• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KY Expo Center in Louisville

Window_Seat

imported post

Yes, I'm going, and the dates are 03/25/2010 - 03/27/2010! My question is this: Can I CCW there during the event? Does anyone have experience at this place whether LOC or CCW? I would like to refrain from emailing the management of the expo, or the show for fear of saying "You know, that's a bad idea, and we're going to say..." I tried to pull up a show FAQ, but their FAQ feature on their site doesn't work. I managed to find a policy page of the Expo center, and there is no mention of FAs. It seems to me that KY is a relatively GOF place for a LAGO to visit, but I still have to be sure.

Erik.

langzaiguy

imported post

Well I guess I'd start first in figuring out if the Expo center is public property or not--if it is, there's a good chance CC would be outlawed. If it's private property--who cares.

Window_Seat

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Well I guess I'd start first in figuring out if the Expo center is public property or not--if it is, there's a good chance CC would be outlawed. If it's private property--who cares.
Even if it's public, CC as long as you have a permit from another state would not be outlawed, or would it? Guess I better refer back to the pamphlet...:X

Erik.

Statesman

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Window_Seat wrote:
Yes, I'm going, and the dates are 03/25/2010 - 03/27/2010! My question is this: Can I CCW there during the event? Does anyone have experience at this place whether LOC or CCW? I would like to refrain from emailing the management of the expo, or the show for fear of saying "You know, that's a bad idea, and we're going to say..." I tried to pull up a show FAQ, but their FAQ feature on their site doesn't work. I managed to find a policy page of the Expo center, and there is no mention of FAs. It seems to me that KY is a relatively GOF place for a LAGO to visit, but I still have to be sure.

Erik.
The Expo Center is owned by the Commonwealth of KY. The carrying of firearms, whether concealed or in the open, is legal in state buildings and on state property. There are a few exceptions such as prisons, jails, courtrooms, etc. Numerous gun shows are held on this property every year. I have OC'd and CC'd here may times. However, the lessee or manager of an event may wish to limit the carrying of firearms during their event, and may legally do so [please cite]. The lessee or manager of an event may deny entry or ask open carriers to leave. If the open carrier does not comply they may be cited for trespass. The lessee or manager may also post signs prohibiting CC. If you chose to ignore those signs no criminality can be attached. Should your CC firearm be discovered you could only be asked to leave just like with OC. So, the answer to your question is maybe. You won't be prohibited from CC, with the proper license, or OC by the Commonwealth of KY. You might be prohibited by the event operator.
If the Expo Center is owned by the Commonwealth of Kentucky, then how can the lessee deny entrance to OCers? Is there an exception to the law somewhere, or is someone at the Expo center making up rules without regard to state law?

Taurus145

imported post

Statesman wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Window_Seat wrote:

Erik.
The Expo Center is owned by the Commonwealth of KY. The carrying of firearms, whether concealed or in the open, is legal in state buildings and on state property. There are a few exceptions such as prisons, jails, courtrooms, etc. Numerous gun shows are held on this property every year. I have OC'd and CC'd here may times. However, the lessee or manager of an event may wish to limit the carrying of firearms during their event, and may legally do so [please cite]. The lessee or manager of an event may deny entry or ask open carriers to leave. If the open carrier does not comply they may be cited for trespass. The lessee or manager may also post signs prohibiting CC. If you chose to ignore those signs no criminality can be attached. Should your CC firearm be discovered you could only be asked to leave just like with OC. So, the answer to your question is maybe. You won't be prohibited from CC, with the proper license, or OC by the Commonwealth of KY. You might be prohibited by the event operator.
If the Expo Center is owned by the Commonwealth of Kentucky, then how can the lessee deny entrance to OCers? Is there an exception to the law somewhere, or is someone at the Expo center making up rules without regard to state law?
It's a gray area and may well get KY real estate law involved. If the event has leased the property by contract for the event, he may be viewed by the courts as having the same powers as the lessee of a property that houses a business he owns, such as a mall store. In that instance, the event promoter, manager, whatever can and MAY bar firearms in any way he chooses. It all depends on the contract. A lessee in KY has the same powers as the owner except for sale and those actions specifically prohibited by the lease agreement.

It sucks, but I would advise caution. Getting informed by the Expo Center manager's office before you go, preferably in writing, would be wise.

Statesman

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Statesman wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Window_Seat wrote:

Erik.
I don't have a cite. I answered the man's question using the best information I had at the time. I still believe it to be correct. If you would like to advise him differently, go ahead. I assume you will pay his lawyer bills and serve his jail sentence, too. When I give advice to someone planning to carry a gun in strange territory I don't give them my version of what I would like the law to be or how it may apply some day, but my understanding of how it is applied now in that jurisdiction. His question didn't lead me to believe he was coming here to test the system. He just wants to carry his gun in peace and not have any legal problems. If you want to put him on the cutting edge of civil rights advocacy go ahead. There are more and more people on this board who want to argue about everything. Our problems will not be solved by beating one another over the head due to some minor differences of opinion, spelling or grammar.
I didn't want to argue or beat anyone down here. I just wanted clarification on where you got your info.

Cottonbaler

imported post

I also would like to know. There are several AR15.com members who would like to carry at Dr. Rand Paul's Rally for Freedom on January 30th.

http://www.randpaul2010.com/2010/01/rand-rallying-republicans/

If it's up to the organizers then there will be no problem as we all know where Dr. Paul stands on the Second Amendment so the question is with the KY Expo Center management.

IMHO, it's probably legal since KY is a Gold Star OC state. Gun shows are held there all the time and in 2007 the NRA held their convention at the place.

How would we find out for certain that OC is allowed?