Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary incident involving shots fired

Post imported post

I read on this forum quite frequently, but do not post much.While this incident does not fit into the "open carry" category, I figured it would be an interesting read.

I drive a taxi for norfolk checker cab, and always carry a gun underneath my left leg on the seat (fully concealed from view). On Saturday, my 12 hour shift started at 6PM. At approximately 11pm, I picked up 2 individuals from a bar on Hampton Blvd, and dropped them at RC's at Wards Corner. Shortly after midnight, the cab broke down and was towed back to headquarters. I was assigned another (much newer) cab to finish my shift. At 4:15 AM, I got a call to a residence on 28th st, but the passenger called back to cancel before I arrived. I pulled off of the road at 28th and Colley awaiting my next call. One of the individuals from the earlier call was on foot, and stated, "Do you remember me from earlier? You tookme and my buddyto the go-go bar." Are you waiting on anyone? I replied "NO, im not on a call at the moment." He said, "Cool. I need a ride up the street." I told him to get in and I would get him where he needed to go.

We traveled from 28th and Colley to 48th st and was instructed to turn left onto 48th. About 100 yards onto 48th, he said, "You can stop here. Do you have change for a 20?" I replied, "Yes." The total fare was $7.50. He handed me a crumpled piece of paper, and asked for 10 dollars back. It was still dark outside, so I figured it was a simple mistake that he handed me this paper instead of a 20. I turned on the interior light and handed him back the illegible piece of paper. Now the scary part.

He grabbed me by my right shirt sleeve and attempted to pull me towards the back seat through the 2 front seats. He menacingly says "Give me 10 dollars" all while he is still trying to drag me to the rear seat. I grabbed my trusty glock 30 in.45ACP in my left hand, expecting him to see the gun and get out of the cab to run. At this point, he begins to violently punch me in the side of my head and face, the first of which disoriented me and made me dizzy. I then leveled the gun at him at point blank range and he grabbed my arm in attempt to get the gun from me. I immediately fired 1 shot at his torso which sent him flying backwards into the rear seat. Somehow I missed him, and will never understand how, since the gun was less than 6 inches from his chest when it was fired. The round went out the passenger's rear window totally obliterating it. The bg hurriedly exits thedrivers side of the cab and walks 10 paces away and gives me a very blank, expressionless stare of disbelief before calmly jogging away behind an apartment building. I would have given chase but I was still dizzy and my ears were still ringing from the blast.

Police and the cab company were notified, and a K9 was walked around the building where the bg departed, to see if blood was present.

I was not seriously injured, just bruises and a terrible headache. The bg did not smell of alcohol or marijuana, although he had been drinking when he was picked up and dropped off earlier in the night. I do suspect he was on some serious illicit drugs (PCP, extacy, morphine, etc).

These cabs have video cameras. The first cab thathad broken down had been sent back out after being repaired, and the video loop over-recorded footage of him getting in. The camera in the cab where the incident occurred was malfunctioning entirely, and recorded nothing.

My only regret was that I missed. The responding officer even said it would have made his job much easier had I connected.

Post imported post

At least you're alive to tell us the story.

Stay safe.

Post imported post

What day did this happen on? The 14th?

Post imported post

4:15 Sunday morning, the 15th.

Post imported post

Glad to see you're still alive. Yeah, it would be better if he had assumed room temperature and there was one less scumbag on the street, but it is better to be alive at the end of the day. Just give thanks you are still alive to tell the tale. Take some time off, a vacation, get OUT of the cab for a week if you can. You need time to decompress, Brother.

If your company has an Employee Assistance Program, I would like to suggest you see your EAP counsellor. They have cousellors to talk to and help you through traumatic incidents. You've been through a LOT, even though you may not admit or accept it right now. if you don't have this, there are other avenues. Send me a PM if you want to talk about those.

Trust me, Brother. Take a break and talk to someone.

Semper Paratus;

Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting 3 times.

Glad it worked out this time.

You should take some classes in weapon retention and close quarters combat, it'll help in the future.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

InsuredByGlock wrote:
    I would have given chase...
    and then what?

P.S. Glad yer ok.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Glad you are ok. As to giving chase, what good would that do? You protected yourself andproblem was mitigated. Stay alert and let Police do their job of catching BG.

I agree with MSC check with the cab company about Employee Assistance Program (EAP). You need to talk this out.

Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

That was 3 blocks from me!:what:I'm glad that you had your Glock on you. Maybe think about a laser sight since you deal with close quarters. That way you could just make sure the dot was on the right spot. I'm thankful that you are ok man!

EDIT: do you have a video camera in your car?

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Maybe think about a laser sight since you deal with close quarters. That way you could just make sure the dot was on the right spot.
    At contact distance a better option is a contact shot...as many contact shots as possible. If he is beating the snot out of you and pulling you into the backseat as was the case here, looking for thatGAY red or green dot will only slow you down.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Maybe think about a laser sight since you deal with close quarters. That way you could just make sure the dot was on the right spot.
    At contact distance a better option is a contact shot...as many contact shots as possible. If he is beating the snot out of you and pulling you into the backseat as was the case here, looking for thatGAY red or green dot will only slow you down.
    :what:

ACK!

Does the Glock have a similar disconnect like the 1911 where if the pistol is pushed into an object too farit will fail to fire?
    I know a few semiautos have them, but revolvers don't.

The only thing I'd feel confident doing the "Push till you feel flesh and pulling the bang switch" would be a revolver.
    Otherwise, I might do the "push till you feel contact, then pull back and pull bang switch..."

That would require training, familiarity and experience. Things that very few of our fellow OCers have. He did the right thing, too bad he didn't keep pushing the bang switch till it was "over".

We can Monday Morning Quarterback this to death, but bottom line: He's still alive and there's one mope out there that will think twice before trying that again. They have a good chance at catching him with the info they have... This is good.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Mike,

Big difference between making contact and jamming the pistol into the BG. I'll share a very personal story with you relating to this next time we meet.

Craig
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    :what:

ACK!

Does the Glock have a similar disconnect like the 1911 where if the pistol is pushed into an object too farit will fail to fire?
    I know a few semiautos have them, but revolvers don't.

most modern semi-autos won't fire if the slide is pushed back out of battery. It's more for safety than anything else, if the gun fires out of battery you'll likely have a case failure and instead of sending lead downrange you'll get a face full of gas and shrapnel.

That said, there are also some modern semi-autos that are designed so the slide isn't easily pushed back from pressing the muzzle against something. Springfield XDs are one example, they have that flat wide end of the guide rod.

my everyday carry piece (3rd gen S&W) has a strong recoil spring, and combined with the full length SS guide rod, is less succeptable to this problem than say a 1911.

Post imported post

My new Kimber is pretty hard to push out of battery,too.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Fine. I didn't think of that but that is a good idea.

Post imported post

I'm glad this had a happy ending. But can someone explain to me how this was legal for him to use lethal force? The BG only had a fist. From everything that I know about Virginia law lethal force in this case would not be legal. Is it because he's a Taxi driver and is in his place of business?

Post imported post

ravonaf wrote:
    I'm glad this had a happy ending. But can someone explain to me how this was legal for him to use lethal force? The BG only had a fist. From everything that I know about Virginia law lethal force in this case would not be legal. Is it because he's a Taxi driver and is in his place of business?
    Huh

You don't believe someone can beat you to death or unconsciouswith only their fist?
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

ravonaf wrote:
    That scene at the end of The Godfather comes to mind... "Hello Carlo..."

TFred

Post imported post

ravonaf wrote:
    Punching someone in the head is deadly force.

Post imported post

ravonaf wrote:
    Obviously he felt in fear for his life and in fear that harm would *continue* to come to him. As would any of us being dragged into the back seat and beaten about the head. Haven't you ever watched UFC or Boxing? They get beaten pretty good with just fists...

Post imported post

Hmm. Forget the law, think about this on a practical level.

Bad guy (BG) demands money and grabs the good guy (GG) and attempts to pull him to the back seat. BG has just initiated force.

GG grabs gun.

BG responds to gun by escalating force, and attempting to disarm GG.

In a confined space, pinned by your clothing is a really crappy place to be beat up. While I'm sure our hero (GG) in this situation doesn't want to think about it, pulling someone into the back is a great way to get someone into a choke hold, either strangling them or causing neck injury. He responded with the amount of force that he had and could reasonably use, effectively.

I'm sorry but using your hands in this manner is particuarly sinister. Using a weapon is easy and impersonal - beating someone over $10 is a lot of work and is just plain cruel. The whole situation reeks of either drugs (as mentioned) or this guy just being a spawn of satan.

Sounds like the OP's user name came true. I'm glad you got through this OK, and I hope you make a speedy recovery from your injuries. Headaches are no fun.

Post imported post

According to what I was taught. If you are in a fist fight and getting the crap beat out of you it is not legal to escalate the incident to lethal force. The BG did not have a weapon. I can easily see this going to trial.

Post imported post

ravonaf wrote:
    According to what I was taught. If you are in a fist fight and getting the crap beat out of you it is not legal to escalate the incident to lethal force. The BG did not have a weapon. I can easily see this going to trial.

Since you were taught this, you can provide some references to what you are referring to.

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    ravonaf wrote:

Since you were taught this, you can provide some references to what you are referring to.
    Well, considering it's common knowledge that Virginia law says you must reasonably have fear of being killed or being seriously injured (yourself or others) do I really need to cite a quote? What I'm saying is a DA is going to go after a cab driver for shooting a man that was admittedly only going after $10 and only swinging a fist. I can easily see a Jury convicting this man.

What I was taught is that a single man swinging a fist and getting killed for it is going to go to trial. I know I don't fear death from a couple swings. Maybe you do.

Post imported post

It's common knowledge that only people who feel the need to prove themselves to be "tough guys" ever argue that punches to the head don't constitute lethal force.

Them, and HankT.

:P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast