Thread: Public Library?

Post imported post

anything against OC in a public library? unless of course they have a sign.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post imported post

I know the libraries in Phoenix are all posted No Firearms. Which, in my opinion, is completely brain-dead. The libraries are funded by part of my taxes and I should have the option to take advantage of them without being disarmed.
    My location says I am from Sierra Vista, AZ which is where I live now but I actually lived in MO for 26 years! So please stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I post in the Missouri forum!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The Phoenix libraries I've been in have the required storage areas. Not that I agree with it, but it appearsthey meet the legal requirements of having storage bins if they ask you to disarm.

Post imported post

I know Peoria's has a NO WEAPONS sign, but they have lockers available for you.

Post imported post

Notso wrote:
    The Phoenix libraries I've been in have the required storage areas. Not that I agree with it, but it appearsthey meet the legal requirements of having storage bins if they ask you to disarm.
    yea i made that mistake in tempe. very quickly i was informed that no weapons were allowed so i made them store it... its not worth the trouble in my opinion. damn hippies got so scared

Post imported post

Look for signs. If no sign present, they can still tell you to disarm. If so, they are required to secure your weapon near the entrance to be made available to you upon checkout/exit.

Post imported post

Hubbyasked at our local library (Wilmot Library, Tucson) before we both went in. The gal asked "You don't plan on shooting anyone do you?" Answered "Of course not; unless someone else starts shooting first!" Librarian response "No problem!"

That was about six months ago though. Otherwise, I've not seen any signs, in Tucson anyways...

Post imported post

thanks guys. unfortunately, the library i go to is within 1000ft of a school
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post imported post

Grimes wrote:
    thanks guys. unfortunately, the library i go to is within 1000ft of a school
    Irrelevent!

The federal 1000 foot school rule is not enforced in AZ. Unless you are on school property, you are not violating any law in AZ.

Post imported post

i've heard mixed views on it and just because it's not enforced doesn't mean you have the slight chance you can still be charged with it
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post imported post

This is proof right here that you are trolling. The school zone law has been repeatedly clarified yet you constantly keep inserting it in every thread where it is not even relevant. As to the "mixed views" you refer to, I haven't seen any of that. Every time you bring the subject up, everybody gives you the exact same answer yet you don't seem to want to read and listen.

Post imported post

Here is my advice: Stop carrying guns. If you are this afraid of this school zone law that nobody enforces then maybe you should sell your firearms and get involved in some other hobby or carry something else on you. The rest of us here are perfectly content with open carrying in Arizona regardless of where a school is located.

Post imported post

RockyAcres wrote:
    Hubbyasked at our local library (Wilmot Library, Tucson) before we both went in. The gal asked "You don't plan on shooting anyone do you?" Answered "Of course not; unless someone else starts shooting first!" Librarian response "No problem!"

That was about six months ago though. Otherwise, I've not seen any signs, in Tucson anyways...
    I've O.C.'d at the Miller-Golf Links branch (right beside the police station) a number of times and no-one even raised an eyebrow. I love Arizona. Too bad about the heat...

Post imported post

protector84 wrote:
    This is proof right here that you are trolling. The school zone law has been repeatedly clarified yet you constantly keep inserting it in every thread where it is not even relevant. As to the "mixed views" you refer to, I haven't seen any of that. Every time you bring the subject up, everybody gives you the exact same answer yet you don't seem to want to read and listen.

what proof that i am trolling? i am just telling what i have been told by other people and if you can find anything that supports the 1000-foot zone does not exist, i'd like to see it. as for now, i have actual proof that such a zone does exist, even if it is not very enforceable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fre...es_Act_of_1990
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post imported post

Good ol' Wiki :?.

Post imported post

Who wanders about in school zones anyway? Pedo's?

Post imported post

Who wanders about in school zones anyway? Pedo's?
    Considering that the 1000 foot rule defining school zones works out to a 72 acre bubble around each school, it probably hard to find a spot in most urban or suburban areas that isn't a school zone.

I know that the whole downtown area of Prescott is within 1000 feet of a school and I see people carrying around there all the time, including chatting with police officers.

I don't see any more reason to worry about the Gun Free School Zones Act, than I do about the laws that are still on the books prohibiting women from wearing pants.
    http://arizonagunowners.com - The best AZ gun board around!

Post imported post

It is like other stupid laws still on the books such as ones banning "co-habitation" or even certain sex acts among married couples or laws regulating horse-n-buggies, etc. They may still be on the books but not only are they not enforced, the cops and even the courts don't even know what they are and wouldn't even be able to enforce them.

Post imported post

PavePusher wrote:
    RockyAcres wrote:

I've O.C.'d at the Miller-Golf Links branch (right beside the police station) a number of times and no-one even raised an eyebrow. I love Arizona. Too bad about the heat...
    Heat? What heat?

Oh. Southern AZ. Never mind. *GRIN*

Post imported post

The intitial gun free school zone act was struck down. The Supreme Court ruled that Congress did not have the authority to pass such a law being the constitution did not grant them that authority specifically. So Congresswith it's infinate lack of regard for the Constitution and the Supreme Court changedit to come under the Interstate Commerce Clause which they do have authority under the Constitution. They made the claim that since your firearm has at one time moved under interstate commerce, that they retain the right to regulate it. That makes as much sense as saying that since your shoes onced moved under interstate commerce that they have the right to tell you what day of the week you can wear them. This law, if you were charged under federal statutes, by federal authorities, would most likely with a good lawyer be tossed out rather quickly. Of couse Congress brings a lot of their laws under Commerce in an attempt to try to make them apear legit. This law is not enforced here in NV either by local LEO.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Post imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
    The intitial gun free school zone act was struck down. The Supreme Court ruled that Congress did not have the authority to pass such a law being the constitution did not grant them that authority specifically. So Congresswith it's infinate lack of regard for the Constitution and the Supreme Court changedit to come under the Interstate Commerce Clause which they do have authority under the Constitution. They made the claim that since your firearm has at one time moved under interstate commerce, that they retain the right to regulate it. That makes as much sense as saying that since your shoes onced moved under interstate commerce that they have the right to tell you what day of the week you can wear them. This law, if you were charged under federal statutes, by federal authorities, would most likely with a good lawyer be tossed out rather quickly. Of couse Congress brings a lot of their laws under Commerce in an attempt to try to make them apear legit. This law is not enforced here in NV either by local LEO.
    Good info. Unfortunately, it seems that reasoned answers will never be enough to overcome Grimes extreme paranoia regarding his "1000 ft from a School Zone" fixation.

Lord knows I'm glad I don't live in his world -- I'd have been insane long ago.

Post imported post

no its not extreme paranoia. i just tend to watch my back with laws. lets say by chance that you get a cop that decides to charge you with it. the legal fees of fighting it are not cheap.

"reasoned answers" do not make that act any less of an act.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post imported post

I think it is paranoia when the facts as well as dozens of other people's interpreatations have all demonstrated that the law is unconstitutional and not enforced. Local and state police don't even have authority to enforce most federal laws. So even if you are dealing with the infamous bad cop that doesn't like you, since he will either be a local police officer, county sheriff's deputy, or state trooper (DPS), he is not going to be able to arrest you with a violation of U.S.C. He would have to hold you for a federal agent and you would have to appear in a federal court. Any LEO that would go to this much trouble is stupid because not only would it get thrown out of court so fast, it would end up all over the newspapers and probably start public protests.

Being excessively concerned about laws that are not enforced is in many ways "paranoia." I heard that it is also against the law for women to wear pants in Tucson, AZ. I guess I better alert my female friends in Tucson to start wearing dresses and skirts if they don't want to be hauled to jail. After all, we don't want them to just happen to run into one bad cop......:what: