Thread: Porcupine 411 in Utah?

Post imported post

Anyone interested in setting up a Porcupine 411 recording service for Utah?

Basically it gives us a local phone number to call and record a message in case of imminent arrest, location of a speed trap, desire to meet for lunch, etc.

We would get a blog, local phone number, mailing list service, and podcast for $15/month.

I brought this up over on UCC, but thought I should do so here as well.

Likely we would setup a paypal account to accept donations and when the coffer is full, we would sign up.

If you would be willing to sponsor a month, let me know by posting in this thread. Thanks!

To view the New Hampshire service, click here.

Post imported post

I would be up for it

Post imported post

Except for the cost I would be betting we could do it for free.
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

I have envied the guys in New Hampshire for a while with this, I think it is a great idea.

I have been looking for a way to record without the audio file being on my person.

You know, just in case "they" decide to "accidentally erase" what is on my voice recorder. :P
    I say, lets do it! :celebrate I would be willing to sponsor the next month.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    Except for the cost I would be betting we could do it for free.
    The cost arises from web hosting and the phone line cost. If you know of a way to do that for free, I'd be interested.

Post imported post

The creator of Porc-411 is now offering to set up systems throughout the country.

http://porcupine411.com/signup/

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    The creator of Porc-411 is now offering to set up systems throughout the country.

http://porcupine411.com/signup/

Yeah, we'd be using his services. It's the monthly fee we'd have to cover.

Post imported post

I would be interested in supporting a month or two...just let me know what the plan is....

Banned

Post imported post

I've been wondering for a while now if I could set up a Porc-411 like service with Google Voice. Set it to not forward to any phones, all calls go to voicemail, the voicemail address sends to a mailing list, a blog which accepts e-mailed posts is subscribed to the mailing list, and the podcast feed is derived from the RSS feed of the blog.

It could all be free in theory. Implementing all the e-mail linkage and getting a GV number ending in 411 would be tricky though.

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    I've been wondering for a while now if I could set up a Porc-411 like service with Google Voice. Set it to not forward to any phones, all calls go to voicemail, the voicemail address sends to a mailing list, a blog which accepts e-mailed posts is subscribed to the mailing list, and the podcast feed is derived from the RSS feed of the blog.

It could all be free in theory. Implementing all the e-mail linkage and getting a GV number ending in 411 would be tricky though.
    I was offering this earlier, but then found out that Google Voice limits messages to 1 minute (used to be 3 I guess). So, due to the limited length, it became unfeasible.

Banned

Post imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:

I was offering this earlier, but then found out that Google Voice limits messages to 1 minute (used to be 3 I guess). So, due to the limited length, it became unfeasible.
    Ah. Well I have a free j2 fax/voicemail account from around 10 years ago. It sends GSM audio attachments of the voicemails. I forget what the message length limit is, but they don't offer free accounts anymore it seems. Maybe there's another company that has free voicemail numbers...

Post imported post

What is the purpose of this? I guess I dont understand it.

Post imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
    Anyone interested in setting up a Porcupine 411 recording service for Utah?

Basically it gives us a local phone number to call and record a message in case of imminent arrest, location of a speed trap, desire to meet for lunch, etc.

We would get a blog, local phone number, mailing list service, and podcast for $15/month.

I brought this up over on UCC, but thought I should do so here as well.

Likely we would setup a paypal account to accept donations and when the coffer is full, we would sign up.

If you would be willing to sponsor a month, let me know by posting in this thread. Thanks!

To view the New Hampshire service, click here.
    I looked at the link and like it. What does it take to set it up? Is someone willing to take the lead in this? What are the costs? Does it help you get an attorney in the imminent arrest part of the system? Thanks for the post.