• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in the news tonite 11/17

jfrey123

imported post

I heard a blip on the radio this morning, they played a 911 call where the woman said something like "OMG a guy has a GUN!!! He's just going about his business with it on his hip, not bothering anyone!!!!"

The ad goes on to describe a constitutional right, and ask "What has more people packin'?" It's supposed to be on the Fox news at 10pm tonite, channel 11 here in Reno.

Judge.410

imported post

Just read your post. Was wondering which radio station played this ,and was it like an advertisement? Haven't heard it yet but I'm able to listen to the radio most of the day. Thanks for the Info!

jfrey123

imported post

http://www.ktvu.com/video/21648218/index.html

So there's the link to the story. I can't really decide how I feel about it. The proper facts were presented, and everything sounded factually correct. I was impressed with the fairness of the reporter, although he did try to make the OC'er sound like they're all trying to scare the public with one question.

The cop at the end was an asshat. But I was impressed that he shared all the proper legal info with no misnomers. He even presented the law regarding the loaded weapon check. In CA, while UnloadedOC'ing, the Supreme Court ruled that officers can not disarm you simply for UOC, but they are allowed to inspect the firearm and verify it is unloaded as long as they don't run the serial number.

I dunno. YOu guys tell me what you think.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Legislative morons...

What about self-incrimination? What if the weapon is loaded? If carrying a loaded weapon is illegal, and I'm carrying one, I am required to incriminate myself by allowing the cops to inspect my weapon to ensure compliance? Must I also submit to searches of my pockets to make sure I'm not carrying drugs? Or more on topic, I assume it's illegal to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while carrying a firearm, must I submit to a blood test to verify I am in fact sober while OC?

Tim

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
In CA, while UnloadedOC'ing, the Supreme Court ruled that officers can not disarm you simply for UOC, but they are allowed to inspect the firearm and verify it is unloaded as long as they don't run the serial number.

FUD.

It was not the Supreme Court that made it possible for officers to inspect the loaded condition of our firearms. That, we can blame on the California State Legislators in enacting the Mulford Act (Now 12031PC). The Constitutionality of this legislated 'probable cause' is dubious and certain to be challenged pending incorporation.

yelohamr

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
jfrey123 wrote:
In CA, while UnloadedOC'ing, the Supreme Court ruled that officers can not disarm you simply for UOC, but they are allowed to inspect the firearm and verify it is unloaded as long as they don't run the serial number.

FUD.

It was not the Supreme Court that made it possible for officers to inspect the loaded condition of our firearms. That, we can blame on the California State Legislators in enacting the Mulford Act (Now 12031PC). The Constitutionality of this legislated 'probable cause' is dubious and certain to be challenged pending incorporation.
AKA: Califonia Assembly of Morons

Lostlittlerobot

imported post

At the phoenix rally the reporter says advocates showed up with automatic weapons. Is that an error? He didn't say fully, or semi, but it makes me think he meant to say fully.

Anyway I'd love to see this story redone for arizona or nevada, where its legal and regularly done to carry loaded and chambered, and where leo don't have the right to inspect the gun, and to get them to admit to that on camera.

I loved that in this story they admit they can't run serials.

Anyone with media contact...or skills/experience working with any reporters, lets show them this story, and see if we can get one done?

The Big Guy

imported post

Can a cop pull you over just to check that you have a drivers license? Can a cop stop you and ask for ID to determine if you're an ilegal? If you are drinking from a Burger King cup on a street corner can a cop take it from you to determine if it contains alcohol? I'm sure there are better examples, but the fact is anytime you are engaged in a legal activity and a cop detains you to check your status, without probable cause, your rights have beenviolated. In CA they have bypassed RAS by act of the Legislature. I'm sure eventually this will be struck down.

Judge.410

imported post

The officer said at the end he doesn't understand why a person would want to carry.......the guy told the reporter the police are not required to potect us,this was a ruling by the Supreme Court, they are not required to potect us. I bet that officer carry's(my brother was required to carry off duty) After that guy quits or retires I bet he will still carry. One gal put it like this......I carry a gun because I can't carry a policeofficer.....another, when seconds count the police are just minutes away. The young man didbasicly say......an armed society is a polite society. Glad to see the public somewhat being informed. I O.C. alot now in Reno even though I have a CCW. I'm thankful we have what we have here.......One in the Tube! Cocked and Locked!