• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open carry web site

Glock 19

imported post

Iam new to this web cite and i am glued to the postings

I came across this web site after i googled info on the difference between ccw and cpl. Also my 17 yr. old son kept telling me that it was leagel to open carry. I am glued to the postings on here. My wife was sitting next to me last night when i found you and she supported OC, she said she wants a pink gun to carry. My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law. But i will talk to him about it and see how he feels about it, regardless of his feeling and or thoughts i support it. I still plan on getting my cpl, just for that added protection.

keep up the fight and rock on!!!!

T Vance

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law.

Welcome!

I too own a Glock, but it's a Glock 23. Anyway, just so you know, there is no law that says you can OC. There is just no law that says you can't OC. Laws are usually made to prevent people from doing certain things.

There is alot to read here, but before you decide to OC, make sure you read the topic WASH, RINSE, REPEAT until you have memorized the important information is has to offer. I realize having a relative who is a LEO will probably help you in that you won't get hassled as much, or at all, but just remeber to cover you a$$. Most OCer's have not had any issues with LEO's, but some have been charged with crimes because the LEO's either don't realize OC is legal, or they just simply don't like it.

DanM

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:

I came across this web site after i googled info on the difference between ccw and cpl. Also my 17 yr. old son kept telling me that it was leagel to open carry. I am glued to the postings on here. My wife was sitting next to me last night when i found you and she supported OC, she said she wants a pink gun to carry. My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law. But i will talk to him about it and see how he feels about it, regardless of his feeling and or thoughts i support it. I still plan on getting my cpl, just for that added protection.

Welcome aboard!

When yourson turns 18, hemay provide for his own self-defense and lawfully OC,during the three years he is legally an adult but not trusted by the state to carry concealed (you must be 21 to apply for a CPL). A person aged 18 to 20 y/ois not permitted to purchase a handgun from a dealer, but may lawfully acquire (through gift or purchase) a handgun from another private person who lawfully owns the handgun. The normal process of obtaining a purchase permit and registration must be followed, as usual.

In addition to asking for your brother's "feelings", of much more importance is to ask if he and the department he works for are trained properlyto respect the rights of citizens. Do every one of themknowthat open carry is legal? Do every one of them knowthatit is unlawful to stop anyone merely because they are openly carrying, without reasonable suspicion that person is involved in a crime? Please let us know what his responses to those questions are.

EM87

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:

Welcome to the forums! You'll learn a lot here.

Glock 19

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:

Talked to my LEO brother today showed him the info that i printed out from the MIOC website,he did not know about it, was alright with it, best to have a cpl to cover your @#$%, he also said, he would not draw on anyone unless he felt he had too. still would ask for ID/gun registration and or cpl to make sure everything is on the up and up( he works in the hood of saginaw....BV....) said when he goes to court next week would run it by the PA...will let every one know the out come when i get it.

WARCHILD

imported post

still would ask for ID/gun registration and or cpl to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Your efforts are a good start. Inform him that without probable cause, he should not be asking for ID or permission to run the registration. He may not like it, but it's the law he has sworn to uphold.

autosurgeon

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
still would ask for ID/gun registration and or cpl to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Your efforts are a good start. Inform him that without probable cause, he should not be asking for ID or permission to run the registration. He may not like it, but it's the law he has sworn to uphold.

That would be RAS (reasonable articulable suspision)

Probable cause is needed for an arrest RAS for a terry stop and questioning.

Glock 19

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:

What i should have said after i looked at it agian is he would run the registration if ( serial number) you as an oc'er did not have it on you. I respect your thoughts, but i still would have no problem with a LEO asking me for my ID/cpl ( which by the way i just picked up an app. yesterday) makes life easier. ( its just my beleaves)

T Vance

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
What i should have said after i looked at it agian is he would run the registration if ( serial number) you as an oc'er did not have it on you. I respect your thoughts, but i still would have no problem with a LEO asking me for my ID/cpl ( which by the way i just picked up an app. yesterday) makes life easier. ( its just my beleaves)

Well you could be helping your brother out by letting him know he could be slapped with a lawsuit if he does certain things without RAS.

For example, you say "he would run the registration if ( serial number) you as an oc'er did not have it on you." I assume you are saying if he saw an OCer, he would approach him, and get the gun from the OCer and run the serial numbers.

A few things here that could open himself up to a lawsuit...

1) If he demands the firearm, and the OCer does not consent, and the officer has no RAS, but he takes the firearm anyway

2) He runs the serial number without any RAS that that firearm is stolen (was they a report of a missing make/model and that OCer is carrying the same make/model?).

You could be saving your brother some money and his job by informing him of things such as these.

Glock 19

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:

Well you could be helping your brother out by letting him know he could be slapped with a lawsuit if he does certain things without RAS.

For example, you say "he would run the registration if ( serial number) you as an oc'er did not have it on you." I assume you are saying if he saw an OCer, he would approach him, and get the gun from the OCer and run the serial numbers.

A few things here that could open himself up to a lawsuit...

1) If he demands the firearm, and the OCer does not consent, and the officer has no RAS, but he takes the firearm anyway

2) He runs the serial number without any RAS that that firearm is stolen (was they a report of a missing make/model and that OCer is carrying the same make/model?).

You could be saving your brother some money and his job by informing him of things such as these.
i will ask him to clarify, but i still feel that if it makes life easier...just comply...agian just my opinion thats all not trying to piss any one off, belive me iam for carrying just be smart and safe thats all.

conservative85

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:
My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law.

Welcome!

I too own a Glock, but it's a Glock 23. Anyway, just so you know, there is no law that says you can OC. There is just no law that says you can't OC. Laws are usually made to prevent people from doing certain things.

There is alot to read here, but before you decide to OC, make sure you read the topic WASH, RINSE, REPEAT until you have memorized the important information is has to offer. I realize having a relative who is a LEO will probably help you in that you won't get hassled as much, or at all, but just remeber to cover you a$$. Most OCer's have not had any issues with LEO's, but some have been charged with crimes because the LEO's either don't realize OC is legal, or they just simply don't like it.
Well technically there is legislation allowing for open carry, even concealed carry if you want my opinion. It is called the 2nd, and the Mi A.1 S.6 I know you know this just thought I'd point it out for our new bro.
:celebrate

Glock 19

imported post

1) If he demands the firearm,

OK T Vance he would not demand the firearm as you said..he would ask ask if the oc'er has his regis./cpl (like he told me yesterday, everyone forgets their wallet from time to time) so he would ask to run the numbers to make sure everything is good, if everything chks out have a good day..wouldn't that be easier than being stubborn about it, maybe i' am wrong if i'am so be it, its just my opinion.

if on turkey-day i can get him to post on here with me and give his thoughts will you"listen" to what he has too say...

conservative85

imported post

Welcome to the site, and to OC.

Don't take our legal corrections of LEO's actions personal we just want all to know that we are citizens first, residents second, and we are innocent till proven otherwise, it is backed up by Constitutional law. Remember the Constitution no matter what a LEO tells you is there to "PROTECT US FROM THEM, THEY ARE THE VERY PEOPLE THE CONSTITUTION IS THERE TO PROTECT"