• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying other accessories with your gun

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

protector84 wrote:
Homeowner: "Please come quickly. Someone is breaking into my house. My wife and kids are scared."

911: "Are you sure? All officers are really busy."

[glass breaking in background]

Homeowner: "Come quickly. He is climbing into our house through the kitchen window."

911: "Sir, could you speak up a little louder? I can barely hear you."

Homeowner: "He's in my house. He is going to hurt us! Help!"

911: "Sir, you need to not resist. Just give the intruder whatever he needs."

Homeowner: "Ok. I'll give him just what he needs."

Click-clack. BANG!

911: "I heard shots fired. Is everything ok?"

Homeowner: "Everything is fine. I gave the bad guy exactly what he needed."

911: "Well, check to make sure he is dead."

Homeowner: "Ok. I will."

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Homeowner: "Yep. He's dead now."

[presses red "easy" button]

Electronic voice: THAT WAS EASY!

BWAAAHAHAAAAHAHAA!

BBR-14

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Homeowner: "Please come quickly. Someone is breaking into my house. My wife and kids are scared."

911: "Are you sure? All officers are really busy."

[glass breaking in background]

Homeowner: "Come quickly. He is climbing into our house through the kitchen window."

911: "Sir, could you speak up a little louder? I can barely hear you."

Homeowner: "He's in my house. He is going to hurt us! Help!"

911: "Sir, you need to not resist. Just give the intruder whatever he needs."

Homeowner: "Ok. I'll give him just what he needs."

Click-clack. BANG!

911: "I heard shots fired. Is everything ok?"

Homeowner: "Everything is fine. I gave the bad guy exactly what he needed."

911: "Well, check to make sure he is dead."

Homeowner: "Ok. I will."

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Homeowner: "Yep. He's dead now."

[presses red "easy" button]

Electronic voice: THAT WAS EASY!
ROTFL Now that's funny stuff!! :lol:

jay75009

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:
i have my pistol. holster. 2 spare mags. scorpion light. cell and a nylon pouch with 2 latex gloves inside..........*incase i come into contact with blood*. and a 16" ASB baton in a holster under my pants on my boot...............any more than that i just look plain ole silly.
Presume you mean ASP baton, rather than ASB which is a rather unsatisfactory material for a baton.

What is your take on the legality of non-LEO carrying a concealed baton? Such does not appear to be covered under the listed exceptions of Title 25, Chapter 25 (25 M.R.S.A. 2001A) of Maine statutes.

Yata hey
yeah i meant ASP haha having a big typo day today. and my baton is my non-leathal method of self defense. used in situations where self defense is warranted by lethal force is not. It was actually given to me by an LEO when i was 18. Never have come across a LEO that has a problem with it. guess they figure a BG with a broken wrist is better than a BG with a large crator in his forhead.

zack991

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Why don't you get a "Concealed-Carry" Badge to go with that cute outfit? If you're not a cop, why do you want to look like one?
This and it is felony if they charge you with impersonating a cop. As for the law for ohio
It can get you into a mess of problems even if your not intending too. It is the same for many other states. If you do use the belt do not be surprised if you get hassled for it.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.51
(E) No person shall commit a felony while impersonating a peace officer, a private police officer, a federal law enforcement officer, an officer, agent, or employee of the state, or investigator of the bureau of criminal identification and investigation.
(F) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under division (B) of this section that the impersonation of the peace officer, private police officer, or investigator of the bureau of criminal identification and investigation was for a lawful purpose.
(G) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. Whoever violates division (C) or (D) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the purpose of a violation of division (D) of this section is to commit or facilitate the commission of a felony, a violation of division (D) is a felony of the fourth degree. Whoever violates division (E) of this section is guilty of a felony of the third degree.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:
i have my pistol. holster. 2 spare mags. scorpion light. cell and a nylon pouch with 2 latex gloves inside..........*incase i come into contact with blood*. and a 16" ASB baton in a holster under my pants on my boot...............any more than that i just look plain ole silly.
Presume you mean ASP baton, rather than ASB which is a rather unsatisfactory material for a baton.

What is your take on the legality of non-LEO carrying a concealed baton? Such does not appear to be covered under the listed exceptions of Title 25, Chapter 25 (25 M.R.S.A. 2001A) of Maine statutes.

Yata hey
yeah i meant ASP haha having a big typo day today. and my baton is my non-leathal method of self defense. used in situations where self defense is warranted by lethal force is not. It was actually given to me by an LEO when i was 18. Never have come across a LEO that has a problem with it. guess they figure a BG with a broken wrist is better than a BG with a large crator in his forhead.
Given to you when you were USMC - nice.

Still the question of whether baton is legal in Maine. Can you provide answer/cite?

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

Yata hey
Given to you when you were USMC - nice.

Still the question of whether baton is legal in Maine. Can you provide answer/cite?

Yata hey
i cannot cite whether it is "legal" or not, i cannot find any laws saying it isnt however. i guess its up to the LEO that questions it. like i said i've been stopped many times with it and have never had a problem. most of the Maine laws cite dirks, steletto's , slapsticks, numchucks and things like that but i cannot find one that say anything about baton, however it may fall under "items used in the assault or defense of a person". But the fire/LEO shop in scarborough sells them to anyone over 18 and says they are not........ill ask the Police Chief here and see.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Title 25, Chapter 25 (25 M.R.S.A. 2001A) jay75009 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
i cannot cite whether it is "legal" or not, i cannot find any laws saying it isnt however. i guess its up to the LEO that questions it. like i said i've been stopped many times with it and have never had a problem. most of the Maine laws cite dirks, steletto's , slapsticks, numchucks and things like that but i cannot find one that say anything about baton, however it may fall under "items used in the assault or defense of a person". But the fire/LEO shop in scarborough sells them to anyone over 18 and says they are not........ill ask the Police Chief here and see.
Reread the cited reference, it is quite clear. Is a baton not an item used in the assault or defense of a person? Q.E.D. - they are not legal.

Whether they are sold or not is not the question. Switch blade knives and extra length blades are sold legally, but carrying them is illegal. Knowing the law is paramount - asking retail clerks and LE for legal opinions is not well advised - you do so at your own risk.

Yata hey

lil_freak_66

imported post

zack991 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Why don't you get a "Concealed-Carry" Badge to go with that cute outfit? If you're not a cop, why do you want to look like one?
This and it is felony if they charge you with impersonating a cop. As for the law for ohio
It can get you into a mess of problems even if your not intending too. It is the same for many other states. If you do use the belt do not be surprised if you get hassled for it.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.51
(E) No person shall commit a felony while impersonating a peace officer, a private police officer, a federal law enforcement officer, an officer, agent, or employee of the state, or investigator of the bureau of criminal identification and investigation.
(F) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under division (B) of this section that the impersonation of the peace officer, private police officer, or investigator of the bureau of criminal identification and investigation was for a lawful purpose.
(G) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. Whoever violates division (C) or (D) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the purpose of a violation of division (D) of this section is to commit or facilitate the commission of a felony, a violation of division (D) is a felony of the fourth degree. Whoever violates division (E) of this section is guilty of a felony of the third degree.

a concealed carry badge is not illegal at all,as it says concealed pistol license or something similar,and due to the wording is NOT considered a fake police badge legally.

as long as you dont tell people your a cop,then your all legal.

plus if somebody sees a badge,they're going to assume LEO and not harass you,and LEO's responding to a MWAG that sees it is def. going to think even harder about shooting you(not that he'd be legally justified in shooting a law abiding citizen anyways...but we know that some cops arent on the level sadly)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
a concealed carry badge is not illegal at all,as it says concealed pistol license or something similar,and due to the wording is NOT considered a fake police badge legally.

plus if somebody sees a badge,they're going to assume LEO and not harass you,and LEO's responding to a MWAG that sees it is def. going to think even harder about shooting you(not that he'd be legally justified in shooting a law abiding citizen anyways...but we know that some cops arent on the level sadly)
A blanket statement like this is tenuous at best - this thread is not specific to any one state - I do not know the laws of all 50 states + D.C. to be able to make such a statement.

That notwithstanding, we prefer to NOT give the impression that we are LEOs, even if we are simply allowing people to falsely assume it.

The desired goal is that we be recognized as good and honest citizens going through life responsibly. To suggest that a charade be allowed for our own benefit is injurious to the promotion of our rights - IMO.

Yata hey

simmonsjoe

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

A blanket statement like this is tenuous at best - this thread is not specific to any one state - I do not know the laws of all 50 states + D.C. to be able to make such a statement.

That notwithstanding, we prefer to NOT give the impression that we are LEOs, even if we are simply allowing people to falsely assume it.

The desired goal is that we be recognized as good and honest citizens going through life responsibly. To suggest that a charade be allowed for our own benefit is injurious to the promotion of our rights - IMO.

Yata hey
+1

Sonora Rebel

imported post

johnny0911 wrote:
Here is a question for ya, I have what looks like a duty belt with handcuffs, flashlight, mace, gun, etc. What type of response do you think I would get if I wore that in public?

Johnny
You serious? You'd look like a goof. Lose the handcuffs, mace 'n flashlight. You're not a cop.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

You've contradicted what you wrote initially. For the love of God... Do NOT wear one of those stupid CCW badges. It screams goof cop-wanna-be to the whole world.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

4angrybadgers wrote:
Also, why bother trying to hide your gun if you're going to then publicly announce its presence with a CCW "badge"? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of concealed carry?
Because in many (or most?) states with "CCW" shall-issue permits, the permit refers to a concealable firearm, not that it absolutely must be concealed at all times. Many open carry under their "CCW" permits.

Unless the issuing authority handed out numbered badges in addition to permits, I wouldn't wear one with my openly carried firearm. But knowing government, if they overcharge for printing a piece of paper and laminating it (if that), they would charge at least a hundred dollars per $20+$15 engraving fee badge.

thinbluelines&w40ve

imported post

If ya want to be a cop, apply, go through the steps, graduate the academy, and be an LEO. Hell we need more pro 2A LEO's out there anyway. I get out of the Corps in august and I'm definately going back to the Sheriff's dept. not because i want get get my "power" back, but because i want to educate my fellow LEO's on the rights of the people. OORAH

4angrybadgers

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
4angrybadgers wrote:
Also, why bother trying to hide your gun if you're going to then publicly announce its presence with a CCW "badge"? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of concealed carry?
Because in many (or most?) states with "CCW" shall-issue permits, the permit refers to a concealable firearm, not that it absolutely must be concealed at all times. Many open carry under their "CCW" permits.

Unless the issuing authority handed out numbered badges in addition to permits, I wouldn't wear one with my openly carried firearm. But knowing government, if they overcharge for printing a piece of paper and laminating it (if that), they would charge at least a hundred dollars per $20+$15 engraving fee badge.
Point taken. I should've remembered that, considering that's the way my own state (MS) works. :banghead:

But my objection still does stand. If you're OCing (whether under a permit, or not), the gun on your hip is probably going to catch a lot more attention than a fake badge. I wouldn't count on just a fake badge protecting you. If you're CCing and you have the badge, then it's plain retarded.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I swear.... these 'badges' are maddening. Look... all they hype attached to these phoney badges is advertising. Somebody'd tryin' to make a buck. A badge by it's very presence conveys authority in some form. Badge of office. CCW holder have no such authority. Cops... if anything will get pissed at some 'badge wearin' goof' who thinks he's 'special'.

Psychologically... these are marketed upon the premise of guilt.'I have a gun... soI must need a badge. Badge w/Gun: Good. Gun no Badge: Bad I have a concealed gun... I am 'special'. I need to advertise how special I am. I am self concious of carrying this concealed gun. People will think me a robber. I must wear a badge to prove otherwise. '

'I'll carry my badge in a badge case with my CCW permit. I will 'flash' this and impress people 'cause I am a latent 'Secret Sam' andwill create that imageto impress the girls. I desperately need attention... I really need to get laid before I'm 30 and this will do it.' 'I WANT A WOMAN!' :cry:

Then... there'sthe lime green CCW Shooters Safety Sash... Just the thing! :banghead:

DonovanM

imported post

johnny0911 wrote:
Here is a question for ya, I have what looks like a duty belt with handcuffs, flashlight, mace, gun, etc. What type of response do you think I would get if I wore that in public?

Johnny
Whatever it may be, it is not beneficial to the effort behind presenting armed citizens as reasonable people.

In addition, carrying handcuffs is only conducive to being an attention whoring cop wannabe. In the extremely unlikely event a "citizen's arrest" could possibly be necessary, there is no reason you should step foot anywhere near the suspect, nor allow him, without threat of violence, the range of motion necessary to put them on himself.

Leave it to the pros, trol- er, kid.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

DonovanM wrote:
johnny0911 wrote:

Johnny
Whatever it may be, it is not beneficial to the effort behind presenting armed citizens as reasonable people.

In addition, carrying handcuffs is only conducive to being an attention whoring cop wannabe. In the extremely unlikely event a "citizen's arrest" could possibly be necessary, there is no reason you should step foot anywhere near the suspect, nor allow him, without threat of violence, the range of motion necessary to put them on himself.

Leave it to the pros, trol- er, kid.
Nothing says you have to keep handcuffs visible, in an obvious cuff case, or even have metal cuffs instead of zip cuffs. Also, if there are witnesses (who may or may not have jobs where they routinely cuff people, not necessarily carrying them off duty), they might want to/feel safer piling on top of the BG when you have him at gunpoint to restrain him.

Otherwise, the situation will not be "code 4" and arriving units will assume you are a hostage taker, point their guns at you, order you to drop your gun, and prone out.

Capn Camo

imported post

Its amazing at the posters here who have no response except PERSONAL ATTCKS and LIBEL.

Two spare mags, 10 and 12, CCI buckshot loads for minor criminals and poisonous snakes, 40 spare ball rounds in a pouch (about 70 rounds total), tape recorder, knife thats sharp as a razor, tac light that would blind a man across the street, enough cash to prove I dont need to shoplift, occasionally apair of nuchucks in my boots (that ones a bit uncomfortable) deep concealed holster, pointed metal ink pen and keys, AND POCKET CONSTITUTION with digest of State firearms laws.

F-k what anyone else thinks, if its not illegal, ITS YOUR POSSESSION and carry it wherever you want. What if the PD needs a spare set of cuffs?