• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legislative panel considers gun control bill', RiverTowns.net

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.rivertowns.net/daily/rfj/c091113/
STATE CAPITOL -- A legislative committee is considering a gun control bill with strong backing from the Milwaukee District Attorney. It would make it a felony to knowingly buy a gun for a felon.

A hearing this week on the "straw gun buyer" bill prompted some partisan debate in the Assembly Committee on Criminal Justice. Its sponsor, Rep. Scott Gunderson, R-Waterford is one of the most adamant gun rights advocates in the legislature. [Wheew! Must be a NRA member too!]

But he says this bill is needed to give prosecutors the tools they need to prevent people from buying guns for felons. Gunderson says it makes sense to put some teeth in gun laws to try to stop people who are buying firearms illegally.

Gunderson's bill only applies to people who lie on a background check form at a licensed gun dealer and sell their gun to a felon. Democrats on the committee want to add amendments to the bill that would cover guns purchased at gun shows as well.

Milwaukee DA John Chisholm supports the bill, but he'd like to see it go even further. He favors a regulation that would require any non-gun dealer selling a gun to go to a licensed gun store and go through a background check and make a sale there. [Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.]

This would have an impact on people selling guns at gun shows. Chisholm also favors establishing a permit system for people to carry concealed weapons.

Chisholm urged the legislature to come with more comprehensive reforms that would also allow for concealed carry permits in the state with stiff penalties for people who carry weapons without a permit. -- Gil Halsted, WHA/WERN-Madison

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.rivertowns.net/daily/rfj/c091113/
STATE CAPITOL -- A legislative committee is considering a gun control bill with strong backing from the Milwaukee District Attorney. It would make it a felony to knowingly buy a gun for a felon.

A hearing this week on the "straw gun buyer" bill prompted some partisan debate in the Assembly Committee on Criminal Justice. Its sponsor, Rep. Scott Gunderson, R-Waterford is one of the most adamant gun rights advocates in the legislature. [Wheew! Must be a NRA member too!]

But he says this bill is needed to give prosecutors the tools they need to prevent people from buying guns for felons. Gunderson says it makes sense to put some teeth in gun laws to try to stop people who are buying firearms illegally.

Gunderson's bill only applies to people who lie on a background check form at a licensed gun dealer and sell their gun to a felon. Democrats on the committee want to add amendments to the bill that would cover guns purchased at gun shows as well.

Milwaukee DA John Chisholm supports the bill, but he'd like to see it go even further. He favors a regulation that would require any non-gun dealer selling a gun to go to a licensed gun store and go through a background check and make a sale there. [Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.]

This would have an impact on people selling guns at gun shows. Chisholm also favors establishing a permit system for people to carry concealed weapons.

Chisholm urged the legislature to come with more comprehensive reforms that would also allow for concealed carry permits in the state with stiff penalties for people who carry weapons without a permit. -- Gil Halsted, WHA/WERN-Madison
There you go. Your right just became a privilege.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

This winter, the snowflakes shall fall in the shapeof dollar signs for all the "Certified Instructors" that are foaming at the mouth to get a permitting system for firearm carry in WI if this makes it to a bill.

So many people in WI will see this as a great thingand think that they will finally have the option to carry concealed,and not even realize it restricts their rights more than what they/wealready have right now and have had forever.

Doug, your sentence "Beware of Greeks with gifts" got me laughing pretty good even though I know exactly what you meant by it.
I stillpictured a dark-skinned guy holding outplates of kabobs and and Gyroswhile saying 'here, you'll like'ah the food, eat, eat, it's good for you",

greekfood.jpg

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

He, your guy, sounda like Italiano. Mange, mange! is eat, eat in Italian as I recall.

That's what the old maitre d' hotel at Ristoraunte Garibaldi on Santo Stefano, north of Sardinia, used to tell us. Vin ordinare was like 100 Lira for five liters and the tortellini was wonderful.

I never did pick-up any spoken Greek. When I was in college (SJS) before the Navy, we had to take a PE class for our first two years. We, all 180 in my experimental honors program, chose Balkan Dancing and had a blast. The local high-end Greek restaurant, 'Zorba's' comp'ed our dinners in exchange for an hour of the dances that we learned. Avoglemono and retsina!

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interesting. Gunderson tries to design a horse and the Democrats and Chisholm immediately try to turn it into a camel?

Beware the lorelei.