• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Areas in Pierce County to shoot

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Are there any particularly good spots to go shooting outdoors in Pierce County? I've searched and found a couple threads but they were about different counties, and one led to an antiquated interactive map. I live in Tacoma and want to find the closest spot that I can go out target shooting without having to pay range fees.

Thanks!

oldkim

imported post

To be honest - you're not likely to find a spot in Pierce County.

Your best bet is to pay the $5 range fee at Tacoma Sportsman's Club off Canyon Road (rifle, shotgun, archeryand pistol ranges) or go to one of the indoor ranges - Bullseye near the Tacoma Dome orThe Marksman off Canyon Road.

Or keep on driving up to one of the spots you found listed in other counties. There are many member only ranges too.

Bobarino

imported post

range 15 at Ft. Lewis is my favorite. as for just shooting in the woods, you can head out towards South Prairie Creek and Carbonado and find some off the beaten path areas there but be careful because Mt Rainier Nat'l Park borders are nearby. there aren't too many place around that haven't been developed nowadays, or are too near homes to be safe to shoot.

Bobby

ScottyDog

imported post

There used to be tons of great outdoor spots to go shooting. Then the rednecks decided to start dumping old washers and dryers.

Amazingly enough the private landowners started gating their roads, and counties started shutting down many areas.

I remember how cool the Sultan Basin used to be, then yup... trash dumpers and armed drunks destroyed that one. I've heard that some areas are opened again but I'll never go there again because of the drunk shooters that try an intimidate people.

Side note. After they closed down sultan, all the d-bags went out east of Granite Falls and started doing the same.... Guess what... 3 GREAT shooting areas were closed in less than a year.

I know a few more great places outdoors but I wont tell anyone where they are because of the above.

/me steps down from soapbox

compmanio365

imported post

ScottyDog wrote:
There used to be tons of great outdoor spots to go shooting. Then the rednecks decided to start dumping old washers and dryers.

Amazingly enough the private landowners started gating their roads, and counties started shutting down many areas.

I remember how cool the Sultan Basin used to be, then yup... trash dumpers and armed drunks destroyed that one. I've heard that some areas are opened again but I'll never go there again because of the drunk shooters that try an intimidate people.

Side note. After they closed down sultan, all the d-bags went out east of Granite Falls and started doing the same.... Guess what... 3 GREAT shooting areas were closed in less than a year.

I know a few more great places outdoors but I wont tell anyone where they are because of the above.

I know of one place down south that I won't frequent because of ignorant people that make it unsafe for everyone.....I know of a place out east that I always go to get a little target practice in, and I won't share it with anyone except friends and family.

Logan80

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
ScottyDog wrote:

I know of one place down south that I won't frequent because of ignorant people that make it unsafe for everyone.....I know of a place out east that I always go to get a little target practice in, and I won't share it with anyone except friends and family.
Thanks for posting to let us know you won't tell us anything....:)

Tawnos

imported post

ScottyDog wrote:

Sultan basin's been a lot better. A number of us worked to pick up the trash (had the pit almost trash-free in july!), and when there are groups there we do our best to set up a clear, safe line and regulate it.