• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Question for WY's re: the State Legislature

MountainGator

imported post

Ok, come 100 days or so (I believe 2/22) the Federal Ban on weapons in NP's will expire, and each NP - or each state section of YNP - will revertto "State Rules".

Now I'm a MT resident w/ MT & FL CWP's so I'm legal to carry (CCW) in WY.

However, WY has aBAN on firearms in (WY) State Parks - that's the big reason why we don't do any camping in the state parks when we're in WY.

So here's the question... Since the WY Legislature sees fit to ban firearms in State Parks, what is the chance that they will also pass a ban on firearms in National Parks (TNP & YNP)?

MatieA

imported post

Wy state park rules are found at the link below. Nowhere does it say that you can't have a firearm in a state park.

http://soswy.state.wy.us/Rules/RULES/6990.pdf

Section 16. Public Safety.
(a) Unless otherwise provided on park lands, no person shall:
(i) Possess explosives of any kind on park lands.
(ii) Use or display any weapon in a threatening manner.
(iii) Discharge a firearm or other projectile device, or otherwise purposefully or negligently endanger the life of any person or creature within any park lands. The discharge of a firearm or other projectile device while engaged in hunting or fishing as authorized by Wyoming Game and Fish Commission regulations is authorized except within 400 yards of any public use facility or activity area, including picnic areas, campgrounds, private cabin and concession areas, boat ramps, hard surfaced roads, designated trails, and parking lots.

bobcat

imported post

News to me too, as we frequent state parks when we visit. Wyoming also has a powerful pre-emption law you may want to look up.

I'll likely be CC'g in the national parks initially to sort of 'see how things go'.

If I'm in the back country exclusively and in bear warning areas, I may OC the big revolver for safety's sake... It's really nice to know I can carry without fear of losing my firearm, a vehicle search, harrassment and possible charges. All just for protecting my family...