Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Westfield Mall in Carlsbad

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    Today my wife wanted to go shopping at Sears. The nearest Sears store is at the Westfield Mall in Carlsbad, on El Camino Real.

    Having been a store manager in that mall a few years ago, I knew that the security peoiple could get squirrely at times. I locked my Sig in a gun safe and locked it in the car.

    As my wife went to Sears, I stopped at the Mall Security office to inquire about their policy on Open Carry. The security officer at the desk said it was not allowed, but she would check with the Director of Security to make sure. While she was gone, I read the "Code of Conduct" poster on the wall and it indicated that firearms were prohibited.

    She returned and informed me that the Director was in an interview but would talk to me in about 15 minutes. I told her that I had read the poster on the wall and that was about all I needed to know. She also indicated the posters were on display in several locations in the mall. I gave her a brochure on open carry.

    I then went to Sears. When my wife and I exited Sears, we were met by a Carlsbad officer, who started to announce that he was going to do an "e" check. I turned so he could see my loaded magazines and empty holster and he said there wasno problem. He is aware of UOC and has no problem with it. As we got outside I saw his backup and he called in Code 4.

    Being a smart a$$, my wife told him, "I don't like guns, please arrest him." The LEO laughed and told her couldn't arrest me, as what I was doing was legal.

    After I left Westfield's property I loaded my holster.

  2. #2
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    yelohamr wrote:
    Being a smart a$$, my wife told him, "I don't like guns, please arrest him." The LEO laughed and told her couldn't arrest me, as what I was doing was legal.
    That's classic! Your wife must be quite a character.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    Today I sent an email to the Carlsbad Chief of Police. Below is a portion of what I sent.



    ...in my experience, I know that usually when a police department is contacted in regards to an encounter with a police officer, it is a complaint.

    My encounter with Officer Eric Prior was very positive. He was very professional and courteous and should be commended for his demeanor.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Riverside County, California, USA
    Posts
    353

    Post imported post

    yelohamr wrote:
    Today I sent an email to the Carlsbad Chief of Police. ¬*Below is a portion of what I sent.

    ¬*

    ...in my experience, I know that usually when a police department is contacted in regards to an encounter with a police officer, it is a complaint.

    My encounter with Officer Eric Prior¬* was very positive.¬* He was very professional and courteous and should be commended for his demeanor.
    Good job on following up. It is just as important if not more important to send an adaboy in contrast to the complaints they see all the time.

  5. #5
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    Odd. I would like to know who ratted you out for an empty holster. Could it have been a fellow open carrier?! Because that should be criminal.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Okay. So what the heck is an e-check?

  7. #7
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    Okay. So what the heck is an e-check?
    Its a reference to the California Penal Code section 12031 (e) which gives law enforcement the probable cause to inspect a weapon in order to determine whether a firearm is loaded.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    Okay. So what the heck is an e-check?
    Its a reference to the California Penal Code section 12031 (e) which gives law enforcement the probable cause to inspect a weapon in order to determine whether a firearm is loaded.
    Oh, okay, I thought it was a reference to some sort of electronic device or something.

    So I wonder if his holster was loaded. Loaded holsters are a threat to all humanity.

  9. #9
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Why was an officer present to E-check you? Did the mall call the PD on you... for asking questions at the reception desk?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    coolusername2007 wrote:
    Odd. I would like to know who ratted you out for an empty holster. Could it have been a fellow open carrier?! Because that should be criminal.
    It was probably the security director, as I had told them where I was going with my empty holster and the LEO was walking towards the entrance to Sears as I was leaving.

    Maybe the director was confused by all of the Penal Code sections in the brochure I gave her or she thought I could miracle my gun out of a locked safe inside a locked car into my holster.

    About 10 years ago I was interviewed for that director position and about 10 minutes into the interview, I was praying that I wouldn't be selected. My prayer was answered.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    On a side note, due to the economy, during the week the mall is so empty, you could probably fire a shot from one end of the mall to the other end and not hit anyone.

    I DON'T suggest that anyone test this theory.

  12. #12
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    yelohamr wrote:
    coolusername2007 wrote:
    Odd. I would like to know who ratted you out for an empty holster. Could it have been a fellow open carrier?! Because that should be criminal.
    It was probably the security director, as I had told them where I was going with my empty holster and the LEO was walking towards the entrance to Sears as I was leaving.

    Maybe the director was confused by all of the Penal Code sections in the brochure I gave her or she thought I could miracle my gun out of a locked safe inside a locked car into my holster.

    About 10 years ago I was interviewed for that director position and about 10 minutes into the interview, I was praying that I wouldn't be selected. My prayer was answered.
    Talk about a pretty nervous individual to call the police for an empty holster. Did you give them the educational brochure or just the PC brochure? Sounds like they really need the educational brochure.


    ETA: FYI...Westfield has previously proven their anti-gun policies.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Escondido, California, USA
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    "Oh, I don't have any problem with open carry and I know that if you are indeed OCing , you definitely know the law and are not a threat to society BUT I am still doing to come over to enforce a law that I don't have to enforce to apparently protect people I have no obligation to protect while violating your 4th amendment right. My oath means nothing and I am an insentient tool."

    It may have been a "positive" experience but these "Oh, I have no problem BUT..." guys are JUST LIKE the "I am pro-2A, BUT..." guys. They need to leave people the hell alone.


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    coolusername2007 wrote


    Talk about a pretty nervous individual to call the police for an empty holster. Did you give them the educational brochure or just the PC brochure? Sounds like they really need the educational brochure.


    ETA: FYI...Westfield has previously proven their anti-gun policies.
    I gave the educational one.

    Trying to educate some people is like trying teach a pig how to dance. Its a waste of time and annoying to the pig.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •