• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying extra ammo

Ratt402

imported post

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to get a few thoughts on carrying extra ammo when either OCing or CCing.

I personally do not carry any extra ammo, but I also carry a Glock 23C with a total of 13 in the mag and one in the pipe. I carry for self defense, not to go looking for a fight. I believe if 14 rounds can't get me out of trouble, then maybe I shouldn't be carrying.

I am not saying I am right or wrong, just that is what I feel and am only making a decision based on information I have read or heard. If anyone feels like sharing their feelings on the matter, I would like to hear as I am always up to learning more and if I feel inclined to changing my mind on the matter, then I will. I just would like to hear from others so I can rethink my decision.

Thanks for your time!

Semper Fi!

REX681959

imported post

I never used to carry extra. All I carried was a 5 shot 44 magnum & no extra ammo.Then I got it a heated debate about that very subject.It went something like this. My thoughts were 5hollow point300 grain bullets should be enough to bring anyone down. Now here is the answer. How good a shot are you? Do you feel that you'll never have to repell an attacker from more than 8 or 10 feet? Do you want to be ready for anything ? My answers were that yes that's the reason I carried a large caliber handgun with a little longer barrel so that I had a better chance of hitting what I was aiming at & enough power to take down an attacker.

1. The only shot that will stop someone 99.9% of the time is a shot to the central nervous system (brain or spine). Any hunter will tell you you can almost never drop an animal in it's tracks. But animals don't shoot back.

2.If someone is shooting at you I don't think you are going to stand in a weaver stance & shoot back. no you'll be running for cover & trying to defend yourself at the same time. If you have a place to try it set up a BIG target. Run & shoot at the same time. My guess is you won't hit squat.

3. Adreniline is going to be pumping so that you'll empty your gur in about 5 seconds or you'll not shoot at all. I vote for poion 1. That being said even if you hit your attacker 3 or 4 times (which I doubt) they could still be a threat. Not to even get into the fact that your attacker could have a rifle or shotgun.

But then again it's not always practical to carry a big gun & lots of ammo. A 25 in the pocket is better than a 45 at hme.

Youcan NEVER be completely prepared for anything. so I guess it just depends on how prepared do you want to me

Just my 2 cents

:what:

NCjones

imported post

I carry a sig loaded with 15 and an extra mag for a total of 31 (one in the tube).

I don't think that is extreme. The whacko at Fort Hood took 4 rounds and he's still breathing. Like Rex said, in a real firefight where you're fighting for your life, you're going to be more likely to hit the BG by accident than by good shooting due to the factors that he has mentioned. For instance, in my first firefight in Iraq, my hands were trembling so bad I could hardly hold the rifle, even tho I was an expert shot on the range where there was no stress or adrenaline.

Just check out the back of any guns & ammo mag in the letters section where the BG took 10 rounds of 9mm or 6 or 7 of .45 and was still coming.

Dreamer

imported post

When OCing, I carry a .45acp Para Ordnance S-14.45 with a spare mag. That's 13+1 in the pistol, and 14 in the spare (The spare mag has an extended buttpad--not so much because one extra round is that important, but because the bigger buttpad makes it a LOT easier to grab and handle in a stressful situation.)

When I CC, I usually don't carry a spare mag, because the Para mags are big, bulky, heavy, and difficult to CC.

Rattrapper

imported post

To the intial question. I am a Police Firearms Instructor, When carrying off duty I "ALWAYS' stress carrying an extra magazine. Most mulfunctions with an auto loader are shooter induced. So when the SHTF time comes you do not have time to sort things out, Rip out the mag, rack the slide to clear and insert fresh mag,and rack the slide to load. and continue to march. This drill needs to practiced until you are instictive with it. above all else TRAIN, TRAIN, and TRAIN

buzzsaw

imported post

I can't attest to this personally but I did witness part of the trial that ensued so will offer it in the" more is always welcome category". A bartender was tried in the late 60,s for the excessive use of force in the shooting of a patron of his bar. The patron having had too many adult beverages was refused further service. He went out side to his truck and returned with a machete declaring his intention to do violence to the bartender if not served. The bar keep pulled a 1911 colt .45 and suggested that he rethink the matter. In the course of travel from the front door to the bar the patron received the contents of a full magazine from the .45 (mostly center of mass according to later testimony). The bartender realized the .45 was empty and had no additional magazine so he reached under the bar and produced a "coach gun" 12ga. and delivered both barrels into the enraged patron ending that part of the evenings events. I can't say that would be the norm but as they say Stuff happens. Carry on.

chiefjason

imported post

G19 and extra mag whether OC or CC. If I ever had to shoot I would want to reload ASAP to get a full mag back in it. I did some shooting today. Started about 30 ft, drew, and emptied my mag 15+1. Kind of surprising how fast that G19 ran dry. I imagine in a gun fight you could empty one before you even realized it. Then what?

Ratt402

imported post

I thank everyone for their inputs. Being a former Marine, I TOTALLY understand about the training and carrying extra ammo. I was just unsure of the balance of being prepared for SHTF and being extreme and getting a negative views.

I have always wanted to be prepared, but also didn't want to hurt the cause by coming across the wrong way to others who were anti-guns. I see I was being ultra conservative and really should just go with my original instincts to carry an extra mag or two.

Once again, I am glad to have everyone's input!

Semper Fi!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ask yourself what local LEOs carry and why.

Mine daily carry is a 1911 with 2 extra 8 rd mags = 25 normal complement + 5 rd BUG and that is still a lot less than the average LEO.

Think multiple aggressors, moving and firing. Running dry will increase your pucker power.

Yata hey

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I tend to carry additional ammo in the form of a BUG. Lately, I've been carrying two BUGs (just got an ankle holster and love having a J frame down below). I carry a bug because shit happens. Plain and simple. One catastrophic failure and your firearm is out of comission. At times I carry additional mags, but I find additional firearms are a better option.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You should carry at least one extra full magazine. Not so much for maximum firepower as you are not very likely to encounter a large force and you hopefully won't need too many bullets. Carry an extra mag for the fact that the one in your gun may malfunction. Instead of trying to troubleshoot your gun in a fire fight, you may need to drop the current magazine, clear the chamber and load another mag in rapid succession and not take the chance on the first magazine not havinga problem on the second attempt (so just go to the next mag).

Godscreation

imported post

I OC either a G17 or G19 with an extra mag.

G17 two full mags of 17 plus the pipe = 35
G19 two full mags of 15 plus the pipe = 31

I CC a G26

G26 one full mag and a spare G17 mag = 27

I also have a 31 rd. mag with 25 rds in it that I keep in the glove box.

NCjones

imported post

I carry my sig with just the one magazine.:lol:

SigMag.jpg

ABNinfantryman

imported post

Ratt402 wrote:
I thank everyone for their inputs. Being a former Marine, I TOTALLY understand about the training and carrying extra ammo. I was just unsure of the balance of being prepared for SHTF and being extreme and getting a negative views.

I have always wanted to be prepared, but also didn't want to hurt the cause by coming across the wrong way to others who were anti-guns. I see I was being ultra conservative and really should just go with my original instincts to carry an extra mag or two.

Once again, I am glad to have everyone's input!

Semper Fi!

You brought up a conversation I've been writing a piece on for the past couple of days. While browsing one of the threads asking what weapon people OC there were a few who carry "classics" saying that they shoot accurately enough to end the fight in the five shots they carry. Those guys have obviously never been in a fire fight or combat, and I'm speaking as someone who shoots expert with every weapon system the Army offers and has earned their combat infantry badge many times over. There's a reason why cops carry two extra mags and why soldiers carry at least SEVEN mags of THIRY rounds for a total of 210 if they're a rifleman. When I was the designated marksman for my squadI carried an M14 with ten mags of twenty rounds of 7.62 each on my kit, along with my M4slung and the mags for it in my day pack.

"Oh, well that was combat!" I don't care whator where the situation is, if I'm shooting at someone and someone is shooting at me, it's combat. In combat adrenaline starts pumping and your first reaction is going tobe, and should be,to fire as many rounds as possible so you gain fire superiority and put them on the defensive.

I carry two to three guns when I CC. I have a chest harness for my Glock 30 and two Glock 21 mags, a Glock 21 on my left hip which can be cross drawed, a Glock 31 on my right hip, and four mags on my belt, two for each of the full sizes. That's 75 rounds of .45 and 45 rounds of .357 sig. I'll leave the chest harness at home if weather doesn't permit and I haven't been able to try out my galco stomach wrap yet. Excessive? Maybe, but I've been in enough situations where I have needed and not had that I've learned the lesson quite well. I'm not looking for a fight, but if one comes my way I will finish it and not worry about whether or not I have enough ammo or if my weapon's going to become disabled.

Ratt402

imported post

I thank you for the return comments. I am one of those that have actually fired at another person in defense and killed him while I was in the Marines. Course, it was a 50 cal machine gun from my helicopter, but none the less, the adrenaline was flowing good and it all seemed like a foggy memory that was over in a few seconds. I agree its a good idea to have extra ammo as well as at least one extra clip just to CMA (cover my ass) in an emergency and have a misfire or a magazine problem. I have changed my view on such due to the generous posts on here. I hope I never have to repeat that action again, but I will with no regrets in defense of myself, my family, friends or just another human being.

Take care and thanks again everyone!

Semper Fi!