• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Engraving

45acpForMe

imported post

I have a gun I am interested in,but am torn about the engraving on it. I like it to some extent but part of me thinks it is tacky.

Here is a picture of the gun I am interested in. What do you all think about engraving on guns and whether they are worth the extra money or not. I know they all go bang so the engraving shouldn't matter much.

In this case I can get a used engraved gun for about $100 more than a new one without engraving.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

If it didn't say 'NRA' on it....
Engravings are like tattoos... It is strictly personal choice/expression. If the engraving means something to you, then nobody else has a right to say anything about it! Some engravings are purely ornamental, and again, its up to you weather you like it or not...
As for the one pictured... I like eagles, but wouldn't give the extra $$ simply because of the NRA logo... I think that part of the engraving actually detracts from the value. If it was just the eagles head, I might be willing to go the extra $100.

Just my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it!

PT111

imported post

Whatever floats your boat or triggers your fancy. It doesn't do a whole lot for me but look at the collector guns and usually the top priced ones are engraved so someone likes it. Your decision and yours alone.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I've carried one 3" Kahr of one kind or another (MK or PM series, currently an MK9 w/Lasergrips and Trijicons) on my ankle as a BUG for as long as I've been carrying, and I've always thought having the words "NOISY CRICKET" engraved on the slide would be kinda fun. Although nobody would ever see it, because its rarely out of the holster, so oh well.

45acpForMe

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I've carried one 3" Kahr of one kind or another (MK or PM series, currently an MK9 w/Lasergrips and Trijicons) on my ankle as a BUG for as long as I've been carrying, and I've always thought having the words "NOISY CRICKET" engraved on the slide would be kinda fun. Although nobody would ever see it, because its rarely out of the holster, so oh well.
I have a Kahr mk40 and its more like a rabid Chihuahua!

I call my NAA 32acp the "Angry Cricket" :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Engravings are like tattoos...  It is strictly personal choice/expression.  If the engraving means something to you, then nobody else has a right to say anything about it!  S
... SNIP ...

So what are you saying here. If he likes it nobody but YOU can criticize the engraving and everyone else should go pound sand? :question:

Your opinion is worthless if you start by saying you don't like the content of the engraving and then follow that with the personal choice and nobody else can have an opinion comment. :banghead:

At least you got the part about the value of the opinion right. :lol:

Landpimp

imported post

well I like a good engraved gun.......but this one(a T series Hi Power with pawn shop Pot leaf engraving) made me sick......but I didnt take it home for dirt cheap

this is a real HIGH Power :D

337454470.jpg

SlackwareRobert

imported post

On the plus side, since all the gun grabbers in congress say they support the NRA
that will be the last gun seized.:banghead:
If it distracts a CA pc12301 serial check it might also be ok.
Just one more temp to brandish in my book.

Is that laser engraved, or etched? It looks like the former from the pic.
I worry about long term wear.
My dueling pistols are bad for the grime getting in the etching.
A real mother to keep clean. I guess when you put it all on the line
you make a statement all around, they never think about the poor smuck
down the road who gets it after they lose having to keep it up.:shock:

okboomer

imported post

45 - here are a couple of the factors *I* consider when looking at a gun such as this:

1) factory serial number vs. NRA serial number

2) NRA run quanitity - was it a "limited edition" run for the NRA, or simply branded for the NRA?

3) Do YOU like the etching? (Looks like laser etching rather than true engraving, to me)

4) Whether you buy this gun or the new one, it *will* be a used gun when you sell it, now, does that impact the value of the used/etched gun?

I personally have bought NRA guns simply because of the NRA etching AND the NRA Serial Number. One is NIB three years later, one is a Berreta Shotgun that is used.

Like Gator said, engraving is like a tattoo, if you like it, you like it and it has value, or you don't like it and it has no value to you.

Gun pricing is subjective, whatever the traffic will bear ... you might also try negotiating with the NIB price as "too much for you" and see if you can make a deal on the used one.

Good luck :celebrate

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I read the XD/XDm-talk forum because I have an XDm,
Springfield Armory started adding enraving on the newer XDm's that states "Pistol of the year" with the NRA logo or something along that line and some people wanted the engraving, others did not. A few guys avoided the newer engraved guns and waited until older units came available so it did not have engraving on it.

Would I pay more for a specialtyengraved gun that has been fired? I doubt it. But I might be willing to pay more for it if it was going to be a collector piece only.

Used being more expensive than new because of the engraving? I would go with the new firearm and if I wanted engraving on it, I wouldhave it done with something I like instead.
Selling a gun with personally significant engraving? Well, if you find a buyer that really like the engraving, it may bring more coin.

Maybe we should look at this as getting a new girlfriend, that has her ex's name tattooed across her ass, Would you really want to see that every damn day???
(depending on how shapely said ass is, i would still see it as a blemish to a work of art)

45acpForMe

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Maybe we should look at this as getting a new girlfriend, that has her ex's name tattooed across her ass...
:p While I wouldn't be doing sex actson or into the pistol (not that much of a gun nut) I do see your point.

In this specific case I was on the fence because I thought the engraving was well done and acceptable. I slept on the decision for a couple days and am now leaning against the purchase.

BTW, with the auctions going the way they did over the past couple days this used engraved gun was now about $100 cheaper than the new gun. What made the decision easier for me was finding another gun (similiar model) that peaked my interest alot more.

Thanks for the input. I would still consider an engraved gun in the future but it has never been one of my main considerations.

JOESEEB

imported post

Well I think that engraving is cool as long as it means something to you. I have a ruger p90 .45acp that my best friend nick named "Pit Bull" I have been considering getting a Pit engraved on one side and the words Pit Bull engraved over Ruger p90 on the other.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Just my 2 cents worth -

Fancy, detailed engraving is for BBQ guns.

Simple french border on slide or other very minor such is OK for a carry gun, but I prefer my working gun/everyday carry to be plain & business like.

The quality of the work is the paramount consideration in any embellishment.

Yata hey

patriot1776

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Engravings are like tattoos... It is strictly personal choice/expression. If the engraving means something to you, then nobody else has a right to say anything about it! Some engravings are purely ornamental, and again, its up to you weather you like it or not...
As for the one pictured... I like eagles, but wouldn't give the extra $$ simply because of the NRA logo... I think that part of the engraving actually detracts from the value. If it was just the eagles head, I might be willing to go the extra $100.

I agree about the NRA part. I would prefer an engraving that means something to me, like an animal or something. Engravings are definatley best when they are on an all metal gun in my opinion.

Dreamer

imported post

I'm not a big fan of engraving on "carry guns" for a number of reasons, but you gotta admit, this guy's work is ASTOUNDING, and he's done everything from 1911's to S&W snubbies to Browning HiPowers, and they all are works of art...

http://jrfrenchgunengraver.com/index.html

If I had the money for a "safe queen", or a high-end BBQ gun, I'd seriously consider getting something like this sort of work done. These guns aren't about wearing them every day, and being exposed to the elements, and holster wear, and sweat, and saving your life in some dark alley. They are works of art, plain and simple. I imagine they DO function perfectly as well, but it would almost seem a shame to dirty them up with powder and lead--it would be like using a Monet or Renoir to whack a burglar over the head with... :shock:

Decoligny

imported post

I like an engraved gun.

I don't like an etched gun.

Engraving is done with hand tools and metal is removed.

Barry-2.jpg

Etching is done with either acid, or laser and is usually just an applique that discolors the metal to a certain depth or simply burns through the coating on the metal.

fakecan3.jpg