Thread: Making sure I got it all right

Post imported post

I may be moving to Iowa in the next few months for a job. As someone coming from a state with an intricate web of firearms laws, I want to make sure I have everything down pat.

From my readings and obervations I have surmised:

-NFA items are not allowed period.
    -No restrictions otherwise on what may be owned, as long as Federal regulations (prohibited firearms, length, etc.) are fine.
    -License required to purchase a handgun or revolver, but easy to get.
    -License (nonprofessional) required to carry, either openly or concealed; is also a may-issue state.

...is there anything else I've missed or is important to know for local regulations? I'll be moving to Dubuque assuming I get the job offer (I'm fairly confident I will).

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

You might check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/ for a good overview.

You can also search/google Iowa gun laws.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I have been searching around, but I've seen incomplete/conflicting information so I'm gathering what I've found and I'm hoping to have someone either confirm or correct me. That site you linked me to only provides information on handguns, not on longguns or any NFA items, etc.

Post imported post

Looks about right. Because of the "may issue" laws concerning permits to carry the sheriff has discretion to deny anyone a permit for any reason. The Dubuque County sheriff is notorious for not issuing permits.

Some more information. Open carry is permitted outside of city limits. Keeping a firearm in the car is not protected by law. As best I can tell there is no legal protection from being fired by your employer, or being asked to leave by a property owner, for having a firearm locked in your car even though you have not broken Iowa or federal law concerning legal transport of firearms.

Even if you are fortunate enough to get a permit to carry your employer and any store you visit on your travels can, AFAICT, disarm you.

Post imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
    Looks about right. Because of the "may issue" laws concerning permits to carry the sheriff has discretion to deny anyone a permit for any reason. The Dubuque County sheriff is notorious for not issuing permits.

Some more information. Open carry is permitted outside of city limits. Keeping a firearm in the car is not protected by law. As best I can tell there is no legal protection from being fired by your employer, or being asked to leave by a property owner, for having a firearm locked in your car even though you have not broken Iowa or federal law concerning legal transport of firearms.

Even if you are fortunate enough to get a permit to carry your employer and any store you visit on your travels can, AFAICT, disarm you.
    Just to clarify, yes an employer could fire you if you carried while at work and it was against policy and a property owner can "ban" firearms from his property but in neither case would you be breaking any law unless you were asked to leave and did not do so, you could then be charged with trespassing. It's still not right and needs to be changed but I just wanted to point out that it has no legal ramifications as it does in some other states.

For the authority on Iowa weapons laws go to http://www.iowacarry.org/