• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Scanner Audio of North Seattle SWAT Callout - Suicidal Individual

grishnav

imported post

This is all SPD is releasing...

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2009/11/16/suicidal-barricaded-man/

Suicidal Barricaded man

On 11/15/09, at approximately 6:30 p.m., officers responded to 143rd and Stoneway Av N to a call of a suspect who was suicidal, and had access to several firearms.

Officers responded and contained the block around the suspects home, and called for Hostage Negotiators (HNT) and SWAT. SWAT arrived and took the inner perimeter around the suspects house, and HNT was able to establish contact with the suspect via cell phone. The suspect agreed to exit the house and was taken into custody by SWAT. A loaded .45 caliber handgun was removed from the home and put into evidence for safekeeping.

The suspect was taken to HMC for a mental health evaluation.
[align=left]Seattle Crime has a bit more:[/align][align=left]http://www.seattlecrime.com/2009/11/15/swat-called-out-after-man-barricades-himself-in-haller-lake-townhome[/align][align=left]And I have scanner audio![/align][align=left]Full incident - 1:54:02 - here[/align][align=left]Time compressed - 27:16 - here
[/align]

tyguy808

imported post

"Oh my God, I hate my life! Someone call 911, cuz I'm gonna kill myself!"

OMG, Pu$$y! Do it already if you're gonna do it. Don't wait for the cops to show up, just do it. It's like cliff jumping, if you gotta think that long about it, you'll never do it! Way to go dude, waste my hard earned $$.

Another thing OT, they probably said he was "mentally ill" or something like that. What happened to plain old "crazy", like they used to call them in the old days? I know, I know.... "you can't call people that anymore", blah blah blah. Lets put this guys up in some looney bin for a bit, then cut him loose with therapy. I remember people like this used to get the old "hug yourself" jacket and put away.

compmanio365

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
If he really was suicidal he wouldn't be alive. What a waste of tax payer money. Isn't there a medical term for folks like this?
+1 million........there is the rare one that will kill themselves anyways, but usually it's a cry for help or a plea for attention.......most people that have made up their mind to kill themselves aren't going to call attention to themselves and won't have their mind changed by the police.....

FunkTrooper

imported post

Sorry if I have my facts wrong (I don't have time to listen to the audio), this guy is suicidal against himself didn't have any hostages but they brought in SWAT because he had access to firearms, but then when he came into custody did he ever have the gun on him because the report says they removed it from the home?

And why does it matter so much if he takes his own life anyway as long as he wasn't planning on killing anyone other than himself I don't see an issue with it. Why is it Police business whether or not someone makes the decision to end ones life or do cops consider suicide a self inflicted homicide.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

Doesn't look like he claimed to harm anyone else, I don't even know why a single cop even showed up let alone swat, they should have sent in a single person that calls themself a therapist.

grishnav

imported post

The police did receive a report that he would kill any officers that tried to intervene, but it's unclear whether he actually said this or not.

FunkTrooper

imported post

grishnav wrote:
The police did receive a report that he would kill any officers that tried to intervene, but it's unclear whether he actually said this or not.
That makes sense he threatens them to not intervene so instead of obeying his demand they decide to intervene with in force.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

So lemme get this straight, this guy wants to kill himself without anyone stopping him. So the first thing he does is calls the police to notify them of his activity and what he's doing then warns that anyone who shows up to help will be shot.

THEN. He waits patiently for them to get there, and gives up without trying.

Nice.

Attention Whore.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Or a lot of them have their priorities out of order. How about busting the meth lab down the street or cracking down on druggies?