• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia - National Park Open Carry Celebration.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Wolf_shadow wrote:
As I live on the Eastern Shore, Assateague Island is good for me.:celebrate
A good place to visit. Just make sure you don't go too far north and end up in Communist controlled lands. They're allergic to the Second Amendment and lawfully carried guns and don't have much of a sense of humor if you mistakenly wander onto their "turf". :banghead:

No Problem. It's a long walk from the parking lot along beach to MD. Besides the hiking trails I was going to use go south.

:celebrate

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Being from that area, I figured you would know better than anyone where you can and cannot go. How clearly marked is the "border" there? I know there are highway signs on 13, but I haven't been over there in a while and never have spent a lot of time over there. I just remember my older brother going to Accomac to play Little League baseball when I was young. Those North Accomac farmboys WHUPPED the "All Stars" from Norfolk... and right soundly!

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Never wanted to go that far north, as I said long walk up the beach. I think there is a sign at the line. As far as I know the only to MD is on the beach. Most other areas are marsh.

A few years ago there was an issue of nude sunbathers in the north end of VA section. When Accomack County created an ordinance against it they moved accross the line into MD.

:what:

novasig226r

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
DrMark wrote:
So, if you have to pee, you first have to lock your gun in your car before entering the bathroom to avoid violating USC18s930 on federal facilities?
Outhouses do not apply because federal employees are not regularly present there to perform official duties.
But one still needs to be careful. For example, on Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah NP the restrooms at Elkwallow are right next to the gas station office. Two different buildings under the same canopy.

I suspect that unless you want to do as the bears do and wee in the woods, tromping up to any restroom facility near another building might be taboo.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

hlh wrote:
Someone straighten me out here:

In VA I think we can conceal carry in State parks but NOT open carry, correct?

I also understand that we can OC and CC in State and National forests in VA, correct?

Nowwe will be able to concealed carry in National Parks on 2/27/10. Can we also OC in National Parks in VA on 2/27/20??

thanks, I need clarity.
Look up the Virginia Dept. of Conservation regulation - it is wrtten to broadly cover almst all state forest/park like land and federal forest land and ban open carry exccept where hunting is allowed; it is silent on federal parks, hence only in National Parks will you be able to open carry come February.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was thinking that lunch at the Big Meadows Lodge might be nice. Imagine that big room filled with people with guns on their hips.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

user wrote:
I was thinking that lunch at the Big Meadows Lodge might be nice. Imagine that big room filled with people with guns on their hips.
I'll carry my cell phone:celebrate

virginiatuck

imported post

TFred wrote:
user wrote:
Aren't buildings still off limits though?

TFred
Are any of the BML employees Federal or are they private? If there aren't any Federal employees working there, then I don't think the place would be off-limits.

darthmord

imported post

Mike wrote:
hlh wrote:
Someone straighten me out here:

In VA I think we can conceal carry in State parks but NOT open carry, correct?

I also understand that we can OC and CC in State and National forests in VA, correct?

Nowwe will be able to concealed carry in National Parks on 2/27/10. Can we also OC in National Parks in VA on 2/27/20??

thanks, I need clarity.
Look up the Virginia Dept. of Conservation regulation - it is wrtten to broadly cover almst all state forest/park like land and federal forest land and ban open carry exccept where hunting is allowed; it is silent on federal parks, hence only in National Parks will you be able to open carry come February.

The way the sign is written when I was last at Smith Mountain Lake State Park, it reads as follows...

'Firearms prohibited except for those with valid concealed handgun permit'

If reading the sign can be considered valid / legitimate guidance of the law, then one should be able to OC or CC in a VA State park as long as they have a valid concealed handgun permit.

I can provide a picture of the sign if anyone wants it. I would just need to be at home to post or email it.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

darthmord wrote:
The way the sign is written when I was last at Smith Mountain Lake State Park, it reads as follows...

If reading the sign can be considered valid / legitimate guidance of the law, then one should be able to OC or CC in a VA State park as long as they have a valid concealed handgun permit.

I can provide a picture of the sign if anyone wants it. I would just need to be at home to post or email it.

Um ... The topic is carry in NATIONAL parks. :what:

darthmord

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
darthmord wrote:

Um ... The topic is carry in NATIONAL parks. :what:
I know Hawk. I was merely giving some amplifying information on signage in response to a poster's question and Mike's response.

No need for bug eyes. :)