Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bold Fresh Tour - Jan. 30th (Ted Constant Center - ODU)

Post imported post

Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly are going on a book tour, the Bold Fresh Tour.

They will appear in Virginia at the Ted Constant Convocation Center on Saturday, January 30, 8 PM.

Is open or concealed carry okay?

Post imported post

Restrictions:
    The following is a list of the Ted Constant Convocation Center restrictions:

1. Alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs
    2. Glass bottles or aluminum cans
    3. Ice chests (coolers) or thermos containers
    4. Cameras or recording devices (allowed only at specific events)
    5. Sticks or clubs
    6. Fireworks, firearms, or other weapons
    7. Bullhorns or noise makers
    8. Confetti or balloons
    9. Animals (except certified service dogs for the disabled)
    10. Beachballs and other inflatables
    11. Outside food or beverages
    12. Skateboards or rollerblades
    13. Water bottles or mugs

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Restrictions:
    The following is a list of the Ted Constant Convocation Center restrictions:

1. Alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs
    2. Glass bottles or aluminum cans
    3. Ice chests (coolers) or thermos containers
    4. Cameras or recording devices (allowed only at specific events)
    5. Sticks or clubs
    6. Fireworks, firearms, or other weapons
    7. Bullhorns or noise makers
    8. Confetti or balloons
    9. Animals (except certified service dogs for the disabled)
    10. Beachballs and other inflatables
    11. Outside food or beverages
    12. Skateboards or rollerblades
    13. Water bottles or mugs
    IT IS A PUBLIC BUILDING!!!! WTF!? Ever heard of preemption?

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    IT IS A PUBLIC BUILDING!!!!
    Are you sure?

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Are you sure?
    I am under the assumption that since ODU owns it and they are a public university that it would be public. Maybe I am mistaken? hmm I guess since you do need a ticket to enter whatever event would be there....... hmm

Post imported post

Last Friday night on O'Reilly's show when they were announcing the tour, Beck was talking about how these two together would drive the liberals nuts, and then he appeared to make a joking comment that there would be metal detectors at the venues. It seemed to be aimed at the liberal nuts, not the OC'ers, but it will certainly be interesting to see how this develops.

TFred

Post imported post

For those that listen to Glenn Beck often knows he is receiving terrible death threats. He has a valid level of fear at any public event he attend now. Very sad that an radio/tv talk show host gets death threats for exposing information that otherwise may not see the light of day.

Post imported post

rgrwo wrote:
    For those that listen to Glenn Beck often knows he is receiving terrible death threats. He has a valid level of fear at any public event he attend now. Very sad that an radio/tv talk show host gets death threats for exposing information that otherwise may not see the light of day.
    Well, remember that Glenn strongly supports gun rights.

Maybe a caller could bring it up.

Post imported post

See VA AG Opinion 05-078; the AG, at the request of Sen. Creigh Deeds (on behalf of VCDL), opined that Universities could not institute a general ban on firearms for visitors, but could regulate or prohibit firearms for specific events. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear; perhaps AG Cuccinelli can render a better opinion soon…

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Are you sure?
    I am under the assumption that since ODU owns it and they are a public university that it would be public. Maybe I am mistaken? hmm I guess since you do need a ticket to enter whatever event would be there....... hmm
    You might be right. I was thinking of something else.

Post imported post

johnfenter wrote:
    See VA AG Opinion 05-078; the AG, at the request of Sen. Creigh Deeds (on behalf of VCDL), opined that Universities could not institute a general ban on firearms for visitors, but could regulate or prohibit firearms for specific events. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear; perhaps AG Cuccinelli can render a better opinion soon…
    The total ban on firearms for the Ted Constant Center appears to be 24/7/365 not for special events. It would presumably apply to visits to the ticket office in the building during regular hours when no event at all is taking place in the building. This then appears to be a general ban on firearms for this building.

What do readers think would be the next step in trying to lift this general ban? Letter to ODU President asking for source of authority or asking for sign to be revised to comply with VA constitution and statute?

Post imported post

On second thought, I am not actually sure that ODU owns the Ted. I think it may be privately owned but used by the university. I will research it more after class.

Post imported post

According to Global Spectrum the operators of The Ted the arena is owned by the State of Va and ODU

Post imported post

Is this another one of those B.S. arguments like at the VB Convention Center or Norfolk Scope or Hampton Coliseum (and convention center) where the municipality feigns lessor status and "grants" the lessee privilege to make up their own rules even on publicly-owned property that SHOULD be subject to preemption?

This ridiculous bullcarp has got to stop.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Up date got a call back from the GMs office ODU owns Ted

Post imported post

So we are pretty sure ODU/Commowealth of VA owns Ted. Ted has a list of rules which include a 24/7/365 ban on firearms. How do readers suggest we go about testing the legality of that ban. I am willing to write to the President of ODU FOIA request for documents which relate to adoption of the rule. Any thoughts about this as a first approach?

Post imported post

This is worth a mention, but I was at a VT football game a few months ago and they have signs up at the gates saying no firearms and that (I'm pretty sure) they can search you.:shock:

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    This is worth a mention, but I was at a VT football game a few months ago and they have signs up at the gates saying no firearms and that (I'm pretty sure) they can search you.:shock:
    Then what? Under what authority could they refuse you entrance to a public facility/event or disarm you

Post imported post

AtackDuck wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Then what? Under what authority could they refuse you entrance to a public facility/event or disarm you
    The faux authority of "We're a state agency, don't fall under preemption, and can do what we want because we don't care about your pesky US 2nd amendment and VA Article 1 Section 13 right to bear arms so neener neener"

Time to "revoke" their "right" to ban guns.

Post imported post

OC/CC in the Ted Constant Convocation Center? I'm going to Bold-Fresh tour in May and their website prohibits firearms at events there.

See:
    http://www.constantcenter.com/faq/
    for their no firearms policy.

In the "About Us" section, it looks like it is privately funded and managed facility, so I'm thinking I can't carry there.

I really don't think this is public property of any sort. Does anyone know differently?

You all know how crazy those "Right-Wingers" are that love Glenn Beck. I'd be crazy to go unarmed!

Post imported post

It's my opinion that the AG opinion is wrong.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

Says its owned by ODU. It is managed by a private firm, but that is irrelevant. I sent Glenn Beck an e-mail about it. I also sent one to Phillip Van Cleve. Hopefully someone can do something about it because I'm going on the 21st.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

You hear back from him? I'll be there tomorrow night. Planning on packing, but leaving it in the car. I'll just be another one of the sheep. Hopefully, if I need some help, some other criminal citizen that is carrying can help to protect me.

Post imported post

Ok, just got back from the event. Lots of rowdy folks on the verge of sedition...and about 90% senior citizens. I fit right in.

Anyhow, didn't see ANY OC except from LEOs. There were 6 LEOs by my count. 1 at front gate/entry point, 2 at back sides of stage, 1 at upper rear concourse, and 1 on each side upper concourses. The house was about 80-90% capacity.

On my way in, I spoke VERY briefly with an LEO with NO time for me (even though he was just standing there doing very little). Trying to get a few utterances from him was like pulling teeth. I said, "Hello, I have a question.". He looked my way with complete disinterest and/or a bit of derisiveness and grunted as if he was listening. I said, "What is the firearms policy at this event for open or concealed carry?" He quickly said, "What? Why? No. Can't have 'em", glanced at my side (I was unarmed), and then looked away in order to break contact. I said, "Is this on campus...is that why?", and he emphatically said, "no firearms in public buildings, city buildings, or anything". Once again he turned away as if to break contact. I asked again if it was on campus (toying with the idea of bringing up my right to carry in publicly owned buildings) and he said to call the city.

Of course, my mind was SCREAMING preemption at this point, but I bit my tongue. Someone this ignorant of firearms law is not worth my missing the event due to a verbal battle in the lobby. I wasn't going to win the verbal battle anyway without some printed VA code sections and a definitive answer on whether we were on campus or not.

This LEO looked about one more question away from TASING my A$$ if I didn't leave him alone. I made the decision that this guy was all brawn and no brains based upon his lack of verbal skills, body language, and general disposition. So I said thanks and walked away.

It's too bad VCDL didn't jump on this event/venue and stick up for me. It's too bad I expect someone else to stick up for me, but that is where I'm at in this situation because I can't tell if I'm on campus or not, and I don't want to be the test monkey that challenges the law on this one.

Unfortunately, I was not observant enough to catch his name or jurisdiction. I'm pretty damn sure he wasn't ODU campus police, or he would have know if we were on campus and also wouldn't have suggested calling the city.

From his tone and words, I got the clear message that nobody better be carrying firearms around these parts unless they have a badge.

I'm just glad I live somewhere (f-burg) where my rights are respected a little more by LEOs. What good, after all, is written law when effectively, the law is whatever comes out of the LEO's mouth. Sure, it will all get settled in court, but the fact remains that on the street, what's written in the book doesn't matter a lick - It's all about the LEO, and this one wasn't going to let any firearms past him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Bad move. If you wanted to carry, just carry. If you know the law then there's no need to go provoking some government worker. I have no idea if the place serves alcohol, but if they didn't you have the option of CC, I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast