• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Removed from Walmart in Spokane

bennie1986

imported post

I was on my way hunting and stopped at the north point walmart in spokane for some supplies. I was in the hunting section when i was approached by management and was asked to leave because i was making people feel uncomfortable (my gun was being carried in a correct legal fashion) and walmart policy prohibits it. I called the GM the next day to complain and he had not heard of any policy that states I count carry my gun. He took my info and was suppose to call me back to let me know if that was the case but never got a call back. I called again tonight and was told by another manager that he sees people with guns all the time and has never heard of a policy that restricts firearms in the store. He also took my info and should be calling me back in the next few days, we'll see.

BobR

imported post

I am often up @ that time of the morning, maybe a visit to the WalMart will be in order, even though I hate going to Wally World.

bob

deanf

imported post

Private businesses can make up their rules of conduct on the fly, and enforce them on anyone they want, anytime they want, unless the person they are enforcing against is a member of a protected class.

The internal rules regarding which employee has the authority to make or enforce regulations are none of our business, and a criminal court wouldn't be concerned with them.

"management" asking you to leave was not illegal. Any employee can ask you to leave at any time for any reason and you must comply or face a trespass charge.

I'm not saying don't complain. I'm just saying if any employee asks you to leave, you must. Retorting with "well that's not Walmart policy - see I have this email to prove it" will not provide immunity from prosecution.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

These by chance wernt you?

544.jpg

264.jpg

okkid

imported post

Your wrong on this one as there policy is to follow State law in the State there in.

Carry on!!!!

okkid

imported post

Just venting and I know you can't just get pissed off when we get pushed around by these people is all.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
okkid wrote:
Your wrong on this one as there policy is to follow State law in the State there in.

Carry on!!!!

So how do you enforce this policy if the manager wants you to leave?

You don't. sorry.

I work for a retailer, Staples! That was Easy.

At times I have asked 'non customers' to leave based on poor behavior or safety. Such as using profanity even after I have asked them to stop. I then simply inform them they are on private property and must leave. There is no 'company policy', I simply have the right as the agent for the property owner to ensure the professionalism and safety of my associates and customers. Frankly I do not need a reason to ask someone to leave. Obviously I would like their business, however there are certain things that I feel require expulsion from a public setting.

Now that being said (and I would and never have asked someone to leave for OC, by the way I am about a block from Champion Arms and have had OC) here is the best way to respond to a retailer in my opinion.

Recognize the manager and provide a brief response to both the legality of your position and to knowlege of the companies view on legal activities (I know no retailer that prevents customers from OC or CC, only employees). Get his name and his managers name (location manager). Then follow up in a polite way so that the next time you may OC.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

joeroket wrote:
okkid wrote:

Carry on!!!!

I agree with leave when asked, but it wasn't the Manager of the store that asked him to leave. So definately follow up and find out what managers stance is.

When this happened to me I got a call from the GM of Bellingham Wal-mart apologizing, and that he has instructed all his employees that Wal-mart that I and others lawfully carrying are allowed. Another member in Bellngham reported that the guythat asked me to leave told him he got in trouble for it.

Terry Bellingham manager also told me if I am told again to leave, I don't have to comply, and to call him personally.

joeroket

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
joeroket wrote:
okkid wrote:

Carry on!!!!

You don't.  sorry.

I work for a retailer, Staples! That was Easy.

At times I have asked 'non customers' to leave based on poor behavior or safety.  Such as using profanity even after I have asked them to stop.  I then simply inform them they are on private property and must leave.  There is no 'company policy', I simply have the right as the agent for the property owner to ensure the professionalism and safety of my associates and customers.  Frankly I do not need a reason to ask someone to leave.  Obviously I would like their business, however there are certain things that I feel require expulsion from a public setting.

Now that being said (and I would and never have asked someone to leave for OC, by the way I am about a block from Champion Arms and have had OC) here is the best way to respond to a retailer in my opinion.

Recognize the manager and provide a brief response to both the legality of your position and to knowlege of the companies view on legal activities (I know no retailer that prevents customers from OC or CC, only employees).  Get his name and his managers name (location manager).  Then follow up in a polite way so that the next time you may OC.

Thanks for the explanation but my question was rhetoric. I worked retail management for quite a number of years.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I talked to the Shadle ParkWall Mart head of security when he stopped by the OC table at the gun show last week. He clearly stated that OC was OK in all Spokane Wall Marts and to look him up the next time I was in the store.

I know that tacmedic has carryed in the northpoint Wall Mart on many occasions with out any problems.

Bennie I think you just got an uninformed manager.

I feel a trip to Wally World coming up in the next few days I will report back once I go.

BobR I hate Wall Mart too.

Orphan

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I went to Wall Mart at Northpoint in Spokane today OC. My wife had a 1 minute conversation with the greeterI was standing 4 or 5 feet away strong side to the greeter, I dont think she noticed. We then went to look for a new blanket spent 15 minutes looking. Then we went to look for a new camera and talked to a sales associate for 10 minutes. Camera sales associatefor suresaw my weapon never batted an eye. All in all we were in Wall Mart for about 35 minutes and noone said a word. I was wearing a bright orange HD tee shirt and jeans with my Smith & Wesson SW9F 9mm IWB holster, hard to miss trigger guard and up was exposed against the orange tee shirt.

I also went to

Panda Express lunch 20 minutes

Harbor Freight Salvage transfer punches 15 minutes

Shopko contacts, blanket, camera 30 minutes

Fred Meyer Wandermere Food, camera, blanket 45 minutes

Coeur D Alene metals home welding project 15 minutes

AR tool to look at an Ironworker 45 minutes

Not a word said all day

Orphan

Vandal

imported post

IIRC, it is Wal-Mart company policy to follow state law regarding firearm carry. I have OC'd in my local one many times with no reactions.

I will check with a good buddy of mine who works there tonight for clarification.

joeroket

imported post

Vandal wrote:
IIRC, it is Wal-Mart company policy to follow state law regarding firearm carry. I have OC'd in my local one many times with no reactions.

I will check with a good buddy of mine who works there tonight for clarification.

It is corporate policy for them to follow state law, however that does not mean crap if an employee is asking you to leave. You must still comply at the time and fight it with his superiors later. Believe me managers do not take kindly to others going against policy when it comes to money not being spent in their store.