• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tribal Land

tyguy808

imported post

Does anyone know the laws affecting us regarding carrying on tribal lands? Is there somewhere I can go to find out?

joeroket

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
Does anyone know the laws affecting us regarding carrying on tribal lands? Is there somewhere I can go to find out?

Follow state law. Tribal laws and rules only apply to tribal members. Tribal councils do have the authority to trespass you, however not likely for legally carrying a firearm.

tyguy808

imported post

I was reading somewhere, I can't remember where, that Tribes DO govern their land and that they can make their own rules.

joeroket

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
I was reading somewhere, I can't remember where, that Tribes DO govern their land and that they can make their own rules.
They do but they have only been afforded the authority to enforce those rules against tribal members. Non-tribal members follow state law and any infraction or arrest against a non-tribal member can only be for a local or state law.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

joeroket wrote:
tyguy808 wrote:
They do but they have only been afforded the authority to enforce those rules against tribal members. Non-tribal members follow state law and any infraction or arrest against a non-tribal member can only be for a local or state law.

That is changing on some tribes though. Some of our local tribes are enacting and getting granted soonpowers to try and convict non tribal criminals.

Most natives I know are pro 2A. I have carried on my local tribe on many occasions mostly concealed because it was mostly business, but the times I have open carried or have discussions, they were for it. Of course most these were from relatives.

Ty like Hawaiians native americans viewed being armed as a right long before Europeans in America wrote the 2A. One very likely origen of the 2a comes from the this concept and contact with indigenous people.

That doesn't mean that all tribes or if you are not known to tribal members that you will get away with open carrying on the soveriegn land without being trespassed, or worse.

edit..I accidently used your full first....oops...don't know if you care or not..

joeroket

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
joeroket wrote:
tyguy808 wrote:

That is changing on some tribes though. Some of our local tribes are enacting and getting granted soon powers to try and convict non tribal criminals.

Most natives I know are pro 2A. I have carried on my local tribe on many occasions mostly concealed because it was mostly business, but the times I have open carried or have discussions, they were for it. Of course most these were from relatives.

Ty like Hawaiians native americans viewed being armed as a right long before Europeans in America wrote the 2A. One very likely origen of the 2a comes from the this concept and contact with indigenous people.

That doesn't mean that all tribes or if you are not known to tribal members that you will get away with open carrying on the soveriegn land without being trespassed, or worse.

edit..I accidently used your full first....oops...don't know if you care or not..

The tribe is not getting granted powers to charge non-tribal members. What they are doing is having their LEO commissioned by the state which allows them to not require assistance from a municipal, county or state LEO when they have contact with a non-tribal member who has committed a crime on the tribal land. This also allows the tribal officers to assist other agencies off tribal land if needed. Before this law was enacted to grant this tribal LEO were not allowed to arrest, only detain, non-tribal members and they were not allowed any authority off tribal land.

Also the tribe does not get to claim sovereignty due to unlawful conduct by a tribe LEO. They are required by law to be insured just the same as any state law enforcement agency.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

joeroket wrote:
joeroket wrote:
tyguy808 wrote:

That is changing on some tribes though. Some of our local tribes are enacting and getting granted soonpowers to try and convict non tribal criminals.

The tribe is not getting granted powers to charge non-tribal members. What they are doing is having their LEO commissioned by the state which allows them to not require assistance from a municipal, county or state LEO when they have contact with a non-tribal member who has committed a crime on the tribal land. This also allows the tribal officers to assist other agencies off tribal land if needed. Before this law was enacted to grant this tribal LEO were not allowed to arrest, only detain, non-tribal members and they were not allowed any authority off tribal land.
Yes they are getting that, but there are some tribes who have federal and not state treaties, who are working on and will probably get full powers to detain and try non tribal criminals,I knowthe folks working on thistrust me. I hope they do get it. Although it might be sometime off.

There are cases were tribes have precident over state courts e.g. one of my businesses is a tribal business, and tribal courts take precedent over state, otherwise you have to go federal.

Also in some divorce/custody cases where one party is not tribal member and othersare many tribes have can overrule state rulings. And even get the trial and procedings moved to tribal court.

joeroket

imported post

SVG, if you could PM me I would really like more info on that. I am unaware of it and it really is a topic that interests me because of my close proximity to Tulalip, which is under the Point Elliot Treaty.

deanf

imported post

I was reading somewhere that they must follow state law and that their rules only apply to tribal members - yep, read it right at the top of this thread.

There, it's settled.

Isn't the www great?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

joeroket wrote:
SVG, if you could PM me I would really like more info on that. I am unaware of it and it really is a topic that interests me because of my close proximity to Tulalip, which is under the Point Elliot Treaty.
My cousin has most the info, There are a few tribes like lummi that have federal treaties. Tulalip and lummi are very closely related though, let me talk to my cousin and find outthe specifics he is more in tune to it.

joeroket

imported post

joeroket wrote:
My cousin has most the info, There are a few tribes like lummi that have federal treaties. Tulalip and lummi are very closely related though, let me talk to my cousin and find out the specifics he is more in tune to it.

Lummi and Tulalip are both covered under the same federal treaty.

I look forward to the info SVG.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

joeroket wrote:
joeroket wrote:
My cousin has most the info, There are a few tribes like lummi that have federal treaties. Tulalip and lummi are very closely related though, let me talk to my cousin and find outthe specifics he is more in tune to it.

Lummi and Tulalip are both covered under the same federal treaty.

I look forward to the info SVG.
The treaty of 1855. Yep most other tribes are under state treaties. I should see my cousing tomorrow, see what he says.