• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona Restaurant/Bar Carry

PavePusher

imported post

I don't know if this got posted here yet or not, I didn't see it anywhere. (Which probably just means I missed it...:?)

http://www.examiner.com/x-25100-Phoenix-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m11d6-Restaurant-concealed-carry-law-turns-one-month-old

As usual, the flood of reports of shootings at bars and restaurants is massively... underwhelming. In fact, totally absent. Go figure.

In the comments section is a tip to a list of pro- and anti- carry restaurants. I have no affiliation with the list site, or any of the establishments on the list.

http://thewilderness.com/ccw-friendly-az-eateries

Edit: I also can not vouch for the accuracy of the listing, but it looks like they are trying to keep it current. Let them know if you have new/additional information.

Edit 2: I asked if they could get the lists arranged alphabetically, trying to pinpoint an establishment is a bit time-consumming as it now stands.

PavePusher

imported post

There is also a link to a flyer to hand out to Anti-CWP establishments. It looks very good to me except for one line. I just sent to author an e-mail suggesting that he make a minor change, but I will happily use it as is for the time being.

http://store.thewilderness.com/Media/CCW_Flyer.pdf

Email:

"I have just seen your flyer and would like to thank you for your time and effort involved with it. I intend to use it here in Tucson, although I may not actually need to employ it often, thankfully.

Having said that, I do have one minor problem with the content, specifically were it says: "May be an Honorably Retired Police Officer". I have the greatest respect for the vast majority of Law Enforcement, both serving and retired, but I believe that status has little, if anything, to do with the reliability of a person with an Arizona (or any other state's) CWP. Many permit holders are active duty or retired Military, a group also notable for their service, training and legality. (For the record, I am one of them, USAF AD at Davis-Monthan AFB.) However, the great majority of CWP/CCW holders are simply good, honest, law-abiding citizens who are just as reliable and trustworthy as the afore-mentioned groups. And, as has been noted in a number of statistical compilations, they are significantly less likely to break laws than the public at large.

I would like to suggest that you consider changing that line to reflect the above and thus place all permit holders on an equal footing.

Thanks you for your time and consideration, and thank you again for your efforts."

protector84

imported post

I've been in dozens of restaurants and bars since the law was passed and I have yet to see even one establishment that has the "No Firearms Allowed" sign posted next to the liquor license. Most of them have the signs on the front entrances but not one actually next to the license. Since I do have a CCW this means that by law I can carry concealed in that establishment as long as I am not consuming alcohol. Since the sign is not properly posted, it does not become law but simply reflects the establishment's "rules." Basically, this means that if you get caught carrying, they can ask you to leave or remove the firearm from your person but you could not go to jail unless you commit some other offense.

sigsog7

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I've been in dozens of restaurants and bars since the law was passed and I have yet to see even one establishment that has the "No Firearms Allowed" sign posted next to the liquor license. Most of them have the signs on the front entrances but not one actually next to the license. Since I do have a CCW this means that by law I can carry concealed in that establishment as long as I am not consuming alcohol. Since the sign is not properly posted, it does not become law but simply reflects the establishment's "rules." Basically, this means that if you get caught carrying, they can ask you to leave or remove the firearm from your person but you could not go to jail unless you commit some other offense.

Pizza Hut does. At least the one in Tucson at Golf Links and Harrison. I was in there the other day and was sorely disappointed at the signs on the front door, and even more so when I saw the sign properly posted next to the liquor license.

GWbiker

imported post

protector84 wrote:

If I see a gunbuster sign posted anywhere in a Restaurant, I will not patronize that business. If enough of us boycott those eateries, gunbuster signs will come down.
Within the past several weeks two Tucson restaurants on Speedway removed their signs.

mFonz77

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
protector84 wrote:

If I see a gunbuster sign posted anywhere in a Restaurant, I will not patronize that business. If enough of us boycott those eateries, gunbuster signs will come down.
Within the past several weeks two Tucson restaurants on Speedway removed their signs.
Likewise.

I am trying to get a searchable database up at ArizonaCarry.org. However, due to that pesky little thing called a "day job" it is taking me longer than expected. Once it's up, however, anyone can make entries.

I also have a friend who is a GIS (map and geolocation) expert, so it would be cool to tie in a map application showing known "CCW friendly" restaurants.

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

What is crazy is I just looked up a list of locations that won't allow it in AZ in some cities at least. I guess they are privately owned even though some are nationwide chains. Some on the list are also up here in Idaho and have no issues with OC. Strange how that is, I would think that if it is a franchise that they still have a corporation to answer to. Try that angle and if no positive response is heard, then by all means don't frequent the place. We recently made business sized cards up here saying" No Guns = No Money" and on the back list what is required to own and carry a gun in Idaho and ask what do they know about their other customers? makes them think a little hopefully. Give it a try.

RockyAcres

imported post

I, too, have cards made up. One side says:

NoGuns-NoMoney.jpg

The other side says:

NoLaw-Abidingcriminals.jpg

Thoreau

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
Likewise.

I am trying to get a searchable database up at ArizonaCarry.org. However, due to that pesky little thing called a "day job" it is taking me longer than expected. Once it's up, however, anyone can make entries.

I also have a friend who is a GIS (map and geolocation) expert, so it would be cool to tie in a map application showing known "CCW friendly" restaurants.
You might want to check your forum code as it's trying to run ActiveX controls that a quick Google search would lead one to believe is a virus. (Even if it is valid, there's really no valid use/need for ActiveX to make a discussion forum operate.)

Edit: Retested from another system with multiple browsers, issue seems to be gone. =)

mFonz77

imported post

Thoreau wrote:
mFonz77 wrote:
Likewise.

You might want to check your forum code as it's trying to run ActiveX controls that a quick Google search would lead one to believe is a virus. (Even if it is valid, there's really no valid use/need for ActiveX to make a discussion forum operate.)

Edit: Retested from another system with multiple browsers, issue seems to be gone. =)
Excellent. You are the first to have ever seen that...hopefully transient or an environment issue. Here is a link to a wide variety of No Guns No Money cards:
http://www.arizonacarry.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25