• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westfield Mall in Carlsbad

yelohamr

imported post

Today my wife wanted to go shopping at Sears. The nearest Sears store is at the Westfield Mall in Carlsbad, on El Camino Real.

Having been a store manager in that mall a few years ago, I knew that the security peoiple could get squirrely at times. I locked my Sig in a gun safe and locked it in the car.

As my wife went to Sears, I stopped at the Mall Security office to inquire about their policy on Open Carry. The security officer at the desk said it was not allowed, but she would check with the Director of Security to make sure. While she was gone, I read the "Code of Conduct" poster on the wall and it indicated that firearms were prohibited.

She returned and informed me that the Director was in an interview but would talk to me in about 15 minutes. I told her that I had read the poster on the wall and that was about all I needed to know. She also indicated the posters were on display in several locations in the mall. I gave her a brochure on open carry.

I then went to Sears. When my wife and I exited Sears, we were met by a Carlsbad officer, who started to announce that he was going to do an "e" check. I turned so he could see my loaded magazines and empty holster and he said there wasno problem. He is aware of UOC and has no problem with it. As we got outside I saw his backup and he called in Code 4.

Being a smart a$$, my wife told him, "I don't like guns, please arrest him." The LEO laughed and told her couldn't arrest me, as what I was doing was legal.

After I left Westfield's property I loaded my holster.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

yelohamr wrote:
Being a smart a$$, my wife told him, "I don't like guns, please arrest him." The LEO laughed and told her couldn't arrest me, as what I was doing was legal.
That's classic! Your wife must be quite a character.

yelohamr

imported post

Today I sent an email to the Carlsbad Chief of Police. Below is a portion of what I sent.

...in my experience, I know that usually when a police department is contacted in regards to an encounter with a police officer, it is a complaint.

My encounter with Officer Eric Prior was very positive. He was very professional and courteous and should be commended for his demeanor.

inbox485

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
Today I sent an email to the Carlsbad Chief of Police.  Below is a portion of what I sent.

...in my experience, I know that usually when a police department is contacted in regards to an encounter with a police officer, it is a complaint.

My encounter with Officer Eric Prior  was very positive.  He was very professional and courteous and should be commended for his demeanor.

Good job on following up. It is just as important if not more important to send an adaboy in contrast to the complaints they see all the time.

Tomahawk

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Okay. So what the heck is an e-check?
Its a reference to the California Penal Code section 12031 (e) which gives law enforcement the probable cause to inspect a weapon in order to determine whether a firearm is loaded.

Oh, okay, I thought it was a reference to some sort of electronic device or something.

So I wonder if his holster was loaded. Loaded holsters are a threat to all humanity.

IanB

imported post

Why was an officer present to E-check you? Did the mall call the PD on you... for asking questions at the reception desk?

yelohamr

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Odd. I would like to know who ratted you out for an empty holster. Could it have been a fellow open carrier?! Because that should be criminal. :cool:

It was probably the security director, as I had told them where I was going with my empty holster and the LEO was walking towards the entrance to Sears as I was leaving.

Maybe the director was confused by all of the Penal Code sections in the brochure I gave her or she thought I could miracle my gun out of a locked safe inside a locked car into my holster.

About 10 years ago I was interviewed for that director position and about 10 minutes into the interview, I was praying that I wouldn't be selected. My prayer was answered.

yelohamr

imported post

On a side note, due to the economy, during the week the mall is so empty, you could probably fire a shot from one end of the mall to the other end and not hit anyone.

I DON'T suggest that anyone test this theory.

coolusername2007

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
Odd. I would like to know who ratted you out for an empty holster. Could it have been a fellow open carrier?! Because that should be criminal. :cool:

It was probably the security director, as I had told them where I was going with my empty holster and the LEO was walking towards the entrance to Sears as I was leaving.

Maybe the director was confused by all of the Penal Code sections in the brochure I gave her or she thought I could miracle my gun out of a locked safe inside a locked car into my holster.

About 10 years ago I was interviewed for that director position and about 10 minutes into the interview, I was praying that I wouldn't be selected. My prayer was answered.

Talk about a pretty nervous individual to call the police for an empty holster. Did you give them the educational brochure or just the PC brochure? Sounds like they really need the educational brochure.

ETA: FYI...Westfield has previously proven their anti-gun policies.

pullnshoot25

imported post

"Oh, I don't have any problem with open carry and I know that if you are indeed OCing , you definitely know the law and are not a threat to society BUT I am still doing to come over to enforce a law that I don't have to enforce to apparently protect people I have no obligation to protect while violating your 4th amendment right. My oath means nothing and I am an insentient tool."

It may have been a "positive" experience but these "Oh, I have no problem BUT..." guys are JUST LIKE the "I am pro-2A, BUT..." guys. They need to leave people the hell alone.

yelohamr

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote

Talk about a pretty nervous individual to call the police for an empty holster. Did you give them the educational brochure or just the PC brochure? Sounds like they really need the educational brochure.

ETA: FYI...Westfield has previously proven their anti-gun policies.
I gave the educational one.

Trying to educate some people is like trying teach a pig how to dance. Its a waste of time and annoying to the pig.