and Illinois, do not require a permit to carry concealed handguns in public while two states forbid the carrying of concealed handguns.

SOLUTION: “May issue” states and states that do not allow the carrying of concealed guns should work with law enforcement to retain current laws. Those in states with “shall issue” laws should work with their law enforcement officials to determine the best course of action in amending their laws. At the very minimum, law enforcement should have some discretion in permitting, and citizens applying for concealed handgun permits should be required to go through testing to ensure they know how to safely handle firearms and to show they know the gun laws in their state

This is what I found: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=1&vote=00237

Are we (WI) in it???