• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open carry web site

T Vance

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
i will ask him to clarify, but i still feel that if it makes life easier...just comply...agian just my opinion thats all not trying to piss any one off, belive me iam for carrying just be smart and safe thats all.

Don't worry, you're not pissing anyone off. It might make life easier for some? I've had a personal experience where I "cooperated" with the LEO's because I knew I wasn't breaking any laws. A few days later, found out I was being charged with a crime. This is the reason I choose not to "cooperate".

I share my story so others can see what happens if you are polite and cooperative at times. Look at Kimberguy's example of what happened today. He refused ID, and was slapped with a littering fine. Would they have done that anyway? Will may never know. One thing we do know is that the JPD knows that OC is legal, they have detained Kimberguy 6 times prior to this, yet they still send 3 officers to investigate him (even when they know who he is, and that he is not a criminal).

So if you choose to provide CPL, go for it. I'm not here to judge how you decide to handle yoor encounters. Carry on my friend!

Glock 19

imported post

(My brother is a LEO in the area, and don't think he knows about the OC law. thoughts i )

I also have another Bro LEO in kazoo/BC area dont ask what dept. havent talked to him in about 14 yrs. he's a "barney fife"

Glock 19

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:
i will ask him to clarify, but i still feel that if it makes life easier...just comply...agian just my opinion thats all not trying to piss any one off, belive me iam for carrying just be smart and safe thats all.

Don't worry, you're not pissing anyone off. It might make life easier for some? I've had a personal experience where I "cooperated" with the LEO's because I knew I wasn't breaking any laws. A few days later, found out I was being charged with a crime. This is the reason I choose not to "cooperate".

I share my story so others can see what happens if you are polite and cooperative at times. Look at Kimberguy's example of what happened today. He refused ID, and was slapped with a littering fine. Would they have done that anyway? Will may never know. One thing we do know is that the JPD knows that OC is legal, they have detained Kimberguy 6 times prior to this, yet they still send 3 officers to investigate him (even when they know who he is, and that he is not a criminal).

So if you choose to provide CPL, go for it. I'm not here to judge how you decide to handle yoor encounters. Carry on my friend!
It's all good:) and i understand kimbers deal what JPD is doing is BS, they have a real problem and i said earlier they are trying to flex thier punie muscles.And i feel they are harrassing him for kicks. you also carry on my friend!!:D

Glock 19

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Welcome to the site, and to OC.

Don't take our legal corrections of LEO's actions personal we just want all to know that we are citizens first, residents second, and we are innocent till proven otherwise, it is backed up by Constitutional law. Remember the Constitution no matter what a LEO tells you is there to "PROTECT US FROM THEM, THEY ARE THE VERY PEOPLE THE CONSTITUTION IS THERE TO PROTECT"
None taken thats what this for to express our thoughts with out getting into fights;)

conservative85

imported post

No problem, I just know from personal experience that typing words on post can lack correct expression and or punctuation , leaving room for some to assume.

For instance I am old school, and capitol letters are not a form of screaming, and red letters don't mean anger, and I type what I mean literally, If I chose to be sarcastic or angry all will know this plainly.

Any hoo on the LEO thing as far as cooperating I did that before and was lucky, but even I as a former LEO I knew better. This is a trap to get you to be comfortable, and "talk", it can be all down hill after that. The burden of proof is on the Govt.(i.e. cops, lawyers, judges) We have been so indoctrinated to believe cops are good guys and on our side. It may be for small children, and at one time it may have been a organization to protect and serve, but it has become to "push and shove" (IMHO)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Glock 19 wrote:

Spoken like a true sheep. What's wrong with obeying the POLICE since they are there to help you. Please! Don't answer or comply because we a FREE, but less free when we kow tow to illegal abuses of power.

Think real hard before you respond to this post. Also for everyone's benefit I offer this.

The Information below is from a Slide Show presented to LEO’s titled.
TERRY STOPS & OPEN CARRY--PREPARING OFFICERS TO SAFELY & LEGALLY CONFRONT CITIZENS
Presenters:
Audrey Forbush, LEAF Legal Advisor, Plunkett Cooney
Gene King, LEAF Coordinator, Michigan Municipal League

The U.S. Supreme Court in 2000 ruled that an anonymous tip that a person is carrying a gun is not sufficient to justify a police officer's stop and frisk of that person, even where descriptive detail regarding the subject has been corroborated. 6 Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266, 120 S. Ct. 1375, 146 L.Ed.2d 254 (2000).

An anonymous tip with a physical description and location that a person had a gun was not enough for reasonable suspicion, absent anything else to arouse the officer's suspicion. Pennsylvania v. D.M., U.S. 120 S. Ct. 203, 146 L.Ed.2d 953 (2000).

“Contact” is a face to face communication between an officer and a person under circumstances where the person is free to leave.

“Stop” is a temporary detention of a person for investigation which occurs when officers use their authority either to compel a person to halt, to remain in a certain place, or to perform some act. If a person reasonably believes that he is not free to leave the presence of the officer, a "stop" has occurred.

Champion
Reasonable suspicion entails more then inchoate or unparticularized suspicion or hunch but less than the level of suspicion required for probable cause.

6th Circuit
McCurdy v. Montgomery County, Ohio, 240 F.3d 512 (6th Cir.2001)
When an officer literally has no idea whether a presumptively law-abiding citizen has violated the law, the Fourth Amendment clearly commands that government let the individual be.

government may deprive its citizens of liberty when, and only when, it has a viable claim that an individual has committed a crime, and that claim is supported empirically by concrete and identifiable facts.

U.S. v Campbell, 486 F.3d 949 (2007)
Florida v. Royer, 460 U.S. 491, 497 (1983),

“Law enforcement officers do not violate the Fourth Amendment by merely approaching an individual on the street or in another public place,

by asking him if he is willing to answer some questions, by putting questions to him if the person is willing to listen, or by offering in evidence in a criminal prosecution his voluntary answers to such questions.”

The Subject:
need not answer any question put to him;
may decline to listen to the questions at all and may go on his way
may not be detained even momentarily without reasonable, objective grounds for doing so; and his refusal to listen or answer does not, without more, furnish those grounds.

U.S. Supreme Court
Houston v. Hill, 482 U.S. 451, 462, 107 S.Ct. 2502, 2510, 96 L.Ed.2d 398 (1986)

The First Amendment protects a significant amount of verbal criticism and challenge directed at police officers....

The freedom of individuals verbally to oppose or challenge police action without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state.

6th Circuit
Greene v Barber, 310 F.3d 899 (2002)
Government officials in general, and officers in particular, may not exercise their authority for personal motives, particularly in response

The law is well established that…"an act taken in retaliation for the exercise of a constitutionally protected right is actionable under § 1983 even if the act, when taken for a different reason, would have been proper."

“The charge of every citizen of a free state is to be ever vigilant of the government’s role as their servant and not allow it to become their master.” Brian Jeffs, 2008

Bailenforcer

imported post

Three cheers for your 17 year old son, smart kid. Make sure you praise him for adding a new and meaningful insight to your life. Now all we need is about 25 million more like him.

I have carried with a CCW for 32 years, and I am 100% for open carry. The more the better life will be. Imagine if Virgina tech had a few dozen people with guns that day... There wouldn't have been such a death toll, and most likely at least one dead, the shooter.

I make it a point to support open carry practitioners where I live.

Come on up to Petoskey and Charlevoix MI guys we need more open carry here.

Glock 19

imported post

Bailenforcer wrote:
Three cheers for your 17 year old son, smart kid. Make sure you praise him for adding a new and meaningful insight to your life. Now all we need is about 25 million more like him.

I have carried with a CCW for 32 years, and I am 100% for open carry. The more the better life will be. Imagine if Virgina tech had a few dozen people with guns that day... There wouldn't have been such a death toll, and most likely at least one dead, the shooter.

thanks for horray for the kid... sometimes he is smarter than me...little !@#$%

office888

imported post

Bailenforcer wrote:

I started open-carrying shortly after I turned 20.

Believe me, I hope the Michigan campus CEZ goes away. It makes me feel...amazingly unsafe. I'd prefer to go to college, knowing that I'm not a disarmed victim, just waiting to be become the target of a student that just wants to be a famous shooter.

-Richard-

conservative85

imported post

Your not dumb, nor is your 17 yr old smarter necessarily, but you are uninformed.

The sheep remark means that you may tend to listen to what you hear, or that just because some one is in the position of so called authority you tend to follow with out question.

Listen, if you believe that we are truly a free nation, & the people have certain unalienable rights read the Declaration of Independence. Then talk to your brother and have him join us at an event or a meet and greet.

eastmeyers

imported post

office888 wrote:
I started open-carrying shortly after I turned 20.

Believe me, I hope the Michigan campus CEZ goes away. It makes me feel...amazingly unsafe. I'd prefer to go to college, knowing that I'm not a disarmed victim, just waiting to be become the target of a student that just wants to be a famous shooter.

-Richard-

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/34320.html

PLEASE HELP

God Bless

Bailenforcer

imported post

I hope we have carry in all colleges the facts support it. We only hear about the Virginia tech stupidity, and not about the other college incidents just like that one where armed students stopped a rampage. It took a 357 and 9MM to end a Student from India on a shooting rampage and CNN lied and claimed the students only tackled him. It was their guns that stopped the ignorance jacka$$ from India from having a huge death toll.

You might be surprised at how many carry in a college. Many people don't have restricted CCW/CPL's.

Bailenforcer

imported post

Venator wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:

Spoken like a true sheep. What's wrong with obeying the POLICE since they are there to help you. Please! Don't answer or comply because we a FREE, but less free when we kow tow to illegal abuses of power.

Think real hard before you respond to this post. Also for everyone's benefit I offer this.

The Information below is from a Slide Show presented to LEO’s titled.
TERRY STOPS & OPEN CARRY--PREPARING OFFICERS TO SAFELY & LEGALLY CONFRONT CITIZENS
Presenters:
Audrey Forbush, LEAF Legal Advisor, Plunkett Cooney
Gene King, LEAF Coordinator, Michigan Municipal League

The U.S. Supreme Court in 2000 ruled that an anonymous tip that a person is carrying a gun is not sufficient to justify a police officer's stop and frisk of that person, even where descriptive detail regarding the subject has been corroborated. 6 Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266, 120 S. Ct. 1375, 146 L.Ed.2d 254 (2000).

An anonymous tip with a physical description and location that a person had a gun was not enough for reasonable suspicion, absent anything else to arouse the officer's suspicion. Pennsylvania v. D.M., U.S. 120 S. Ct. 203, 146 L.Ed.2d 953 (2000).

“Contact” is a face to face communication between an officer and a person under circumstances where the person is free to leave.

“Stop” is a temporary detention of a person for investigation which occurs when officers use their authority either to compel a person to halt, to remain in a certain place, or to perform some act. If a person reasonably believes that he is not free to leave the presence of the officer, a "stop" has occurred.

Champion
Reasonable suspicion entails more then inchoate or unparticularized suspicion or hunch but less than the level of suspicion required for probable cause.

6th Circuit
McCurdy v. Montgomery County, Ohio, 240 F.3d 512 (6th Cir.2001)
When an officer literally has no idea whether a presumptively law-abiding citizen has violated the law, the Fourth Amendment clearly commands that government let the individual be.

government may deprive its citizens of liberty when, and only when, it has a viable claim that an individual has committed a crime, and that claim is supported empirically by concrete and identifiable facts.

“Law enforcement officers do not violate the Fourth Amendment by merely approaching an individual on the street or in another public place,

by asking him if he is willing to answer some questions, by putting questions to him if the person is willing to listen, or by offering in evidence in a criminal prosecution his voluntary answers to such questions.”

The Subject:
need not answer any question put to him;
may decline to listen to the questions at all and may go on his way
may not be detained even momentarily without reasonable, objective grounds for doing so; and his refusal to listen or answer does not, without more, furnish those grounds.

U.S. Supreme Court
Houston v. Hill, 482 U.S. 451, 462, 107 S.Ct. 2502, 2510, 96 L.Ed.2d 398 (1986)

The First Amendment protects a significant amount of verbal criticism and challenge directed at police officers....

The freedom of individuals verbally to oppose or challenge police action without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state.

6th Circuit
Greene v Barber, 310 F.3d 899 (2002)
Government officials in general, and officers in particular, may not exercise their authority for personal motives, particularly in response

The law is well established that…"an act taken in retaliation for the exercise of a constitutionally protected right is actionable under § 1983 even if the act, when taken for a different reason, would have been proper."

“The charge of every citizen of a free state is to be ever vigilant of the government’s role as their servant and not allow it to become their master.” Brian Jeffs, 2008

Not all cops are here to help. We had a State Police Officer up here who was RAPING women by the threat of jail or traffic tickets and after a few years finally got busted. I had a run in with him and knew he was a bad seed the second I met him. His bullsh*t traffic ticket he wrote on a friends kid I was taking night driving for his drivers license requirement was a travesty. Some of us who work on that side of the Law know and are honest. There are LE's who have a power fetish, let's be honest and say so. Honesty will create far less stress for everyone.
Being confrontational with an officer just to be so, is dumb, but the proper attitude, with respect and standing for one's rights never was seen as a threat to me or anyone who has had to deal with people in our chosen profession. A Police Officer is a public servant not a tin horn dictator. Caution is demanded, but hostility is not warranted.

I wonder how Bart likes prison life.... Oh the ticket was tore up by his commanding officer and never went to court. I have it framed today still.

Bronson

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
he would ask ask if the oc'er has his regis./cpl so he would ask to run the numbers to make sure everything is good,
We were never required to have our"safety inspection" cards with us and now that the "safety inspection" has been dropped you don't even get a registration card, just a copy ofthe form for your files, so there is NO registrationto be carried.

Please ask your brother what his reasonable articulable suspicion would be for removing the property and identification froma person who is NOT breakingthe law. If carrying a firearm is legal (which it is) the presence of a firearm in and of itself offers no legal grounds for detaining someone and running their information. Officers CANNOT just ask for your ID and run it. They MUST have a reasonable suspicion that you are commiting, have commited, or are about to commit a crime.

Would you also be ok with being randomly pulled over to "make sure everything is good" with your car registration? How about if the police just came into your house every so often just to "make sure everything is good?" Would your brother also participate in these illegal activities?

You might also want to inform him that the Michigan State Police has a place on their website where citizens can report abuses to the Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN). Here it is http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_1878_8311-16246--,00.html He could save himself a lot of potential hassle if hejust leaves law abiding people alone.

Bronson

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:
he would ask ask if the oc'er has his regis./cpl so he would ask to run the numbers to make sure everything is good,
We were never required to have our"safety inspection" cards with us and now that the "safety inspection" has been dropped you don't even get a registration card, just a copy ofthe form for your files, so there is NO registrationto be carried.

SNIP
The sales record must be carried for 30 days beginning on the day of purchase but after that it's not required per 28.422a (3).

Glock 19

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:

Please ask your brother what his reasonable articulable suspicion would be for removing the property and identification froma person who is NOT breakingthe law. If carrying a firearm is legal (which it is) the presence of a firearm in and of itself offers no legal grounds for detaining someone and running their information. Officers CANNOT just ask for your ID and run it. They MUST have a reasonable suspicion that you are commiting, have commited, or are about to commit a crime.

Would you also be ok with being randomly pulled over to "make sure everything is good" with your car registration? How about if the police just came into your house every so often just to "make sure everything is good?" Would your brother also participate in these illegal activities?

You might also want to inform him that the Michigan State Police has a place on their website where citizens can report abuses to the Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN). Here it is http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_1878_8311-16246--,00.html He could save himself a lot of potential hassle if hejust leaves law abiding people alone.

Bronson
Point taken and I will sit down with him agian for more of his thoughts. Just too let this fine group of law abiding citizens know, My LEO Bro is not a "TJ Hooker" or "Barney Fife" for the record...he has been cited for saving lives a few times, been on drug teams, started a dive rescue team. A Det. and now a RD Sgt. I have the up most respect for him and i will always have his back..even when i think he is wrong and or hit his head.:banghead: Agian point well taken and i will talk with him more:)

T Vance

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
Point taken and I will sit down with him agian for more of his thoughts. Just too let this fine group of law abiding citizens know, My LEO Bro is not a "TJ Hooker" or "Barney Fife" for the record...he has been cited for saving lives a few times, been on drug teams, started a dive rescue team. A Det. and now a RD Sgt. I have the up most respect for him and i will always have his back..even when i think he is wrong and or hit his head.:banghead: Agian point well taken and i will talk with him more:)

That is good to hear! Please don't think that we are here to "cop bash" (though I have seen a few people do it). It is mostly pointed out about the "few bad apples that ruin the barrel".

The reason it may seem like a lot of bashing goes on, is because other than having to deal with businesses not liking people OC, cops are about the only other thing in our way when we OC while trying to mind our own business. So when officers that stop and treat people like we are criminals (take most of Kimberguy's encounters for example) that seems to get more time on here than the cops that were cool and either never said anything, or kept it at a minimum with the interaction.

Glock 19

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:

That is good to hear! Please don't think that we are here to "cop bash" (though I have seen a few people do it). It is mostly pointed out about the "few bad apples that ruin the barrel".

The reason it may seem like a lot of bashing goes on, is because other than having to deal with businesses not liking people OC, cops are about the only other thing in our way when we OC while trying to mind our own business. So when officers that stop and treat people like we are criminals (take most of Kimberguy's encounters for example) that seems to get more time on here than the cops that were cool and either never said anything, or kept it at a minimum with the interaction.
It's all good I am learning a lot here and being educated thanks..