• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another home invasion

kirkaroberts

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
swillden wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:
My son is not "ignorant of firearms". Quite the contrary, and there may come a day when I am able to trust that he would not pick up a real gun if he saw it.
That's an entirely different issue than the one I responded to. Specifically, I was responding to your claim that your son would expect you to respawn in 10 seconds. That's an extremely dangerous and easy-to-correct situation. If that's not really the issue, but rather that you don't trust his impulse control and/or ability to handle a firearm without supervision, then that's different.

kirkaroberts wrote:
I would not advise doing this without the anonymity of the internet to hide behind. I know that people just don't understand and shrug it off.
I'm not hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet. If you'd like to come find me in person, just ask and I'll give you my phone number and home address.
I second the notion that Swillden isn't trying to insult anybody. Never seen him post anything but good information for people. IMO one of the more unselfish distributors of information out there!

/wave Divegeek!
I am sure that Swillden means not harm, but he has caused it any way. You just do not tell others how to raise their children. It is one thing to "work with" or "spend time with" special needs kids. It is quite another to get them up every morning, tuck them in at night, take care of their problems during the night, and take care of them during the day, EVERY DAY! If you do not have a special needs child you don't get it. You simply don't get it.

I also said that I normally just shrug those kind of comments off because I know he doesn't get it. It's my wife he would want to steer clear of with his advise about parenthood. Instead of "that kid" he would be referring to "this black eye" or "this broken nose", as I tried to peel her off of him, no matter how bit he is. She is a small lady, but I learned in Alaska, you never underestimate the anger, strength, or power of a mama bear.

This is so for off subject of the tragic events in Payson that I have grown tired of talking about it. And quite honestly, I have grown tired of talking to people who want to discuss my child when they KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HIM! This is a poor site for me to be a part of. You have lost me as a supporter. That's one more. See how long it takes before you have no one left to stand beside you and fight for your rights at this rate.

This is my last post.

thx997303

imported post

Condemning the entire membership of OCDO for the (inoffensive) words of one member?

Painting with a broad brush are we?

We currently have near 23,000 members.

swillden

imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
It's my wife he would want to steer clear of with his advise about parenthood. Instead of "that kid" he would be referring to "this black eye" or "this broken nose", as I tried to peel her off of him, no matter how bit he is. She is a small lady, but I learned in Alaska, you never underestimate the anger, strength, or power of a mama bear.
Were I actually talking to your wife, she'd see my open, friendly and non-judgmental demeanor and take my comments in the spirit they were intended.

One of the disadvantages of a text-only channel (even with emoticons) is that there's so much non-verbal communication that gets missed that posts are often taken in a tone very different from intended. The only solution, especially when dealing with someone you don't yet have a feel for, is to give the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sorry you took my comments so badly. They certainly weren't intended to offend. I suppose I should have been a bit more careful since I've noticed that many of your initial posts were a bit "on edge". My general style is just to be straightforward and factual, without being either apologetic or aggressive, and usually people take it well even before they get to know me. After they get to know me they know I meant no offense.

Again, I apologize for any offense. It certainly wasn't intended. I also don't like being told how to raise my kids, but I guess I just didn't think suggestions like the one I offered rise to that level. Although I don't have a special needs child, you can trust me when I say that I know how difficult parenting can be and how judgmental people often are (I'm divegeek).

kirkaroberts

imported post

swillden wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:
It's my wife he would want to steer clear of with his advise about parenthood. Instead of "that kid" he would be referring to "this black eye" or "this broken nose", as I tried to peel her off of him, no matter how bit he is. She is a small lady, but I learned in Alaska, you never underestimate the anger, strength, or power of a mama bear.
Were I actually talking to your wife, she'd see my open, friendly and non-judgmental demeanor and take my comments in the spirit they were intended.

One of the disadvantages of a text-only channel (even with emoticons) is that there's so much non-verbal communication that gets missed that posts are often taken in a tone very different from intended. The only solution, especially when dealing with someone you don't yet have a feel for, is to give the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sorry you took my comments so badly. They certainly weren't intended to offend. I suppose I should have been a bit more careful since I've noticed that many of your initial posts were a bit "on edge". My general style is just to be straightforward and factual, without being either apologetic or aggressive, and usually people take it well even before they get to know me. After they get to know me they know I meant no offense.

Again, I apologize for any offense. It certainly wasn't intended. I also don't like being told how to raise my kids, but I guess I just didn't think suggestions like the one I offered rise to that level. Although I don't have a special needs child, you can trust me when I say that I know how difficult parenting can be and how judgmental people often are (I'm divegeek).
Ok, I'll admit, my fangs come out a bit quick when it comes to my kids, especially the most defenseless of the two. Sorry I jumped on you so hard. Take care.

kirkaroberts

imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
swillden wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:

Ok, I'll admit, my fangs come out a bit quick when it comes to my kids, especially the most defenseless of the two. Sorry I jumped on you so hard. Send me a private message and I'll buy you lunch at your convenience if you live nearby. I am assuming that you do. You and I have a lot in common. I read your story and trust me when I say, for what it's worth, you sound like a wonderful parent to me. Take care. Please, I am serious about buying you lunch and getting to know you.

swillden

imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
Ok, I'll admit, my fangs come out a bit quick when it comes to my kids, especially the most defenseless of the two. Sorry I jumped on you so hard. Take care.
No worries, man.

Your PM explained a lot. I think you'll find that most of the folks on this forum are really pretty good people. I feel for you and your family, and wish you all the best.

scorpioajr

imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:
swillden wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:
Ok, I'll admit, my fangs come out a bit quick when it comes to my kids, especially the most defenseless of the two. Sorry I jumped on you so hard. Send me a private message and I'll buy you lunch at your convenience if you live nearby. I am assuming that you do. You and I have a lot in common. I read your story and trust me when I say, for what it's worth, you sound like a wonderful parent to me. Take care. Please, I am serious about buying you lunch and getting to know you.

Wait, wait... What about lunch for the rest of us? :lol:
Swillden/Divegeek, don't accept his apology SO quick!! lol j/k

kirkaroberts

imported post

Swillden and I are ok. It was just a huge misunderstanding. I know you are all great people trying to save our 2nd Amendment rights. My son is just an area that is a hot button for me. Take it easy and keep up the fight.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

McX wrote:
Where do you guys come up with those cool avatars- I think they;re called. The one of the smiley face, getting crept up on by the bad guy, and whacking him is just the best!
They are called "emoticons". An avatar is the picture by your screen name, Dirty Harry in your case.