• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City Council Meeting Tomorrow

redboneshadow

imported post

expand the scope of Disorderly Conduct on Buses and clarify the scope of Weapons in Public Places.

I plan on attending along with some others to make sure our voices are heard and reasonable heads prevail. Anyone else who wants to join us are welcome. City Council at City Hall Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 1:30 p.m.

redboneshadow

imported post

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 1:30 p.m. - SPECIAL MEETING
City Council Meeting at City Hall in Seattle. If you want to speak it is encouraged that you arrive about 15 min early to sign up.
(20 minutes, to 2:40 p.m.)
BRIEFING AND DISCUSSION
AN ORDINANCE relating to the City's criminal code; amending and adding various sections and subsections in chapters 12A.06, 12A.08, 12A.10, 12A.12 and 12A.14 of the Seattle Municipal Code to conform with changes in state law, authorize impoundment of a vehicle used in committing Patronizing a Prostitute, expand the scope of Disorderly Conduct on Buses and clarify the scope of Weapons in Public Places.
Date introduced/referred: November 16, 2009

Committee: Public Safety, Human Services and Education
Sponsor: BURGESS

Code:
Section 9.  Section 12A.14.083 of the Seattle Municipal Code is
amended as follows:

12A.14.083  Weapons in public places.

[u]A.[/u]  It is unlawful to knowingly carry or shoot any spring gun,
air gun, sling or slingshot, in, upon or onto any public place.

[u]B.  For purposes of this section, "public place" means an area
generally open to the public, regardless of whether it is privately owned,
and includes, but is not limited to, streets, sidewalks, bridges, alleys,
plazas, parks, parking lots, transit stations, transit vehicles and
buildings.
[/u]
[u]      [/u]
Section 10.  This ordinance shall take effect and be in force
thirty (30) days from and after its approval by the Mayor, but if not
approved and returned by the Mayor within ten (10) days after
presentation, it shall take effect as provided by Municipal Code Section

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

so they want to be like kent and steal ones car. remeber to borrow your friends then they can't take it :)

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

well wasting taxpayers money on something that should be legal is a joke.

"It is unlawful to knowingly carry or shoot any spring gun,
air gun, sling or slingshot, in, upon or onto any public place" wont affect firearms

Tawnos

imported post

redboneshadow wrote:
Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 1:30 p.m. - SPECIAL MEETING
City Council Meeting at City Hall in Seattle. If you want to speak it is encouraged that you arrive about 15 min early to sign up.
(20 minutes, to 2:40 p.m.)
BRIEFING AND DISCUSSION
AN ORDINANCE relating to the City's criminal code; amending and adding various sections and subsections in chapters 12A.06, 12A.08, 12A.10, 12A.12 and 12A.14 of the Seattle Municipal Code to conform with changes in state law, authorize impoundment of a vehicle used in committing Patronizing a Prostitute, expand the scope of Disorderly Conduct on Buses and clarify the scope of Weapons in Public Places.
Date introduced/referred: November 16, 2009

Committee: Public Safety, Human Services and Education
Sponsor: BURGESS

Code:
Section 9.  Section 12A.14.083 of the Seattle Municipal Code is
amended as follows:

12A.14.083  Weapons in public places.

[u]A.[/u]  It is unlawful to knowingly carry or shoot any spring gun,

[u]B.  For purposes of this section, "public place" means an area
generally open to the public, regardless of whether it is privately owned,
and includes, but is not limited to, streets, sidewalks, bridges, alleys,
plazas, parks, parking lots, transit stations, transit vehicles and
buildings.
[/u]
[u]      [/u]
Section 10.  This ordinance shall take effect and be in force
thirty (30) days from and after its approval by the Mayor, but if not
approved and returned by the Mayor within ten (10) days after
presentation, it shall take effect as provided by Municipal Code Section
Are spring guns not considered a form of arms?

massivedesign

imported post

For purposes of this section, "public place" means an area generally open to the public, regardless of whether it is privately owned
Doesn't this comment pretty much screw everyplace? They are placing an ordinance on private shops & businesses?

For purposes of this section, "public place" means an area generally open to the public, regardless of whether it is privately owned, and includes, but is not limited to, streets, sidewalks, bridges, alleys, plazas, parks, parking lots, transit stations, transit vehicles and buildings.
Ummmm.. Sidewalks? Streets?

People, am I reading this WAY wrong, or is this ordinance going to blanket the ENTIRE City? Pretty much making Seattle a weapon free zone?

Superlite27

imported post

People, am I reading this WAY wrong, or is this ordinance going to blanket the ENTIRE City? Pretty much making Seattle a weapon free zone?

Pretty much making Seattle a weapon free zone?

Not a "weapon free zone"

It is unlawful to knowingly carry or shoot any spring gun,

Just a "spring gun, air gun, sling, or slingshot free zone."

I don't see any mention of the word "firearm".

BTW: I thought a "spring gun" was a gun rigged to fire without being touched?

How do you "knowingly carry" something that isn't carried?

redboneshadow

imported post

In light of presented information in the form of the actual law on the books. The so called weapons issue they are considering covers toy type guns. Hence to show up armed and in plain sight would be like taking real guns to a toy gun show. Or liken it to inviting a motorcycle gang to a formal wedding. I and we will save our efforts and artillery for bigger prey. No sense spending all your money at the circus.

Mike Cheney--Seattle

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

I agree with you mike very much. Showing up there armed might do our cause more harm than good. But maybe I'll go concealled carry and talk to the issue. The issue in turning the next generation into a bunch of pussies. Kids love Airsoft. With child obesity on the rise, and kids getting into drugs and alcohol at younger ages, the city council or our enimies at cease fire have put on the agenda taking away the freedom and responsibility that goes with gun ownership. This is just another tactic to brain wash the next generation into "guns are bad". How many of you out their saw in basic trainning the kids from these anti gun cities have to be restarted back to week 4 because they couldn't pick up rifleman skill. I also think this is a great opprotunity for law enforcement to step up and have positive interaction with kids about guns, gun safety and any concerns they might have about calls of man with a gun, come up with safety rules for air soft.I personally would love to see airsoft leagues like soccer leagues but that would be a serious blow to the Cease Fire agenda.