• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NO GUNS ALLOWED at Waterside???

TFred

imported post

I'd be tempted to print out a copy of the preemption law and tape it to all the signs. You wouldn't be able to see what happens in the managers office but wow I bet it would be funny!

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Not ifa "coordinated attack" is made...
Not advocating breaking the law, but I have an idea how we can do it quickly and with minimal chance of immediate discovery.

PRICELESS would be the management's reading of the sticker...

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've been sitting here stewing about this...
The City Attorney (or one of them) outright LIED TO ME...
Over and over... KNOWING he was doing it.
WTF is WRONG with them?
I also mentioned that they had been sued for violating someone's rights for OCing at Waterside and he DENIED it. I then said "Ok, you settled out of court..." He STILL denied anything ever happened.

What are the chances this guy NEVER HEARD about Danbus???

My guess is Slim and NONE (and Slim just left town!!!)

That REALLY frosts my doodads...

I found this quote from a Virginian Pilot Article...

The city’s housing authority bought the marketplace from its private owner in early 1999. At the time, Norfolk leaders said they planned to eventually find a private owner and get out of the landlord business.

Nearly 10 years later, the city still owns Waterside, which has become less of a boon to municipal coffers.

It brought in roughly $2.2 million in revenue from real estate, food, beverage and admission taxes last year. That’s a $300,000 drop in annual tax revenue since 2004.

Leases in recent years haven’t covered the marketplace’s operating costs and debt payments. The city has subsidized the facility with $850,000 annually. This year, Norfolk will have to find an additional $250,000 before the end of June to make up for additional lease shortfalls.

With its questionable future, one of the biggest challenges is getting people to sign new leases, said John Kownack, an assistant executive director for Norfolk’s Redevelopment and Housing Authority. Some business owners shy away from leasing and making upgrades to spaces that they may have for only a couple of years, he said.

WTF, O?!?!?!?!?!

I have a newfoundamazing dislikefor Norfolk's "government". This "lawyer" outright LIED to me OVER AND OVER. The most troubling part of it was that I was on speakerphone while he did it and he did it with such conviction! I wonder how many others were in the room and involved in this CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY???

I asked for his name, he gave it to me, but I didn't write it down. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I'll find out what it was and call him out on this...

TFred

imported post

Just to be sure they "get it", you might want to copy the text of the offending line of the rules at the top of the 915 printout. It would appear that they may be a little dense, maybe so much so that they wouldn't understand the context without a little help.

Sad.

TFred

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

P.S. Make sure you BOLD the pertinent part of section C:

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.

Dreamer

imported post

"DonTreadOnMe" texted me the pic he took of this sign, and I've Photoshopped it a little to sharpen the text, and dropped an "arrow" into th epic to clearly mark the firearms prohibition line he spoke of...

Do not try this at home. I'm a trained professional... ;)

darthmord

imported post

Unfreaking believable!! :shock:

Philip, Skidmark, guys... do we need to make yet another trip to Downtown Norfolk for a City Council meeting to demand our elected officials follow & obey the law or face lawsuits and potential firing from their jobs?

Given the history of this crap at Waterside, can't we do something other than just flail at Norfolk to make them comply with the law?

Thundar

imported post

O.K., that sign is really a load of B.S. Not only do they abridge our 2A rights (No weapons), but in the same sign the trample on the 4thA (Bags subject to search), and 1st A (Passing out pamphlets prohibited.)

This is public, not private, property. We know this. These are all self executing rights. Norfolk does not have the authority to squash our rights.

Norfolk Waterside = Tyranny Capitol of the Commonwealth of Virginia

essayons

imported post

Thundar wrote:
O.K., that sign is really a load of B.S.  Not only do they abridge our 2A rights (No weapons), but in the same sign the trample on the 4thA (Bags subject to search), and 1st A (Passing out pamphlets prohibited.)

This is public, not private, property.  We know this.  These are all self executing rights.  Norfolk does not have the authority to squash our rights.

OC trip carrying backpacks full of VCDL leaflets? Kill three birds with one stone.

2a4all

imported post

essayons wrote:
Thundar wrote:
O.K., that sign is really a load of B.S. Not only do they abridge our 2A rights (No weapons), but in the same sign the trample on the 4thA (Bags subject to search), and 1st A (Passing out pamphlets prohibited.)

This is public, not private, property. We know this. These are all self executing rights. Norfolk does not have the authority to squash our rights.

OC trip carrying backpacks full of VCDL leaflets? Kill three birds with one stone.
Before anyone goes off the deep end,reviewthe judge's ruling declaring that Waterside is public property.

essayons

imported post

2a4all wrote:
essayons wrote:
Thundar wrote:
O.K., that sign is really a load of B.S.  Not only do they abridge our 2A rights (No weapons), but in the same sign the trample on the 4thA (Bags subject to search), and 1st A (Passing out pamphlets prohibited.)

This is public, not private, property.  We know this.  These are all self executing rights.  Norfolk does not have the authority to squash our rights.

Before anyone goes off the deep end,  review the judge's ruling declaring that Waterside is public property.

Do you have a link?

The news articles I have read stated that the judge ruled Waterside as public property. I don't see how if it is public property they can outright prohibit constitutionally protected rights.

Thundar

imported post

Link to Danbus Arrested at Waterside case: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=19682&forum_id=54&highlight=waterside

We should have anticipated this. Norfolk is not done with the Waterside debacle. Look what Phishy's minion said after they lost the first time:

Andrew Fox, who prosecuted the case for the city attorney's office, said the city disagrees with Mathews' decision, calling it "an erroneous application of the law."

Fox said the city can't appeal the decision, but added the city will continue to aid private businesses "in enforcing policies they determine to be necessary and appropriate to the safe and efficient operation of their premises."

So you see they are at it again. We know they are wrong, but that doesn't mean they will not keep trying. We should carry our protest not only to the city council meeting, but also to the NRHA meetings as well.

Start with FOIA requests to the NRHA. One bit of contention was that they did not have any written policies about firearms at Waterside. We need to find out if that has changed.

We also need to read the lease between NRHA and Waterside Associates.

ODA 226

imported post

AND....This should all be taken offline if we want any positive results.....Remember, the enemy is listening...reading...watching...PROVOKING...and waiting for our response.

Thundar

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
AND....This should all be taken offline if we want any positive results.....Remember, the enemy is listening...reading...watching...PROVOKING...and waiting for our response.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but two can play the game. Here, fishy, fishy.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

To what extent can the Virginia Attorney General's office investigate written requests for assistance in protecting citizen rights against local government? Is this an option?

2a4all

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Link to Danbus Arrested at Waterside case: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=19682&forum_id=54&highlight=waterside

We should have anticipated this. Norfolk is not done with the Waterside debacle. Look what Phishy's minion said after they lost the first time:

Andrew Fox, who prosecuted the case for the city attorney's office, said the city disagrees with Mathews' decision, calling it "an erroneous application of the law."

Fox said the city can't appeal the decision, but added the city will continue to aid private businesses "in enforcing policies they determine to be necessary and appropriate to the safe and efficient operation of their premises."

So you see they are at it again. We know they are wrong, but that doesn't mean they will not keep trying. We should carry our protest not only to the city council meeting, but also to the NRHA meetings as well.

Start with FOIA requests to the NRHA. One bit of contention was that they did not have any written policies about firearms at Waterside. We need to find out if that has changed.

We also need to read the lease between NRHA and Waterside Associates.

It's possible that any case similar to Danbus' heard by a different judge could go against the defendant, with (severe) penalties.

§ 18.2-23. Conspiring to trespass or commit larceny. (Class 3 misdemeanor)

§ 18.2-119. Trespass after having been forbidden to do so; penalties. (Class 1 misdemeanor)

§ 18.2-120. Instigating, etc., such trespass by others; preventing service to persons not forbidden to trespass. (Class 1 misdemeanor)

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

2a4all wrote:
essayons wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Before anyone goes off the deep end,reviewthe judge's ruling declaring that Waterside is public property.
Read it, I was in the gallery for all of Danbus's trial...and OC after and half a dozen times after at waterside. I also OC when I took the above pic. I have given a couple days of my life fighting this crap at waterside. I am not off the deep end, but I am sure pissed off.