Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Open carry web site

Post imported post

Iam new to this web cite and i am glued to the postings

I came across this web site after i googled info on the difference between ccw and cpl. Also my 17 yr. old son kept telling me that it was leagel to open carry. I am glued to the postings on here. My wife was sitting next to me last night when i found you and she supported OC, she said she wants a pink gun to carry. My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law. But i will talk to him about it and see how he feels about it, regardless of his feeling and or thoughts i support it. I still plan on getting my cpl, just for that added protection.

keep up the fight and rock on!!!!

Post imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
    My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law.
    Welcome!

I too own a Glock, but it's a Glock 23. Anyway, just so you know, there is no law that says you can OC. There is just no law that says you can't OC. Laws are usually made to prevent people from doing certain things.

There is alot to read here, but before you decide to OC, make sure you read the topic WASH, RINSE, REPEAT until you have memorized the important information is has to offer. I realize having a relative who is a LEO will probably help you in that you won't get hassled as much, or at all, but just remeber to cover you a$$. Most OCer's have not had any issues with LEO's, but some have been charged with crimes because the LEO's either don't realize OC is legal, or they just simply don't like it.

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!!!!!!!! Be sure to check out the encounters on the Youtube site as well.

http://www.youtube.com/OpenCarryMI

As I'm typing this I'm also editing an interesting motorcycle encounter.

Mike

Post imported post

Glock 19 wrote:

I came across this web site after i googled info on the difference between ccw and cpl. Also my 17 yr. old son kept telling me that it was leagel to open carry. I am glued to the postings on here. My wife was sitting next to me last night when i found you and she supported OC, she said she wants a pink gun to carry. My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law. But i will talk to him about it and see how he feels about it, regardless of his feeling and or thoughts i support it. I still plan on getting my cpl, just for that added protection.

Welcome aboard!

When yourson turns 18, hemay provide for his own self-defense and lawfully OC,during the three years he is legally an adult but not trusted by the state to carry concealed (you must be 21 to apply for a CPL). A person aged 18 to 20 y/ois not permitted to purchase a handgun from a dealer, but may lawfully acquire (through gift or purchase) a handgun from another private person who lawfully owns the handgun. The normal process of obtaining a purchase permit and registration must be followed, as usual.

In addition to asking for your brother's "feelings", of much more importance is to ask if he and the department he works for are trained properlyto respect the rights of citizens. Do every one of themknowthat open carry is legal? Do every one of them knowthatit is unlawful to stop anyone merely because they are openly carrying, without reasonable suspicion that person is involved in a crime? Please let us know what his responses to those questions are.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Glock 19 wrote:

Welcome to the forums! You'll learn a lot here.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

P.S. I carry a Glock 22 and I love it!
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

Welcome to MOC! Enjoy! There is much to learn....hehehehe
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

I carry a Glock 21! I love it! Oh and sometimes a Glock 27!

Good STUFF!

Welcome to the site!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Post imported post

Glock 19 wrote:

Talked to my LEO brother today showed him the info that i printed out from the MIOC website,he did not know about it, was alright with it, best to have a cpl to cover your @#$%, he also said, he would not draw on anyone unless he felt he had too. still would ask for ID/gun registration and or cpl to make sure everything is on the up and up( he works in the hood of saginaw....BV....) said when he goes to court next week would run it by the PA...will let every one know the out come when i get it.

Post imported post

still would ask for ID/gun registration and or cpl to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Your efforts are a good start. Inform him that without probable cause, he should not be asking for ID or permission to run the registration. He may not like it, but it's the law he has sworn to uphold.

Post imported post

it's ok for him to ask, it is also ok for you to refuse.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    still would ask for ID/gun registration and or cpl to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Your efforts are a good start. Inform him that without probable cause, he should not be asking for ID or permission to run the registration. He may not like it, but it's the law he has sworn to uphold.

That would be RAS (reasonable articulable suspision)

Probable cause is needed for an arrest RAS for a terry stop and questioning.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I stand corrected...go ahead and confuse this old guy with facts.

Post imported post

Deja Vu...

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:

What i should have said after i looked at it agian is he would run the registration if ( serial number) you as an oc'er did not have it on you. I respect your thoughts, but i still would have no problem with a LEO asking me for my ID/cpl ( which by the way i just picked up an app. yesterday) makes life easier. ( its just my beleaves)

Post imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
    What i should have said after i looked at it agian is he would run the registration if ( serial number) you as an oc'er did not have it on you. I respect your thoughts, but i still would have no problem with a LEO asking me for my ID/cpl ( which by the way i just picked up an app. yesterday) makes life easier. ( its just my beleaves)
    Well you could be helping your brother out by letting him know he could be slapped with a lawsuit if he does certain things without RAS.

For example, you say "he would run the registration if ( serial number) you as an oc'er did not have it on you." I assume you are saying if he saw an OCer, he would approach him, and get the gun from the OCer and run the serial numbers.

A few things here that could open himself up to a lawsuit...

1) If he demands the firearm, and the OCer does not consent, and the officer has no RAS, but he takes the firearm anyway

2) He runs the serial number without any RAS that that firearm is stolen (was they a report of a missing make/model and that OCer is carrying the same make/model?).

You could be saving your brother some money and his job by informing him of things such as these.

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    Glock 19 wrote:
    Well you could be helping your brother out by letting him know he could be slapped with a lawsuit if he does certain things without RAS.

For example, you say "he would run the registration if ( serial number) you as an oc'er did not have it on you." I assume you are saying if he saw an OCer, he would approach him, and get the gun from the OCer and run the serial numbers.

A few things here that could open himself up to a lawsuit...

1) If he demands the firearm, and the OCer does not consent, and the officer has no RAS, but he takes the firearm anyway

2) He runs the serial number without any RAS that that firearm is stolen (was they a report of a missing make/model and that OCer is carrying the same make/model?).

You could be saving your brother some money and his job by informing him of things such as these.
    i will ask him to clarify, but i still feel that if it makes life easier...just comply...agian just my opinion thats all not trying to piss any one off, belive me iam for carrying just be smart and safe thats all.

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    Glock 19 wrote:
    My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law.
    Welcome!

I too own a Glock, but it's a Glock 23. Anyway, just so you know, there is no law that says you can OC. There is just no law that says you can't OC. Laws are usually made to prevent people from doing certain things.

There is alot to read here, but before you decide to OC, make sure you read the topic WASH, RINSE, REPEAT until you have memorized the important information is has to offer. I realize having a relative who is a LEO will probably help you in that you won't get hassled as much, or at all, but just remeber to cover you a$$. Most OCer's have not had any issues with LEO's, but some have been charged with crimes because the LEO's either don't realize OC is legal, or they just simply don't like it.
    Well technically there is legislation allowing for open carry, even concealed carry if you want my opinion. It is called the 2nd, and the Mi A.1 S.6 I know you know this just thought I'd point it out for our new bro.
    :celebrate

Post imported post

1) If he demands the firearm,

OK T Vance he would not demand the firearm as you said..he would ask ask if the oc'er has his regis./cpl (like he told me yesterday, everyone forgets their wallet from time to time) so he would ask to run the numbers to make sure everything is good, if everything chks out have a good day..wouldn't that be easier than being stubborn about it, maybe i' am wrong if i'am so be it, its just my opinion.

if on turkey-day i can get him to post on here with me and give his thoughts will you"listen" to what he has too say...

Post imported post

Welcome to the site, and to OC.

Don't take our legal corrections of LEO's actions personal we just want all to know that we are citizens first, residents second, and we are innocent till proven otherwise, it is backed up by Constitutional law. Remember the Constitution no matter what a LEO tells you is there to "PROTECT US FROM THEM, THEY ARE THE VERY PEOPLE THE CONSTITUTION IS THERE TO PROTECT"

Post imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
    i will ask him to clarify, but i still feel that if it makes life easier...just comply...agian just my opinion thats all not trying to piss any one off, belive me iam for carrying just be smart and safe thats all.
    Don't worry, you're not ******* anyone off. It might make life easier for some? I've had a personal experience where I "cooperated" with the LEO's because I knew I wasn't breaking any laws. A few days later, found out I was being charged with a crime. This is the reason I choose not to "cooperate".

I share my story so others can see what happens if you are polite and cooperative at times. Look at Kimberguy's example of what happened today. He refused ID, and was slapped with a littering fine. Would they have done that anyway? Will may never know. One thing we do know is that the JPD knows that OC is legal, they have detained Kimberguy 6 times prior to this, yet they still send 3 officers to investigate him (even when they know who he is, and that he is not a criminal).

So if you choose to provide CPL, go for it. I'm not here to judge how you decide to handle yoor encounters. Carry on my friend!

Post imported post

(My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law. thoughts i )

I also have another Bro LEO in kazoo/BC area dont ask what dept. havent talked to him in about 14 yrs. he's a "barney fife"

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    Glock 19 wrote:
    Don't worry, you're not ******* anyone off. It might make life easier for some? I've had a personal experience where I "cooperated" with the LEO's because I knew I wasn't breaking any laws. A few days later, found out I was being charged with a crime. This is the reason I choose not to "cooperate".

I share my story so others can see what happens if you are polite and cooperative at times. Look at Kimberguy's example of what happened today. He refused ID, and was slapped with a littering fine. Would they have done that anyway? Will may never know. One thing we do know is that the JPD knows that OC is legal, they have detained Kimberguy 6 times prior to this, yet they still send 3 officers to investigate him (even when they know who he is, and that he is not a criminal).

So if you choose to provide CPL, go for it. I'm not here to judge how you decide to handle yoor encounters. Carry on my friend!
    It's all good and i understand kimbers deal what JPD is doing is BS, they have a real problem and i said earlier they are trying to flex thier punie muscles.And i feel they are harrassing him for kicks. you also carry on my friend!!

Post imported post

conservative85 wrote:
    Welcome to the site, and to OC.

Don't take our legal corrections of LEO's actions personal we just want all to know that we are citizens first, residents second, and we are innocent till proven otherwise, it is backed up by Constitutional law. Remember the Constitution no matter what a LEO tells you is there to "PROTECT US FROM THEM, THEY ARE THE VERY PEOPLE THE CONSTITUTION IS THERE TO PROTECT"
    None taken thats what this for to express our thoughts with out getting into fights

Post imported post

No problem, I just know from personal experience that typing words on post can lack correct expression and or punctuation , leaving room for some to assume.

For instance I am old school, and capitol letters are not a form of screaming, and red letters don't mean anger, and I type what I mean literally, If I chose to be sarcastic or angry all will know this plainly.

Any hoo on the LEO thing as far as cooperating I did that before and was lucky, but even I as a former LEO I knew better. This is a trap to get you to be comfortable, and "talk", it can be all down hill after that. The burden of proof is on the Govt.(i.e. cops, lawyers, judges) We have been so indoctrinated to believe cops are good guys and on our side. It may be for small children, and at one time it may have been a organization to protect and serve, but it has become to "push and shove" (IMHO)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast