• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mother-in-law in bank shootout

mahkagari

imported post

I opened my Facebook this w/e to see my MIL's status say"there was an armed robbery of(bank) this morning, have never seen so many folks including me hit the floor so quickly. Got a helluva fright. oh well this is South Africa."

The thing that astounded me was how blasé everyone there was about it. She was at a mall in a cafe when the shootout was on the next floor. I was impressed that everyone hit the floor quickly, but then they just went about their business. After it was safe to get up, she and her friend went into their post-adrenaline laughter/tears and went about their meal. She remarked, "Of course, by then the food was cold."

I shook my head and said (via Skype), "Seems like over there a waiter spilling a glass of water on you would cause about as much of an upset." They laughed and agreed. I said, "At least in CO we're allowed to shoot back." They agreed with that too.

CO-Joe

imported post

By some accounts I've read, I understand that can be quite the hostile place for people as pale as I. I wonder why it always seems like the places good people need to be armed are the hardest places for them to do so...:quirky

Statesman

imported post

CO-Joe wrote:
By some accounts I've read, I understand that can be quite the hostile place for people as pale as I. I wonder why it always seems like the places good people need to be armed are the hardest places for them to do so...:quirky
Armed peasants are harder to subjugate.