• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Told no OC in Red Robins, at Patrick Henry mall

Pagan

imported post

Tonight; went there for my sons free dinner for his 6th birthday, asI was leaving, the manager advised me of the "corporate"no carry policy except for LEO in Red Robin's.

My letter to them:

Hello, as a regular customer to various Red Robin restaurants across the state of Virginia, I have recieved conflicting information from different Managers, at different shifts in different locations.
I am legally allowed to carry my firearm into restaraunts that serve alcohol in the state of Virginia, as long as the firearm in not concealed. Recently a shift manager at a Red Robin's, informed me and my party that we were not allowed to carry our lawfully carried firearms in the restaraunt, because they serve alcohol. I informed the shift manager that he was mistaken, and informed him of Virginia law protecting the rights of citizens to exercise our rights in restaraunts, that serve alcohol.
The shift manager then informed me that it is Red Robin Corporate policy to ban all firearms unless carried by Law Enforcement; into any Red Robin anywhere.
I read through the Red Robin Corporate Gorvernance PDF. online and it reads quite clear that ALL federal, state and local laws must be followed and that no discrimination will be tolerated.
It is legal in Virginia to open carry a firearm into ANY restaraunt that serves alcohol, and thus I was not violating any laws, and me and my party of 10 were well behaved and enjoyed the food at Red Robin's, also I have open carried my firearm into Red Robin's many times without incident, and have continued to patronize Red Robin's because they seem to respect the fundametal core values of our nation, and to not ban American's exercising their rights, if no laws are being broken.
If it is in fact Red Robin Corporate policy to discriminate against American's concerned with the safety of themselves and their families, what steps has Red Robin Corporate taken to ensure the safety of me and my family while in your establishments? I have never seen ANY kind of security measures that would atleast give the illusion of safety against a detirmended criminal in any Red Robin restaraunt.
Please let me know if Red Robin Corporate has decided to make all of their restaraunts "criminal safe zones" by disarming the law abiding citizens of Virginia, that wish to have a really good burger.
thank you

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Well written, Brother Pagan! I've also OC'd that that Red Robin a few times and never had a problem. Looks like you found their ONE manager that wants to ensure criminals have a good chance of getting away with their nefarious plans...

A couple typos, but I'm sure they'll get the message. Hopefully, they'll respond in a positive manner. Maybe we could "reward" them with an OC dinner?

Just my $.02 worth...

msc

va_tazdad

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Well written, Brother Pagan! I've also OC'd that that Red Robin a few times and never had a problem. Looks like you found their ONE manager that wants to ensure criminals have a good chance of getting away with their nefarious plans...

A couple typos, but I'm sure they'll get the message. Hopefully, they'll respond in a positive manner. Maybe we could "reward" them with an OC dinner?

Just my $.02 worth...

msc

The one at Chesterfield Town Center in Richmond is the same. Manager advised LEO's only and I advised I wasn't that hungary anyway.

Unos has better food anyway.

ODA 226

imported post

I've OC'd at numerous Red Robins at least a dozen times and no one has ever told me that I wasn't welcome.....maybe I'm just that much better looking than Pagan? :lol:

usaf0906

imported post

I had the same issue at this red robin when I went there for lunch with my wife awhile ago.

I cant find the post on here that I made, but I talked with the regional manager and he confirmed that it is a corporate policy.

Pagan

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I've OC'd at numerous Red Robins at least a dozen times and no one has ever told me that I wasn't welcome.....maybe I'm just that much better looking than Pagan? :lol:

I've OC'd there many times as well, guess this manager (William Sample), thinks your cute also,;).

But seriously aren't you aLEO? I mean I will certainly respect their private property rights,I certainly want others to respect mine, but ifI showed up in plain clothes and then flip out a badge, they would be Ok with that?! WTF, we all know someLEO's violate their fellow American's rights.:uhoh:That whole attitude that LEO's deserve special treatment for a profession they choose to do, not drafted/compulsory mind you, is just screwed up,IMO.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Pagan wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

I've OC'd there many times as well, guess this manager (William Sample), thinks your cute also,;).

But seriously aren't you aLEO? I mean I will certainly respect their private property rights,I certainly want others to respect mine, but ifI showed up in plain clothes and then flip out a badge, they would be Ok with that?! WTF, we all know someLEO's violate their fellow American's rights.:uhoh:That whole attitude that LEO's deserve special treatment for a profession they choose to do, not drafted/compulsory mind you, is just screwed up,IMO.
I haven't decided which of you two characterslooks more intimidating...
Pagan, looking like he could chew a Harley in half, spit liquid chrome and chit studded tires,or
ODA looking like he could bend an M2HB (.50 cal machine gun) in half and de-bullet the rounds with his bare hands.

I wasn't overly interested in dealing with either one of you unless I was properly introduced by a mutual friend and you had already been fed a decent meal. It would take any business owner or manager a bit of backbone to confront either one of you.

Ryan? Did the manager bring "reinforcements" when he came to talk to you?

Marco

imported post

I don't think it's a Corporate problem but a Mgr. issue, have been to a few RR in my area with no issues other than spotty service.

Pagan

imported post

No he was alone and very polite, a testament to his professionalism, under different circumstances, we would get along great I'm sure. He was consistant in stating it was simply corporate policy.

usaf0906

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I don't think it's a Corporate problem but a Mgr. issue, have been to a few RR in my area with no issues other than spotty service.
As I said above, it IS a corporate policy according to the regional manager. He did say that store managers will usually only enforce it if a customer complains; or in my case, an employee.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

cbackous wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
As I said above, it IS a corporate policy according to the regional manager. He did say that store managers will usually only enforce it if a customer complains; or in my case, an employee.
If so, corporate policy should also be to fire employees, if they initiate the complaint and force the company to lose business.

Here in CA, police cannot cite for noise complaints without a citizen complaint, because police cannot legally be offended by the noise.

Marco

imported post

cbackous wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
I think the RM was blowing smoke up your bunghole.

ODA 226

imported post

Pagan wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

But seriously aren't you aLEO?
I was, but now I'm just Joe Citizen. It must be my devastating good looks then! LOL!

Dreamer

imported post

According to the Red Robin Code Of Ethics, pp 7-8, Section V, § C & D, and I quote:

V. Comply with Laws and Regulations.
C. Prevent Discrimination and Harassment.
• Red Robin offers a workplace in which each Team Member is treated with dignity and respect and is given an opportunity to excel. To promote that work environment, the Company prohibits unlawful discrimination and harassment. The Company will not permit unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or other basis prohibited by law. Neither will the Company permit its Team Members to be harassed.

• The Company welcomes all guests. Unlawful discrimination as to our guests will not be tolerated.
D. Do Not Violate the Law.
• Do not knowingly enter into any transaction that would violate any applicable Federal, state or local law or regulation or applicable law of a foreign country in which we do business. If you have a question as to the legality of an action you plan to take, discuss the matter beforehand with the General Counsel.
This is copied from their official corporate publication, and was downloaded in PDF format from this link:

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/IROL/13/131715/RRGBCodeofEthics.pdf

I would suggest printing this out and carrying it with you when you visit Red Robins in the future, so you can PROVE to those Managers that they are not only wrong, but they are lying to you, and be sure to do it in front of other RR employees, so that these managers lose their credibility and their authority is undermined.

And then politely ask if you have to pay for your unfinished meal before you must leave. Hopefully they will let you go without paying, but if they want you to pay AND get kicked out, be sure to get the Manager's name, and the store number so you can write a letter to Corporate.

Unfortunately, I can't Carry in ANY of the RR's in NC, because we are prohibited form carry of ANY type in restaurants that serve alcohol. But the next time I'm in VA, I'll be sure to OC my Para (and CC my copy of the RR Code Of Ethics...) :p

Dreamer

imported post

Another thing I'd like to put out there...

When we are harassed by businesses about OC, we should IMMEDIATELY activate our voice or video recorders, so that we have a record of the interaction that we can then post on this forum and send to their Corporate HQs.

And they should be told, politely, that we will gladly leave if they don't want the business of law-abiding citizens, and that we will be posting a video/audio record of the interaction on the Internet, and sending it to their corporate HQ.

Perhaps THEN they will start thinking twice before harassing us for the legal, Constitutional, and socially responsible activity of OC...

usaf0906

imported post

raftgyde wrote:
cbackous wrote:
I had the same issue at this red robin when I went there for lunch with my wife awhile ago.

I cant find the post on here that I made, but I talked with the regional manager and he confirmed that it is a corporate policy.
Do you mean this one?

OC not allowed at Red Robin?

Yes, you found it.

As far as the RR code of ethics, the business still has the right to refuse service to whomever they want, as long as its not a legally protected class. Sadly, Open Carriers are not a protected class, yet. One might make an arguement for national origin (USA) and the whole 2A thing, but thats pushing it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

always best to take the time to write a shorter letter - a good point to make is that "open carry is required by law in restaurants serving alcohol."