• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scary incident involving shots fired

InsuredByGlock

imported post

I read on this forum quite frequently, but do not post much.While this incident does not fit into the "open carry" category, I figured it would be an interesting read.

I drive a taxi for norfolk checker cab, and always carry a gun underneath my left leg on the seat (fully concealed from view). On Saturday, my 12 hour shift started at 6PM. At approximately 11pm, I picked up 2 individuals from a bar on Hampton Blvd, and dropped them at RC's at Wards Corner. Shortly after midnight, the cab broke down and was towed back to headquarters. I was assigned another (much newer) cab to finish my shift. At 4:15 AM, I got a call to a residence on 28th st, but the passenger called back to cancel before I arrived. I pulled off of the road at 28th and Colley awaiting my next call. One of the individuals from the earlier call was on foot, and stated, "Do you remember me from earlier? You tookme and my buddyto the go-go bar." Are you waiting on anyone? I replied "NO, im not on a call at the moment." He said, "Cool. I need a ride up the street." I told him to get in and I would get him where he needed to go.

We traveled from 28th and Colley to 48th st and was instructed to turn left onto 48th. About 100 yards onto 48th, he said, "You can stop here. Do you have change for a 20?" I replied, "Yes." The total fare was $7.50. He handed me a crumpled piece of paper, and asked for 10 dollars back. It was still dark outside, so I figured it was a simple mistake that he handed me this paper instead of a 20. I turned on the interior light and handed him back the illegible piece of paper. Now the scary part.

He grabbed me by my right shirt sleeve and attempted to pull me towards the back seat through the 2 front seats. He menacingly says "Give me 10 dollars" all while he is still trying to drag me to the rear seat. I grabbed my trusty glock 30 in.45ACP in my left hand, expecting him to see the gun and get out of the cab to run. At this point, he begins to violently punch me in the side of my head and face, the first of which disoriented me and made me dizzy. I then leveled the gun at him at point blank range and he grabbed my arm in attempt to get the gun from me. I immediately fired 1 shot at his torso which sent him flying backwards into the rear seat. Somehow I missed him, and will never understand how, since the gun was less than 6 inches from his chest when it was fired. The round went out the passenger's rear window totally obliterating it. The bg hurriedly exits thedrivers side of the cab and walks 10 paces away and gives me a very blank, expressionless stare of disbelief before calmly jogging away behind an apartment building. I would have given chase but I was still dizzy and my ears were still ringing from the blast.

Police and the cab company were notified, and a K9 was walked around the building where the bg departed, to see if blood was present.

I was not seriously injured, just bruises and a terrible headache. The bg did not smell of alcohol or marijuana, although he had been drinking when he was picked up and dropped off earlier in the night. I do suspect he was on some serious illicit drugs (PCP, extacy, morphine, etc).

These cabs have video cameras. The first cab thathad broken down had been sent back out after being repaired, and the video loop over-recorded footage of him getting in. The camera in the cab where the incident occurred was malfunctioning entirely, and recorded nothing.

My only regret was that I missed. The responding officer even said it would have made his job much easier had I connected.

nova

imported post

At least you're alive to tell us the story.:)

Stay safe.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Glad to see you're still alive. Yeah, it would be better if he had assumed room temperature and there was one less scumbag on the street, but it is better to be alive at the end of the day. Just give thanks you are still alive to tell the tale. Take some time off, a vacation, get OUT of the cab for a week if you can. You need time to decompress, Brother.

If your company has an Employee Assistance Program, I would like to suggest you see your EAP counsellor. They have cousellors to talk to and help you through traumatic incidents. You've been through a LOT, even though you may not admit or accept it right now. if you don't have this, there are other avenues. Send me a PM if you want to talk about those.

Trust me, Brother. Take a break and talk to someone.

Semper Paratus;

Mike

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Glad you are ok. As to giving chase, what good would that do? You protected yourself andproblem was mitigated. Stay alert and let Police do their job of catching BG.

I agree with MSC check with the cab company about Employee Assistance Program (EAP). You need to talk this out.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

That was 3 blocks from me!:what:I'm glad that you had your Glock on you. Maybe think about a laser sight since you deal with close quarters. That way you could just make sure the dot was on the right spot. I'm thankful that you are ok man!:)

EDIT: do you have a video camera in your car?

ODA 226

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Maybe think about a laser sight since you deal with close quarters. That way you could just make sure the dot was on the right spot.

At contact distance a better option is a contact shot...as many contact shots as possible. If he is beating the snot out of you and pulling you into the backseat as was the case here, looking for thatGAY red or green dot will only slow you down.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Maybe think about a laser sight since you deal with close quarters. That way you could just make sure the dot was on the right spot.

At contact distance a better option is a contact shot...as many contact shots as possible. If he is beating the snot out of you and pulling you into the backseat as was the case here, looking for thatGAY red or green dot will only slow you down.

:what:

ACK!

Does the Glock have a similar disconnect like the 1911 where if the pistol is pushed into an object too farit will fail to fire?
I know a few semiautos have them, but revolvers don't.

The only thing I'd feel confident doing the "Push till you feel flesh and pulling the bang switch" would be a revolver.
Otherwise, I might do the "push till you feel contact, then pull back and pull bang switch..."

That would require training, familiarity and experience. Things that very few of our fellow OCers have. He did the right thing, too bad he didn't keep pushing the bang switch till it was "over".

We can Monday Morning Quarterback this to death, but bottom line: He's still alive and there's one mope out there that will think twice before trying that again. They have a good chance at catching him with the info they have... This is good.

ODA 226

imported post

Mike,

Big difference between making contact and jamming the pistol into the BG. I'll share a very personal story with you relating to this next time we meet.

Craig

nova

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

:what:

ACK!

Does the Glock have a similar disconnect like the 1911 where if the pistol is pushed into an object too farit will fail to fire?
I know a few semiautos have them, but revolvers don't.
most modern semi-autos won't fire if the slide is pushed back out of battery. It's more for safety than anything else, if the gun fires out of battery you'll likely have a case failure and instead of sending lead downrange you'll get a face full of gas and shrapnel.

That said, there are also some modern semi-autos that are designed so the slide isn't easily pushed back from pressing the muzzle against something. Springfield XDs are one example, they have that flat wide end of the guide rod.

my everyday carry piece (3rd gen S&W) has a strong recoil spring, and combined with the full length SS guide rod, is less succeptable to this problem than say a 1911.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Fine. I didn't think of that but that is a good idea.

ravonaf

imported post

I'm glad this had a happy ending. But can someone explain to me how this was legal for him to use lethal force? The BG only had a fist. From everything that I know about Virginia law lethal force in this case would not be legal. Is it because he's a Taxi driver and is in his place of business?

Marco

imported post

ravonaf wrote:
I'm glad this had a happy ending. But can someone explain to me how this was legal for him to use lethal force? The BG only had a fist. From everything that I know about Virginia law lethal force in this case would not be legal. Is it because he's a Taxi driver and is in his place of business?
Huh:question::question::question:

You don't believe someone can beat you to death or unconsciouswith only their fist?

TFred

imported post

ravonaf wrote:
That scene at the end of The Godfather comes to mind... "Hello Carlo..."

TFred

KBCraig

imported post

ravonaf wrote:
Punching someone in the head is deadly force.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

ravonaf wrote:

Obviously he felt in fear for his life and in fear that harm would *continue* to come to him. As would any of us being dragged into the back seat and beaten about the head. Haven't you ever watched UFC or Boxing? They get beaten pretty good with just fists...