• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry help me

sonny33

imported post

i need to no if u can open carry in oregon without a lic. because im moving there from utah and down here as long as there isnt one in the chamber u dont need a lic. is that how oregon is. thx

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In general, you can opencarry loaded firearms. However there are several cities (per premption) that can ban loaded firearms. However, if/when you get a Oregon permit, you can carry anywhere that is lawfully allowed, overriding the cities ban. Although you can always carryunloaded weapon openly.

Refer the the sticky on the Oregon site. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/923.html

IANAL

sonny33

imported post

if the gun is not loaded can u open carry without a lic like down here in utah. ok im moving to pendelton is there a ban there . cause im getting 2 differant stories. i need to no if u need a lic to open carry if the gun isnt loaded .thx

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here are the ordances for Umatilla county as well as Pendleton. I looked through and did not see any references to loaded or unloaded firearms. Being this is the case, then it would fall under Oregon law.

http://www.co.umatilla.or.us/code-ordinances.htm

http://www.pendleton.or.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7BC50D30A7-FB72-4D34-B898-16CC826C2744%7D&DE=%7BB24327ED-9E70-4590-8D92-91BC50F7AC66%7D

If you do find something pertaining to firearms, please post it here for everyone else.

Cremator75

imported post

And if you are in some of those cities that ban loaded OC without a license, they include a loaded magazine also. Just make sure you get your CHL ASAP and you'll be good all over.

Phssthpok

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
And if you are in some of those cities that ban loaded OC without a license, they include a loaded magazine also. Just make sure you get your CHL ASAP and you'll be good all over.

I'm not convinced as to the veracity of this claim.

To be sure Portland definitely has a loaded magazine ban, and it is rumored that Beaverton does as well. However, owing to the language of Oregon's preemption statute, such bans would be legally unenforceable anyway as they would be regulating the possession of ammunition and firearm components without express authorization by the State Legislature.

A magazine is NOT a firearm.

Cremator75

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Cremator75 wrote:

I'm not convinced as to the veracity of this claim.

To be sure Portland definitely has a loaded magazine ban, and it is rumored that Beaverton does as well. However, owing to the language of Oregon's preemption statute, such bans would be legally unenforceable anyway as they would be regulating the possession of ammunition and firearm components without express authorization by the State Legislature.

A magazine is NOT a firearm.
Don't get me wrong, I'm with you. I was just letting an Oregon newby know of the current PDX statute. If anyone knows, you should, that unenforceable rules can still create a lot of hassle for you, like the whole MAX incident.

Cremator75

imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
There is no reciprocity between Oregon and Utah. But having a Utah permit does open up your options significantly.
Small correction. UT honors OR but OR does not honor UT, so getting a UT permit as an OR resident is worthless as stated above unless you travel to other states that honor UT's.