• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bold Fresh Tour - Jan. 30th (Ted Constant Center - ODU)

simmonsjoe

imported post

Says its owned by ODU. It is managed by a private firm, but that is irrelevant. I sent Glenn Beck an e-mail about it. I also sent one to Phillip Van Cleve. Hopefully someone can do something about it because I'm going on the 21st.

TGT1

imported post

You hear back from him? I'll be there tomorrow night. Planning on packing, but leaving it in the car. I'll just be another one of the sheep. Hopefully, if I need some help, some other criminal citizen that is carrying can help to protect me.

TGT1

imported post

Ok, just got back from the event. Lots of rowdy folks on the verge of sedition...and about 90% senior citizens. I fit right in.

Anyhow, didn't see ANY OC except from LEOs. There were 6 LEOs by my count. 1 at front gate/entry point, 2 at back sides of stage, 1 at upper rear concourse, and 1 on each side upper concourses. The house was about 80-90% capacity.

On my way in, I spoke VERY briefly with an LEO with NO time for me (even though he was just standing there doing very little). Trying to get a few utterances from him was like pulling teeth. I said, "Hello, I have a question.". He looked my way with complete disinterest and/or a bit of derisiveness and grunted as if he was listening. I said, "What is the firearms policy at this event for open or concealed carry?" He quickly said, "What? Why? No. Can't have 'em", glanced at my side (I was unarmed), and then looked away in order to break contact. I said, "Is this on campus...is that why?", and he emphatically said, "no firearms in public buildings, city buildings, or anything". Once again he turned away as if to break contact. I asked again if it was on campus (toying with the idea of bringing up my right to carry in publicly owned buildings) and he said to call the city.

Of course, my mind was SCREAMING preemption at this point, but I bit my tongue. Someone this ignorant of firearms law is not worth my missing the event due to a verbal battle in the lobby. I wasn't going to win the verbal battle anyway without some printed VA code sections and a definitive answer on whether we were on campus or not.

This LEO looked about one more question away from TASING my A$$ if I didn't leave him alone. I made the decision that this guy was all brawn and no brains based upon his lack of verbal skills, body language, and general disposition. So I said thanks and walked away.

It's too bad VCDL didn't jump on this event/venue and stick up for me. It's too bad I expect someone else to stick up for me, but that is where I'm at in this situation because I can't tell if I'm on campus or not, and I don't want to be the test monkey that challenges the law on this one.

Unfortunately, I was not observant enough to catch his name or jurisdiction. I'm pretty damn sure he wasn't ODU campus police, or he would have know if we were on campus and also wouldn't have suggested calling the city.

From his tone and words, I got the clear message that nobody better be carrying firearms around these parts unless they have a badge.

I'm just glad I live somewhere (f-burg) where my rights are respected a little more by LEOs. What good, after all, is written law when effectively, the law is whatever comes out of the LEO's mouth. Sure, it will all get settled in court, but the fact remains that on the street, what's written in the book doesn't matter a lick - It's all about the LEO, and this one wasn't going to let any firearms past him.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bad move. If you wanted to carry, just carry. If you know the law then there's no need to go provoking some government worker. I have no idea if the place serves alcohol, but if they didn't you have the option of CC, I suppose.

TGT1

imported post

I certainly didn't make a bad move, in my opinion.

I think carrying when you aren't sure if it is legal is about the dumbest F-ing move on earth.

I didn't expect to get the "truth" about the law from the LEO...I wanted to know where he stood...how he was going to handle it if I were carrying. I asked him what the policy was on firearms at that event...he should have been able to answer that given he was working the event.

Are you saying I can't CC at the Richmond Diamond Flying Squirrels game because they sell beer there?

nova

imported post

TGT1 wrote:
It's too bad VCDL didn't jump on this event/venue and stick up for me.
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]VCDL says:

KNOW THE LAW IF YOU ARE GOING TO CARRY OPENLY. PLEASE, don't cause problems that you will then expect others, or us to correct.
[/font]

:)

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

t33j wrote:
If it truly is ODU property (as I'm inclined to believe), the current AG opinion opines that they do have the authority to prohibit firearms. If I recall correctly there are no guns signs near the front doors. I'd love to see that one changed.

http://www.vaag.com/OPINIONS/2006opns/05-078.pdf
I'm confused.

I read the linked opinion, and gather that if it is ODU property, they do NOT have the authority to prohibit firearms, except for students and employees.

Seems to me the no guns signage is inconsitent with law per the AG opinion.

t33j

imported post

It's not very conspicuous. :) (<- Not sarcastic BTW)

It is my opinion that the safe operation of the campus allows regulation of, or under limited
circumstances, prohibition of
, firearms by any persons attending events on campus, visiting
dormitories or classroom buildings, attending specific events as invitees, or under any
circumstance permitted by law. The universal prohibition of firearms by properly permitted
persons other than students, faculty, administration, or employees, however, is not allowed under
law. A board of visitors has responsibility for the protection of the students enrolled at their
university. At the same time, the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution
of the United States14 and by Article I, § 13, of the Constitution of Virginia,15 which protect all
citizens, may not be summarily dismissed for transient reasons.

big_bake

imported post

Well us students and faculty are still unarmed by the people we pay thousands of dollars to yearly. My house is 100' from a university building too. Funny how the law is so much different on the other side of the street.